Associating an Embroidery File Type with Software

Vivian

I purchased a program that enabled me to view my jef files and went merrily along unzipiped  my files and saved them so I could see the pictures. HA! So when I go to open my saved file as a jef I am told there is no software to open it. I have the instructions on How To fix and I still can not get an association with Janome.EXE. I need more help as to what I may need to do to fix my files to open.

Pixey

Hi Vivian,
Out of curiosity which program did you get to view the pictures of the designs?

Also, what Janome embroidery machines do you have and what type of computer ( and operating system).  Many of the machines came with a PC-based software on a CD that lets you  to be open .JEF files and do basic editing to the design.  If not, there are a number of programs out there at different price points for opening and editing a design.  What are you wanting to do with the design when you open it?

I am not sure what you mean by associating a program with Janome.exe.

Pixey

On Aug 21, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Vivian via groups.io <Vivian.cranston@...> wrote:

I purchased a program that enabled me to view my jef files and went merrily along unzipiped  my files and saved them so I could see the pictures. HA! So when I go to open my saved file as a jef I am told there is no software to open it. I have the instructions on How To fix and I still can not get an association with Janome.EXE. I need more help as to what I may need to do to fix my files to open.

TXQuiltingNana

When I first purchased embrillance essentials I Too was having that problem. I was finally able to find out that I had to be in the administrator mode of my computer in order to make the programs work properly. Originally I was in a user mode.  Once that I made that change, I was able to change the view in my settings to show large icons, and there they were.  I hope that will help you.

Thanks,
Dee

On Aug 21, 2021, at 7:37 AM, Vivian via groups.io <Vivian.cranston@...> wrote:

I purchased a program that enabled me to view my jef files and went merrily along unzipiped  my files and saved them so I could see the pictures. HA! So when I go to open my saved file as a jef I am told there is no software to open it. I have the instructions on How To fix and I still can not get an association with Janome.EXE. I need more help as to what I may need to do to fix my files to open.

Vivian

I have a Janome Memory Craft 15000. My computer is a HP Pavilion using Windows 10. I purchased the Perfect Stich Viewer (Embroidery file icon viewer) from
Dime inspiration software. I unzipped several files for viewing. None of my files can now be opened as a jef file. System says files are not associated with a file to open. Janome has a how to page on associating an embroidery file type with software which I followed (this is where I got the janome.ext information) I could not get it to work. I contacted Jim Stutsman and was lucky because he saw my email and responded. This is what he said: Typically it happens when you install a file like Iconizer or some other design utility. In order to display the design as an icon, it takes over the file association for all the design types, including JEF.  He included a link to lifewire.com and I followed the instructions but again could not get results. Jim suggested that I contact the group. I have tried to contact support from Dime, but can not get a connection. I will try FB to get a response. Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Vivian

Pixey

Vivian,
I am glad Jim was able to give you some advice on the conflict issue and I am sorry you are still having problems getting a design to open.  I don’t have any experience with this particular problem.

That said, I would think that if you have installed the HorizonLink software that came with your machine, you should be able to open your designs from within the software by going to the specific filename.  A few more steps than just clicking on the filename and thumbnail, but a possible workaround.

Pixey

On Aug 21, 2021, at 5:16 PM, Vivian via groups.io <Vivian.cranston@...> wrote:

[...]

favymtz

Perfect Sttich Viewer made by DIME is only an iconizer. It wants to associate itself with the DIME software, either Embroidery Tool Shed (the free program) or PEP (the full digitizing program.)
My analysis is that when you installed the viewer it did take over the functionality of your default program to open JEF designs. Try to reestablish a default program.
Find a JEF design, right click on it, Open With, then choose Horizon Link. If Horizon Link isn't in the drop down list, search for it in Program Files x86. Keep opening the folders until you get to the .exe file.
make sure that you also select Always Use.

--
Favymtz

Vivian

Thank you everyone for your help and education.  A Dime programmer contacted me and fixed the problem by linking directly to EmbLinkTool. I really appreciate all the help.