Topics

Basting box on Janome 500E


Kay Davis
 

Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


HEATHER COWAN
 

Kay.  This is most annoying.  An easy fix is to just hit the needle up down button and pull up the bobbin thread the same was as we often do when quilting.  I found the cause to be that the bobbin thread didn’t play well with the top thread when the first baste stitch formed because it was a longer stitch.  Try it ..... as I said .... and easy fix and a nice clean start.  I do this a lot when embroidering also to keep the back tidy.
Hugs
Heather.....

On Jun 11, 2020, at 13:43, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


Diane
 

I would also suggest you hold onto the thread until the stitching gets started.


Kay Davis
 

Thanks for your answer, Heather. I’ve tried this as you say because it works so well when quilting. But the thread pulled back under and did the same thing. Should I have pulled up a longer length of bobbin thread?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...> wrote:
Kay.  This is most annoying.  An easy fix is to just hit the needle up down button and pull up the bobbin thread the same was as we often do when quilting.  I found the cause to be that the bobbin thread didn’t play well with the top thread when the first baste stitch formed because it was a longer stitch.  Try it ..... as I said .... and easy fix and a nice clean start.  I do this a lot when embroidering also to keep the back tidy.
Hugs
Heather.....

On Jun 11, 2020, at 13:43, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


Kay Davis
 

Thanks for your reply, Diane.  I’ve tried that but it was pulled out of my hand and then tangled underneath.  Perhaps I didn’t pull up a long enough thread?  I’ve done this when quilting and it worked great. But the thread didn’t pull back and tangle in that instance. 

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 8:44 AM Diane <Sewgran7@...> wrote:
I would also suggest you hold onto the thread until the stitching gets started.


Lyn Quine
 

I have similar problems with the 15000, and never had that problem on the 350e and I don’t think I had that problem with the 12000 either.  But the basting has never been 100% on the 15000, sometimes it will work if I do it for a second time without doing anything 8n between.  Other times I’ve tried pulling the thread up with mixed results.


HEATHER COWAN
 

I hang on to the threads just as Diane suggests.  Good luck h

On Jun 12, 2020, at 08:29, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Thanks for your answer, Heather. I’ve tried this as you say because it works so well when quilting. But the thread pulled back under and did the same thing. Should I have pulled up a longer length of bobbin thread?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...> wrote:
Kay.  This is most annoying.  An easy fix is to just hit the needle up down button and pull up the bobbin thread the same was as we often do when quilting.  I found the cause to be that the bobbin thread didn’t play well with the top thread when the first baste stitch formed because it was a longer stitch.  Try it ..... as I said .... and easy fix and a nice clean start.  I do this a lot when embroidering also to keep the back tidy.
Hugs
Heather.....

On Jun 11, 2020, at 13:43, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


Virginia
 

There is a website Called GGdesigns and she has free basting stitches which you can use instead of using the ones in our machines.  I use them instead, because no matter which Janome I have had the basting stitches just do not work.  check out her website for the free ;basting, I think you will like them
Virginia


-----Original Message-----
From: HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jun 12, 2020 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Basting box on Janome 500E

I hang on to the threads just as Diane suggests.  Good luck h

On Jun 12, 2020, at 08:29, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Thanks for your answer, Heather. I’ve tried this as you say because it works so well when quilting. But the thread pulled back under and did the same thing. Should I have pulled up a longer length of bobbin thread?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...> wrote:
Kay.  This is most annoying.  An easy fix is to just hit the needle up down button and pull up the bobbin thread the same was as we often do when quilting.  I found the cause to be that the bobbin thread didn’t play well with the top thread when the first baste stitch formed because it was a longer stitch.  Try it ..... as I said .... and easy fix and a nice clean start.  I do this a lot when embroidering also to keep the back tidy.
Hugs
Heather.....

On Jun 11, 2020, at 13:43, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


Kay Davis
 

Thanks to all of you who answered my request for help.  I've tried them but no joy.  So I downloaded the basting files by GGdesigns.com recommended by Virginia.  I'll let you know if they work out for me.  Kay

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 4:21 PM Virginia via groups.io <Fmjfrazier=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
There is a website Called GGdesigns and she has free basting stitches which you can use instead of using the ones in our machines.  I use them instead, because no matter which Janome I have had the basting stitches just do not work.  check out her website for the free ;basting, I think you will like them
Virginia


-----Original Message-----
From: HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...>
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jun 12, 2020 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Basting box on Janome 500E

I hang on to the threads just as Diane suggests.  Good luck h

On Jun 12, 2020, at 08:29, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Thanks for your answer, Heather. I’ve tried this as you say because it works so well when quilting. But the thread pulled back under and did the same thing. Should I have pulled up a longer length of bobbin thread?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 9:41 PM HEATHER COWAN <heather-c@...> wrote:
Kay.  This is most annoying.  An easy fix is to just hit the needle up down button and pull up the bobbin thread the same was as we often do when quilting.  I found the cause to be that the bobbin thread didn’t play well with the top thread when the first baste stitch formed because it was a longer stitch.  Try it ..... as I said .... and easy fix and a nice clean start.  I do this a lot when embroidering also to keep the back tidy.
Hugs
Heather.....

On Jun 11, 2020, at 13:43, Kay Davis <kaquilt@...> wrote:


Basting boxes fail on my 500E machine. The top thread pulls out almost immediately after the stitching starts. This happens when I use the basting box function on the machine as well as when I add a basting box to the design with my Embrilliance software. They always stitched perfectly on my 300E. What can I do to fix this? TIA, Kay


favymtz
 

In addition to pulling up the bobbin thread you can also tighten the tension (+) just for the time of the basting. That helps a lot.
The basting is designed to be long and loose so that it removes easily, that’s what causes the problem.
I prefer my own basting boxes and digitize them with a 7mm stitch length for almost all of my embroidery projects so that they’re the perfect size. I kept that idea from the first Babylock software I had which added in a Baste file.

For those who don’t digitize, it’s nice that some companies give free basting files but they’re generic sizes, and so not always appropriate for the design.
--
Favymtz


Roberta K
 

Hello Diane,

I have had the basting problem on my 500E as well.
It does not happen all the time, but it has happened when I have used the RE20 hoop, and  the SQ20 Hoop. 

Another thing I noticed is that it was only happening on one side of the hoop, which is the side closest to where the hoop attaches to the machine. That is the side where the basting box starts. So the stitches would not form, starting at the upper right corner, and down to the lower right corner. Then at the lower right corner the thread would catch. 

Very frustrating, to say the least, and I can’t remember what I did to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Roberta K.


Marsha_Comcast
 

Hi Kay,
This has been my only intermittent annoyance with my 15000 and my Skyline S9. I do get better results when I use Madeira Cotona for my bobbin. I got no love when I was using Superior Bottomline. I hope you find something that works for you.


Donna Morton
 

Hi Kay

When the top thread pulls out of your hand and tangles underneath it means your upper thread has come out of the take up lever.  Re-thread top and bottom and try again.

DonnaM
Canada
http//www.snipandstitch.com


Cat - N
 

I haven't had any issues ‎with basting on my 15000 or 11000, but the conversation set me wondering if basting might become an issue if hoop calibration was needed. 

Sorry to see others have issues...hope solutions are found quickly.

- Cat 




zeekabo <Zeekabo@...>
 

Try pullingthe bobbin thread up before sewing the basting box