Binding foot

Jeanette <gtlgal2622@...>

I recently saw Jim was using the binding foot on quilts. How does one turn the corner. I am very interested and I make quite a few quilts that go to hospitals and need secure binding since they get washed many times. Is it hard to learn?

Thanks in advance

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Well actually Jim can't use the Binding attachment for anything more than a paperweight. Diane is the one who uses it for binding whenever possible. She demonstrates it in the video for that attachment in our FootBook app (www.onlinesewing.com/footbook) and there are several videos online that also show how to use it. On the 12000 you can't use the actual foot that comes with it, but you will get much better results with the AD or VD foot anyway. The only drawback to the attachment is that it's pricey.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <gtlgal2622@...> wrote:

I recently saw Jim was using the binding foot on quilts. How does one turn the corner. I am very interested and I make quite a few quilts that go to hospitals and need secure binding since they get washed many times. Is it hard to learn?

Thanks in advance

Sherry Martin

If you don't want to spend the money on the binding foot; I've had very good results with sewing the binding on the back of the quilt; then turning it to the front and using the stitch-in-ditch foot on the dual feed to sew the binding down from the front by moving the needle just slightly to the right and running the tab on the foot along the edge of the binding; it even looked really good in the corners where a just ran the tab along the mitered edge to hold it down. Until I used this method on my new 12000 I never could get the binding to look very good by sewing it on the back; but now I love it.

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanette" <gtlgal2622@...> wrote:

I recently saw Jim was using the binding foot on quilts. How does one turn the corner. I am very interested and I make quite a few quilts that go to hospitals and need secure binding since they get washed many times. Is it hard to learn?

Thanks in advance

Patricia Ward

Yes, I did this as well with quilts that I was making for Project Linus and also with a few baby quilts I have done.  It is a great way to make sure that the binding stays on through washings and use.
I did mine with my 10000 when I was doing that and had no problems getting it to look nice.  The nice feature about the 12000 or even the 7700 or 6600 is the acufeed.  It does make things feed smoother than without it.  I did have to be sure there were not puckers or wrinkles and that everything was together well using the 10000.  What I did was use 505 spray to temporarily fuse the edges of the quilt so there would not be any shifting.

Pat

--- In janome12000@..., "Jeanette" >
> I recently saw Jim was using the binding foot on quilts.   How does one turn the corner.  I am very interested and I make quite a few quilts that go to hospitals and need secure binding since they get washed many times.   Is it hard to learn?
>
> Thanks in advance

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: