Topics

Adding Metadata to Embroidery Files to Aid in Search

Marsha_Comcast

This question is most likely directed at Jim.

I'm still fairly new to machine embroidery and like everyone, I've begun collecting design files. Many companies have a naming convention of letters and numbers that are helpful for them but not so much for the end user.

Currently I have them organized by company and have added some descriptors to the name of the file. But I was wondering if it's possible to add metadata to a purchased embroidery file?
Since I'm on a Mac, I can "get info" about a file and there is a "Comment" section, would entering keywords in that section be included in a Spotlight Search?

I'm sure I could always plug it all into an Excel file and use filters to sort but I'm trying to avoid that work.

If you have a better suggestion for making files more searchable, I'd love to hear.

Thank you,
Marsha

Jim Stutsman

I get where you're coming from. You can search on the comment field as a metadata item, but you have to activate it as a search option. Open Finder and enter something in the search box at the top of the window. Then click the "+" option below that. If your computer is configured with the usual defaults that will present "Name" "matches" and a blank input box. Click the "Name" drop down. Scroll down to "Other" at the bottom of the list. This will present all the various metadata items you can match on. Check the box for the Comment attribute and you're set. If you have StitchBuddy you'll also see attributes related to embroidery size, colors, and stitch count. Check those while you're there. If you don't have StitchBuddy and you have a Mac, for goodness sake get it!

Now you have the task of entering the required data in all of your files. That's a job for Automator. It has an action labeled "Set Spotlight Comments for Finder Items" that you can use in a workflow.

Suzanne Martin

I use Embird to see the designs when searching.

I do order many designs from Embroidery Library which has a great option to scroll or search your ordered designs.

I also have a set of folders named by category, food, baby, kitchen, etc...

Thank you!
Suzanne Martin, GRI
Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg LLC