Birds Nest

rosematt11@...

I am quilting a table runner on my 12000 with the quilting embroidery hoop and getting nests of thread on the bottom side. I am using the single hole plate, tried both the red and yellow dot bobbins, and using 40 wt cotton thread. One or two will stitch out, then I start getting nests. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Rose M, Florida

Jim Stutsman

You may have a cotton lint buildup in between the tension discs. Take a strip of fabric (denim works well), fold it in half, and use the folded edge to "floss" through the tension slot. You may not see anything come out, but work it back and forth several times. Then rethread, and take a couple of stitches on scrap, stopping with the needle down and the presser foot down. Grab the thread just above the needle clamp and gently tug on it. You should feel resistance. If you don't, repeat the process. If this doesn't resolve the problem see your dealer. Also, if you have had a recent needle break before this started, you may have a nick in either the bobbin case or the hook race. Both would indicate time for dealer intervention.

Don't use the yellow dot case for anything but embroidery. For quilting use the red dot case, or if you have little loops on the bottom, the blue dot case available as an accessory.

Alison Wheelock

Jim,

Thank you for your information. Although I've been sewing with Janome machines for several years, I've never changed my bobbin case. Can you tell me more about the yellow dot and red dot cases? I think I have only one that came with my 15000.

Thanks!