Annual service on 15k

Jo Smoker

I have my Horizon Memory Craft 15000 serviced annually.  This year I was asked if I wanted the embroidery unit serviced also.  Just wondering whether that is a good idea and if others have them serviced.  I have had no problems but I do a lot of embroidery and regular sewing so many hours are utilized.  Appreciate your opinion before spending and extra $50.00  unnecessarily?  Thanks

darlene Reese

I would do it, I had thread wound around the gears of mine and it quit working. Now 8 need a whole new unit. Had I known it could have been serviced, it may have saved me a lot of money.

Debra Mclin

I have my 15000 and the embroidery unit serviced together every year.  Worth the money.

On Dec 30, 2020, at 10:24 AM, Jo Smoker via groups.io <jmsmoker@...> wrote:

I have my Horizon Memory Craft 15000 serviced annually.  This year I was asked if I wanted the embroidery unit serviced also.  Just wondering whether that is a good idea and if others have them serviced.  I have had no problems but I do a lot of embroidery and regular sewing so many hours are utilized.  Appreciate your opinion before spending and extra $50.00  unnecessarily?  Thanks

Cat - N

When I take my 11000 for service, the embroidery unit is not removable so they look at the embroidery function as well as the sewing functions.  So, it never occurred to me not to take the embroidery unit with my 15000...in its protective case, of course.  Although removable on my 15000, the embroidery unit is part of the machine 'as sold standard' and 'spec'd' by the manufacturer, and it seems to me that it should be included in the annual service.

If I took ONLY the embroidery unit...not the rest of the 15000, or if the embroidery unit was an 'option' purchased separately (I have seen at least one model from a different manufacurer where the embroidery unit was an optional accessory), I could easily understand making a separate service appointment and/or separate charge.

To be honest, I don't know if my dealer charges separately for the machine and the embroidery unit, but I understand the additional monetary issue, too, since your dealer charges additionally to service the embroidery unit. 

If your embroidery unit is working fine, but the service cost is inconvenient for you at this time, it would certainly be your option to have it serviced now or wait for a more convenient time for you and your budget.

- Cat

Virginia

I have never paid extra for service on any embroidery unit. That is a part of the machine and not an extra unit on Janome. I would get a second opinion.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/30/20 6:32 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Annual service on 15k

When I take my 11000 for service, the embroidery unit is not removable so they look at the embroidery function as well as the sewing functions.  So, it never occurred to me not to take the embroidery unit with my 15000...in its protective case, of course.  Although removable on my 15000, the embroidery unit is part of the machine 'as sold standard' and 'spec'd' by the manufacturer, and it seems to me that it should be included in the annual service.

If I took ONLY the embroidery unit...not the rest of the 15000, or if the embroidery unit was an 'option' purchased separately (I have seen at least one model from a different manufacurer where the embroidery unit was an optional accessory), I could easily understand making a separate service appointment and/or separate charge.

To be honest, I don't know if my dealer charges separately for the machine and the embroidery unit, but I understand the additional monetary issue, too, since your dealer charges additionally to service the embroidery unit. 

If your embroidery unit is working fine, but the service cost is inconvenient for you at this time, it would certainly be your option to have it serviced now or wait for a more convenient time for you and your budget.

- Cat

favymtz

Virginia you say "I have never paid extra for service on any embroidery unit." and likely that's true for others who have sewing/embroidery machines.
This is an issue that is dependent upon how the individual Janome dealerships do their service on sewing & embroidery machines.
Some will charge extra for the unit, others include the unit as part of the basic fee. 
At our local shop the service for a sewing/embroidery machine is more than a "sewing only" machine due to the fact that it takes more time to service.
It's always recommended that the unit be serviced along with the machine, it has moving parts and it needs to be cleaned just like the machine does.
-- Favymtz

Pixey

My dealer has different rates set for different types of machines.  It is less expensive to get the periodic cleaning/tune-up service on a plain sewing machine than it is for a combo machine that includes an embroidery unit. So in that sense it is “extra” for the embroidery unit.  But less expensive than the charge to do two separate machines.  But they have said it is important to get all functions of the machine looked at together and I agree and have always brought in my embroidery units when I bring in the associated  machines.

Pixey