Alternate way to thread/wind a Janome bobbin?

Kathy Strabel

I recently saw a video of a woman showing an alternate way to wind a Janome bobbin that always comes out even. I must say that even though I could embroider the Mona Lisa on my Janome e500,and I make my own swimwear on my S7, the bobbin-winding feature leaves a lot to be desired. But, of course, I cannot recall where I actually saw this video.  Does anyone know of this alternate bobbin-winding technique?  I remember that it uses the cutting blade on the  lower portion of the post that you place the bobbin on for winding. Any help appreciated
Kathy Strabel.

Jim Stutsman

Edited

That woman may have been the one I've been married to for over half a century: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XaXmeFG0Y0

Kathy Strabel

Jim----You are correct!!  That is the video I was thinking about. I have marked it as a Favorite so I can always have it handy. Thanks  a million!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Helen Moslander

Well I hate to ask this, but how do you mark it as a favorite? Sorry to bother you with this, but I am new to Janome and this is a whole new way to wind my bobbin! I don’t want to lose this video. Thank you in advance if you can help.

On May 3, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Jim----You are correct!!  That is the video I was thinking about. I have marked it as a Favorite so I can always have it handy. Thanks  a million!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Jim Stutsman

On the YouTube site you can subscribe to the videos on that page, which will let you know if/when we publish new ones. There are probably ways to mark as favorite, but I'm not very astute on YouTube, due to the large noise to value ratio. You can also just bookmark the page in your browser.

Kathy Skagen

Helen,
When you are logged into YouTube with the video you want up, you can choose 'save' on the right hand side right under the video. It will open a folder for you. At that point you can create a new folder--for example I have a Janome 15000 folder, and a JD ESA fonts folder. When you create the folder it will save that video to it. After that when you click on 'save' you can choose which folder you want to save a video to. Then you can access them by going to your YouTube account. Your folders will be listed on the left side of the screen.
Alternately, if you are more comfortable with bookmarking a site, you can bookmark a video. Just pause the video and click the bookmark icon as always.
Hope that helps.
Kathy

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 11:23:06 AM CDT, Helen Moslander <hmoslander16@...> wrote:

Well I hate to ask this, but how do you mark it as a favorite? Sorry to bother you with this, but I am new to Janome and this is a whole new way to wind my bobbin! I don’t want to lose this video. Thank you in advance if you can help.

On May 3, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Jim----You are correct!!  That is the video I was thinking about. I have marked it as a Favorite so I can always have it handy. Thanks  a million!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

DEBORBEE@...

If you "like" a video Youtube keeps a list of them (forever) under Menu...usually left upper corner of webpage, next to their logo.
New to embroidery machines but lifetime web-user!

Joyce Daniel

Wondering too…….Diane placed the bobbin on the winder, with the thread tail down….any reason for this?

Also, she cris-crossed when threading the take up leaver. Left to right.

I have never done either of these techniques, but will try it on all 5 Janomes…… is this new to anyone else and if so, does it work/help/etc?

Joyce

Helene B

I think Janome contract out to a company to make the prewond bobbins and then puts their name on them for a higher price. If you can find out who has the contract they are probably available at a more reasonable price

On May 4, 2021, at 1:18 PM, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much everyone, so simple yet I make it difficult. Story of my life!

[...]

To mark as a Favorite, look at the title bar at at the top of the page while you are on the desired page. In the line where the URL is , there should be a small star at the right. Click on that star, which makes the page a favorite. The URL is the "address" of the page. You can give the page another name or leave it as is after you click on the star.  To go to the page later, click on "bookmarks" or Favorites at the top left of what ever page you are on. A list of your favorites will drop down. Click on the page from the list and it will open on your screen. This is for Windows operating systems. I have no idea about Apple or other systems.  Favorites and bookmarks are the same, I believe. Interchangeable terms I think. Hope this helps. Kathy

On Tue, May 4, 2021, 9:23 AM Helen Moslander <Hmoslander16@...> wrote:
Well I hate to ask this, but how do you mark it as a favorite? Sorry to bother you with this, but I am new to Janome and this is a whole new way to wind my bobbin! I don’t want to lose this video. Thank you in advance if you can help.

On May 3, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Jim----You are correct!!  That is the video I was thinking about. I have marked it as a Favorite so I can always have it handy. Thanks  a million!!
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Tracy

Joyce-

I forgot with my other reply to respond to another of your questions about how Diane's video shows threading the take-up lever by threading from left to right and crossing your thread over as you come back down to the needle.....

Several FB groups I'm on have mentioned folks having issues with thread jumping out the back of the take-up lever which causes instant tension issues.  There is a little spring on the back of the take-up lever and if it's out of alignment- the thread can slide out the back when the take-up lever is moving up and down.  If you don't have time to take your machine to get the spring adjusted... you can thread your take-up lever from left to right, like shown in the video, and it will keep the thread from slipping out the back.  People that have troubles and try this trick have been well pleased/reporting how this works so well for them.  It definitely buys you time so you can wait to take the machine for a spa day and while the tech has it they can adjust that little spring so it won't let the thread slip past it.  If you are holding your thread in both hands as you are threading the upper thread, with one hand close to the spool and the other pulling the thread and putting it into the thread path/guides... you can pop the thread into the back of the take-up lever and that might also help make sure your thread is secured in the lever.  May save you thinking a few unhappy thoughts until you can get your machine looked at.

Tracy in Nashville, TN

Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Cat - N

You can also download the YouTube Downloader and download the video:

https://youtubedownloader.com/

- Cat

Cat - N

It's not new to me.  I have wound bobbins like that on machines for many years. I also thread the takeup lever on the 15000 backwards like that.  Otherwise, the thread tends to jump out of the takeup lever.  It's a pretty easy workaround.

- Cat

Wondering too…….Diane placed the bobbin on the winder, with the thread tail down….any reason for this?

Also, she cris-crossed when threading the take up leaver. Left to right.

I have never done either of these techniques, but will try it on all 5 Janomes…… is this new to anyone else and if so, does it work/help/etc?
Joyce

Ceil J

I'm still not sure about the winding speed.  I've had Janomes since the mid 80's and have always been told to wind at the highest speed as that supposedly makes for a better bobbin.  Lately I have had a few issues and have also been reading that some say to never wind at high speed.  Which speed is best?

a67skc70

I make a folder on my email site, and just save the whole email. Then I can find it when I want to see it again.
Linda

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 11:25:26 AM CDT, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

On the YouTube site you can subscribe to the videos on that page, which will let you know if/when we publish new ones. There are probably ways to mark as favorite, but I'm not very astute on YouTube, due to the large noise to value ratio. You can also just bookmark the page in your browser.

Linda Thompson

In the part of the video you said to tap on the needle up/down button two times, then to lock the machine.  I’m clueless on locking the machine when threading.  How do I do that?

Claire Schutz

Not sure if all models have the "lock" symbol across the bottom of the screen. Check with your manual. You must tap that which lowers the foot and opens the tension disks. Claire S.

On 5/9/2021 9:15 AM, Linda Thompson wrote:
In the part of the video you said to tap on the needle up/down button two times, then to lock the machine.  I’m clueless on locking the machine when threading.  How do I do that?

Pixey

Hi Linda,

You don’t indicate which machine model you are using.  If it is one of the newer machines, the Lockout button shows on the screen as a Key.  On some machines with digital display it is one of the options across the bottom (to the far right) or on the right hand side (at the bottom).  For older machines, there is not a separate lockout button or function and raising the presser foot would often release the tension discs.

Pixey

On May 9, 2021, at 1:48 PM, Linda Thompson <lynnlind81@...> wrote:

In the part of the video you said to tap on the needle up/down button two times, then to lock the machine.  I’m clueless on locking the machine when threading.  How do I do that?

Sally on the WE(s)T Side

Oh, wow, this video may help me like the bobbin winder on the Janome 9400.  I still wind all of my bobbins on the 6600P because I like that bobbin winder better.

Thanks, Jim!

Sally