Bird nests created under the bobbin.

cnystul in Mn.

Jim I am getting bird nests on my 12000 while trying to embroider. It seems like the threads get caught just on the outside of the bobbin holder. That's where I pull out the threads. Any ideas that I can do or do I have to take my machine in. Thanks! Cathy

Jim Stutsman

There are many possible causes, but these are the top 4:
  1. The needle thread comes out of the take-up lever, or was never securely in it to begin with. This is usually quite obvious.
  2. No tension on the needle thread. Normally this would only happen if something was stuck in the tension. It can usually be fixed by "flossing" the tension with a strip of fabric like denim.
  3. Burrs on the bobbin case, needle plate, presser foot, or hook race. Initially the burrs happen because a broken needle and/or bird nest. If not fixed, the problem will continue to happen, causing more damage.
  4. Designs with very short stitches using a needle or thread that is too large. Outline stitches are often only 1mm long. A size 14 needle makes a hole 1.4mm wide. That can lead to two stitches in the same hole, resulting in a loop that doesn't pull up. In no time a bird nest will form. This can also happen using a thread that is 40wt. For really short stitches 60wt is better.

Suzanne Martin

Love cause #4!  That one is new to me and definitely something that will help me.

Thank you!

Suzanne Martin, Broker, GRI

MPI Realty

(407) 234-6906