Topics

Announcing ThreadBook

Jim Stutsman

After a year in development, we are thrilled to announce our latest app called ThreadBook. Repeating the description from the App Store:

ThreadBook is the ideal tool for managing the threads you use for sewing or embroidery. It contains a library of more than 25,000 threads from over 120 different manufacturers, available with a touch of your finger. Using ThreadBook you can:

* Set your favorite brands to narrow matching choices

* Track the threads you have in the “My Threads” collection

* Track the threads you need in the “Shopping List” collection

* Find threads with a particular thread number, including partial numbers

* Find threads that match your chosen color

* Find threads that match any color using the camera on your device or a previously made photo

* Instantly create a chart to convert any brand and type of thread to a matching color in any other brand and type

* Convert a list of thread colors, such as that often provided with embroidery designs, to any brand and type

* Submit your own list of threads that are not in our library so they can be added

Additional features include:

* Detailed explanation of each menu item with a single tap of a button

* Automatic updating of the library as new threads are added

* Your “My Threads” and “Shopping List” collections are synchronized between all your devices

We submitted the app for review before the videos were ready, anticipating that it would take a long time to be processed with the impending release of iOS 13 so near. Surprise! It was approved in only 2 days. The videos are coming together, and will be integrated into the Q & A section of the app automatically once they are uploaded. This should happen by the end of the week.

I want to publicly thank the members of our beta test team who provided an enormous amount of help and direction. We so appreciate their suggestions and generosity in helping us. In alphabetical order:

Bernice, Ceil, Jeanna, Karen, Leta, Lyn, Marsha, Mary Jo, Matthias, Pam, Pat, Patti, and Sandy. Thank you all so much!

Barbara Wolcott

Thanks Jim and all members of the beta team.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 5:49 PM Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Cheryl Watson

Yeah!

On Sep 17, 2019, at 5:49 PM, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

[...]

Shirley Allen

WOW!!!  You are the greatest!!  Shirley

[...]

Ma. Emilia Palacios Macedo

Jim, are Marathon threads included?

El martes, 17 de septiembre de 2019 06:45:33 p. m. CDT, Cheryl Watson <cdivawatson@...> escribió:

[...]

Yes. More importantly, we have built in the ability to update the thread library automatically. If you have threads that are not included we have a tool that will allow you to add them and submit to us for addition to the library.

Ma. Emilia Palacios Macedo

It is really great!

El martes, 17 de septiembre de 2019 07:19:33 p. m. CDT, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing@...> escribió:

Yes. More importantly, we have built in the ability to update the thread library automatically. If you have threads that are not included we have a tool that will allow you to add them and submit to us for addition to the library.

Ann Holland

Thank you thank you

On Sep 17, 2019, at 4:47 PM, Shirley Allen <sowhat1935@...> wrote:

[...]

Pixey

This sounds really neat and I am definitely going to get it.  However, I do have a question.  I am probably going to upgrade to a  new iPad right before I retire next year.  If I do all the setups of my threads, will it carry it over to the new iPad? Or will I have do some type of data transfer function?

Thanks,
Pixey

[...]

Wayne and Karen

Congratulations to you both.  I am looking forward to this app - all the best with the release!

Karen

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:49 am, Jim Stutsman via Groups.Io <onlinesewing=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Janet Gronski

Is Hemingworth thread included?

On Sep 17, 2019, at 6:47 PM, Ann Holland <maholland42@...> wrote:

[...]

JILL BAILEY

Jim another amazing app , bought today
can I ask how I see the added thread I took pic of

JILL BAILEY

Jim I went to the library corrections fab then the enter missing thread bit , then pressed the my thread not there . I entered s photo of the thread top and name etc etc .. where does it then go ? I can’t see it
over here we have Rhingold and Jurgen thread in 5000m vines

lidiamartinez001@...

I have already purchased mine and can tell it will be invaluable to my thread needs.  I’m excited to begin listing the threads I currently own and those that I need for future projects.  Why didn’t I think of this?   😀.

Jim Stutsman

That won't be a problem Pixey. All of your thread data is saved when you back up your iPhone or iPad, and will be there when you restore the backup to a new iPad. We use a feature of iCloud that makes the data available to every device that uses the same iCloud account.

Debbie

Thank you Jim. Another amazing app. Might I suggest the ability to identify how many of each you have. Eg I have 4 spoils of RA2025. It would be handy to know that for larger embroidery projects

Jim Stutsman

Yes it is. We included every thread we could find, but I'm sure there will be many that we missed. As we learn about those we'll be adding them, and we have built in a function for adding threads that are not even sold any more. Just one cautionary note - the thread library is updated automatically IF you are logged into iCloud. (This is done in the Settings app.) If you don't want to use iCloud you can still get updates, but without iCloud the app will not receive notifications. If you terminate the app and then re-launch it, the first thing it does is check for updates, so you can update that way.

Jim Stutsman

Thanks so much Jill. We are preparing videos that show step by step how to add missing threads. I did get your photo via FB Messenger, but it is not really suitable for adding due to the wrappers on some of the threads. Diane will be recording the voiceovers for the videos this morning and I will get them online as quickly as possible. There are 15 in all. In the meantime I will search for the brands you mentioned and if I can find charts with numbers and pictures I can add them.

Jim Stutsman

Thanks so much Debbie. I thought long and hard about keeping counts, and decided against it. Here's why:

  • None of the machines have the ability to keep track of how much thread is being used while you sew, so there is no way for an app to know how much thread remains on a spool (reel for those who speak proper English!). A spool with 8 yards of thread counts as a quantity of 1, as does a spool with 1,000 yards.
  • Because of the above you will probably physically inspect your threads before starting a project, just to make sure that you have enough full spools.
  • The "My Threads" and "Shopping List" collections are stored in a particular area of iCloud. It makes them available to all your devices, but does not require you to know anything about iCloud at all. It also does not use any of the limited iCloud space you get for free. The downside is that the amount of storage is very limited. Adding a count to for each thread roughly halves the maximum number that can be kept. Leaving out the counts allows us to track a minimum of 10,000 threads.
  • There is also a matter of convenience in entering threads. Our goal was to make it possible to add a thread to a collection with a single tap. If you have to also enter a count that means tapping the thread, opening the keyboard on the screen, entering the number, and tapping a "Done" key. This will take a minimum of 3 times longer and also will require you to continuously update the quantity every time you use up a color. If you don't update, you may think you have thread that you actually don't have.
Because of the above, the "My Threads" collection reflects those threads that you had at the time you entered them. Before starting a project you will want to verify each one anyway, just in case you have a nearly empty spool of a particular color.

With all that said, a year was spent developing this app, and we will continue to improve it as much as possible. This is version 1. There will be updates, and they will be free.

JILL BAILEY

Jim , thanks for the reply I think ( well on google ) Rheingold is made by Madeira