Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:08 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: binder attachment

Cheryl,

Does this use pre-folded binding?
Do you cut your own,what width?
Is it a single fold or a double fold like quilt binding?
What size binding does it make?

I have the 11000 machine and am thinking about getting it. The cost is high so I need to know something about how it works.

Ann Simon (in nowhere land) Bradford Pa.

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Ann it uses your own fabric in 2" strips (for 1/2 binding). We cover it in our FootBook app & DVD, and you can learn more about it here:
http://janomelife.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/janome-quilt-binder-lets-review-this-wonderful-attachment-part-1/

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Anna C Simon" <rbs11739@...> wrote:

Cheryl,

Does this use pre-folded binding?
Do you cut your own,what width?
Is it a single fold or a double fold like quilt binding?
What size binding does it make?

I have the 11000 machine and am thinking about getting it. The cost is high
so I need to know something about how it works.

Ann Simon (in nowhere land) Bradford Pa.

Anna C Simon <rbs11739@...>

Thank you both Donna and Jim, for information.

--- In janome12000@..., "Anna C Simon" wrote:

> Cheryl,
>
> Does this use pre-folded binding?
> Do you cut your own,what width?
> Is it a single fold or a double fold like quilt binding?
> What size binding does it make?
>
> I have the 11000 machine and am thinking about getting it. The cost is high
> so I need to know something about how it works.
>

> Ann Simon (in nowhere land) Bradford Pa.

Jo Lynch <jolynch12@...>

Hi Jim

The binder is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. I use it heaps
Jo

Ann it uses your own fabric in 2" strips (for 1/2 binding). We cover it in our FootBook app & DVD, and you can learn more about it here:
http://janomelife.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/janome-quilt-binder-lets-review-this-wonderful-attachment-part-1/

--- In janome12000@..., "Anna C Simon" wrote:

> Cheryl,
>
> Does this use pre-folded binding?
> Do you cut your own,what width?
> Is it a single fold or a double fold like quilt binding?
> What size binding does it make?
>
> I have the 11000 machine and am thinking about getting it. The cost is high
> so I need to know something about how it works.
>

> Ann Simon (in nowhere land) Bradford Pa.

Beverly Leischner

Hi Jo,
I like to have a double layer of fabric on my quilt bindings and understand that with the binder there is only one thickness where the binding folds over from one side to the other.
Is this how you do your bindings or have you found a way to have a double layer of fabric at the fold?
Do you think this edge will wear well on a quilt that is used a lot?   It wouldn't make much difference on a wall hanging but on table runners, pot holders and quilts that edge might show wear with just one layer.

Bev, Alberta, Canada

"....Hi Jim
The binder is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. I use it heaps
Jo"

Jo Lynch <jolynch12@...>

Yes Bev, it is only one layer.    I cannot manage quilts anymore, so only do Wall Hangings Table runners etc.  Perhaps someone else can help
Jo

I like to have a double layer of fabric on my quilt bindings and understand that with the binder there is only one thickness where the binding folds over from one side to the other.
Is this how you do your bindings or have you found a way to have a double layer of fabric at the fold?
Do you think this edge will wear well on a quilt that is used a lot?   It wouldn't make much difference on a wall hanging but on table runners, pot holders and quilts that edge might show wear with just one layer.

Bev, Alberta, Canada

"....Hi Jim
The binder is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. I use it heaps
Jo"

Vikki Youngmeyer

I wouldn’t use one layer binding on a table runner or quilt. However, I would have no problem using it on a potholder as that usually isn’t considered an “heirloom” item. So it wears out, you throw it away and make another one.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

This morning Diane took a 3 3/4" strip of fabric, folded and pressed it, and ran it through the binder. It worked great. She did use the narrow Dual Feed foot because it was already on the machine, which may or may not have been a factor.

I've received several emails inquiring about what the binder attachment is that we've been talking about. See this page for pictures and details of the attachment:
http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/pdf/janomebulletin/jtm-1018.pdf

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Beverly Leischner <bmleisch@...> wrote:

Hi Jo,
I like to have a double layer of fabric on my quilt bindings and
understand that with the binder there is only one thickness where the
binding folds over from one side to the other.
Is this how you do your bindings or have you found a way to have a
double layer of fabric at the fold?
Do you think this edge will wear well on a quilt that is used a lot?
It wouldn't make much difference on a wall hanging but on table
runners, pot holders and quilts that edge might show wear with just
one layer.

Bev, Alberta, Canada

Beverly Leischner

Jim and others who responded to my query about double binding.

Thanks for the new information Jim. I remember reading on Janome Canada's blog that Liz from Janome Canada had tried fusing two layers of binding fabric together then applying it with the binder attachment but I didn't like the idea as I thought it would be quite heavy and stiff. Price and being able to use only one layer decided me against buying the binder attachment but with Diane's discovery, I may have to rethink that decision.

I'm enjoying this list very much and getting lots of good information. It's where I go first for help or to see what others have learned and so nice to see familiar signatures from other sewing venues. You are like old friends.
Bev, Alberta, Canada

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Bev folding and pressing did the job for Diane. Reducing the width to 3 3/4" it compensates for the extra thickness. The thickness also suggests that the Narrow Dual Feed foot should be used. In her testing she used a fairly short piece, skipping the oversized paper clip guides and just guiding it by hand. That might be necessary for longer runs, or just skipping some of the guides, as the extra thickness might create a little drag going through them.

Thanks for regarding us a friends. Not too sure about the "old" part though!

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, Beverly Leischner <bmleisch@...> wrote:

Jim and others who responded to my query about double binding.

Thanks for the new information Jim. I remember reading on Janome
Canada's blog that Liz from Janome Canada had tried fusing two layers
of binding fabric together then applying it with the binder attachment
but I didn't like the idea as I thought it would be quite heavy and
stiff. Price and being able to use only one layer decided me against
buying the binder attachment but with Diane's discovery, I may have to
rethink that decision.

I'm enjoying this list very much and getting lots of good
information. It's where I go first for help or to see what others
have learned and so nice to see familiar signatures from other sewing
venues. You are like old friends.
Bev, Alberta, Canada

Julie

It would be wonderful to see some pictures of any projects that Diane has finished  with the binder.  Hint, hint.

How difficult is the binder to use if you are turning corners?

I like the way Diane has used the D foot for couching.  What a great idea.

Julie

Re: binder attachment

Posted by: "Jim_Stutsman" jim@...   Jim_Stutsman

Sat Jan 7, 2012 9:42 am (PST)

This morning Diane took a 3 3/4" strip of fabric, folded and pressed it, and ran it through the binder. It worked great. She did use the narrow Dual Feed foot because it was already on the machine, which may or may not have been a factor.

I've received several emails inquiring about what the binder attachment is that we've been talking about. See this page for pictures and details of the attachment:
http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/pdf/janomebulletin/jtm-1018.pdf

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

Right now she is working furiously on videos, and has had no time for projects. Every minute of video takes about 1 hour of time to produce, so she's very busy. We're trying to have something ready by month end.

Mitered corners are a bit tricky, but manageable. She does that in the FootBook video for the binder, and the Janome Canada online video shows it as well. That link is in a couple of prior posts, just search for "binder".

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "Julie" <jjems@...> wrote:

It would be wonderful to see some pictures of any projects that Diane has
finished with the binder. Hint, hint.

How difficult is the binder to use if you are turning corners?

I like the way Diane has used the D foot for couching. What a great idea.

Julie

joylaytor

Jim, It looks like the part numbers for the 5/16" and 7/16" are reversed in the pdf file compared to the website. What are the correct part numbers and do you think the 5/16 would approximate a 1/4" binding?

See this page for pictures and details of the attachment:

Jim_Stutsman <jim@...>

The part numbers are as follows:
Quilt Binder Set with 1/2" binder: 846421007
Quilt Binder only for 5/16": 795824014
Quilt Binder only for 7/16": 795842007

--- In janome12000@yahoogroups.com, "joylaytor" <joylaytor@...> wrote:

Jim, It looks like the part numbers for the 5/16" and 7/16" are reversed in the pdf file compared to the website. What are the correct part numbers and do you think the 5/16 would approximate a 1/4" binding?

See this page for pictures and details of the attachment:
http://www.janome.co.jp/e/e_downloads/pdf/janomebulletin/jtm-1018.pdf

---