Bobbin case without part numbers?

Jayni Bloch

Hello Jim and Everyone,
I bought my 15k as a store model from a dealer and found that both the red and yellow dot bobbin cases have no part number engraved inside them. I looked online to see what happened if I order new bobbin cases and found that most stores do not show any part number inside the case at all.
Is this a new thing, or is it a cheap version? Also, How on earth am I going to distinguish the different cases on my different Janome machines. I own 3 and they all have different part numbers. Especially the M7 do not even operate if the wrong part is inserted.
Please help.
Thank you in advance.
Jayni Bloch

Jim Stutsman

Bobbin case part numbers change from model to model, even though the case itself actually does not. I would suggest you get 3 different colors of nail polish and put a different dot on each case so you know where it came from. The difference in most of the cases comes down to the presence or absence of the "flipper" that checks remaining bobbin thread, though there are different versions of the flipper version. Even before retiring I found that the part numbers in the part number manuals did not always match up to what I had to order. As long as the case fits easily, and the bobbin thread sensor works smoothly, then the case should to.

Jayni Bloch

Thank you Jim, but what if there is no number engraved in the bobbin case???

On Jan 26, 2022, at 1:35 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

Bobbin case part numbers change from model to model, even though the case itself actually does not. I would suggest you get 3 different colors of nail polish and put a different dot on each case so you know where it came from. The difference in most of the cases comes down to the presence or absence of the "flipper" that checks remaining bobbin thread, though there are different versions of the flipper version. Even before retiring I found that the part numbers in the part number manuals did not always match up to what I had to order. As long as the case fits easily, and the bobbin thread sensor works smoothly, then the case should to.

Cheryl Paul

The number engraved or printed in the bobbin case is very new - like less than 5 years is my guess. When I really noticed it was when I purchased my Continental M7 and thought - this is a good idea, why didn’t they do this sooner? The bobbin cases have been like those in the 15000 since the Janome 11000 came out and on all machines that have thread cutters. I can’t remember what the one on my 10000 looked like, but I do know that my Memory Craft 6000 had a different looking one. The Continental M7 has yet a different one because it has a laser light to check the amount of thread remaining on a bobbin. You weren’t sold a machine with an incorrect bobbin, just a machine that was made before the numbers were added to the bobbin case.

Happy sewing!

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Jayni Bloch

Thank you Cheryl!

On Jan 26, 2022, at 2:53 PM, Cheryl Paul <capaul@sasktel.net> wrote:

The number engraved or printed in the bobbin case is very new - like less than 5 years is my guess. When I really noticed it was when I purchased my Continental M7 and thought - this is a good idea, why didn’t they do this sooner? The bobbin cases have been like those in the 15000 since the Janome 11000 came out and on all machines that have thread cutters. I can’t remember what the one on my 10000 looked like, but I do know that my Memory Craft 6000 had a different looking one. The Continental M7 has yet a different one because it has a laser light to check the amount of thread remaining on a bobbin. You weren’t sold a machine with an incorrect bobbin, just a machine that was made before the numbers were added to the bobbin case.

Happy sewing!

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Lyn Quine

I asked Janome UK the same question, there’s two different numbers for the 15000, one is for the V2 15000 the other one is for the V3 Quiltmaker.  The upgraded machines use the V2 bobbin case.  But I have bought 2 for my upgraded machine both are the V2 case, both jump about so I’ve gone back to my original which I have filed down where it had a needle strike and it works ok.  I have double checked that I received the correct part number for my machine, they are, one was bought from a Janome dealer the second from Janome direct and they aren’t acknowledging that there could be a problem.  One of them (from the dealer) jumped and moved so much it twisted and jammed the machine and a deep groove has been carved in the case by the spring at the front of the bobbin race.