From: Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...>
Date: 3/5/18 9:22 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: [onlinesewing-janome] AcuFil question

I have the 12000 and AcuFil.  I launched AcuFil and found a built in quilt design (heart), put in the size I wanted the design to finish and it opened in Horizon Link.  Good so far.  I copy/pasted the heart 2 times so the design looked like a shamrock that I wanted to embroider in the border of a quilt.  I direct linked the computer to the 12000 and it opened it.  However, it showed the hoop size of the ASQ22 (9.1 x 9.1), way bigger than was needed.  Back to the computer I edited the hoop to the SQ14.  When I directed linked the new design, it still came up as the ASQ22.  How can I change the hoop size for a design that is smaller than required in the larger hoop.  Do all AcuFil design default to ASQ22??  After a number of hours I gave up.  Very frustrating.  I do love the 12000 but find it very difficult to get help with issues like this.   Thanks for any help.

favymtz

You probably need to open the Edit mode on the machine and change the hoop size there.

~f

Mary E

I’ve used the AcuFil several times and I believe 5he reason it specifies the ASQ22 hoop is that the grid you are supposed to use fits that hoop. You print out your design and tape it to the grid and it helps you line up the design when you use it continuously. Took a bit of getting used to but I was very pleased by the result.
Mary

On Monday, March 5, 2018, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
[...]

Carole O'Mara

I chose another included design (#7 on the 12000), a border design for the same wall hanging. I didn’t do a combined design as I did on the first one. After inputting the measurements, 16.5 x 4, the design showed on the computer, with a white background, no grid. I changed the hoop size to the SQ14. I Sent to the machine (direct connect), and machine received the design with the ASQ22 hoop. There is no Edit screen. It comes up as Ready to Sew. I’m thinking that since it’s an embroidery design for a quilt the ASQ22 is the default. I know it’s easier to use the ASQ22 with the magnets rather than SQ14 with the screw to tighten, it does mean making the quilt border much wider to accommodate the larger hoop and then trimming off the excess. Thanks.

Carole - Colorado Springs

Diane Stutsman

Ok, this is my workaround. Hoop the fabric with the smaller hoop. Use the trace to make sure it fits then stitch. The machine doesn’t know what hoop you have on the machine.

On Mar 6, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

I chose another included design (#7 on the 12000), a border design for the same wall hanging. I didn’t do a combined design as I did on the first one. After inputting the measurements, 16.5 x 4, the design showed on the computer, with a white background, no grid. I changed the hoop size to the SQ14. I Sent to the machine (direct connect), and machine received the design with the ASQ22 hoop. There is no Edit screen. It comes up as Ready to Sew. I’m thinking that since it’s an embroidery design for a quilt the ASQ22 is the default. I know it’s easier to use the ASQ22 with the magnets rather than SQ14 with the screw to tighten, it does mean making the quilt border much wider to accommodate the larger hoop and then trimming off the excess. Thanks.

Carole - Colorado Springs

Virginia

I believe this works just like it did ehen we had the 11,000. The acufil program allows us to print a template from our computer however ypu need to rehoop using the yemplayes. It tells ypu how many hoopings using the acufil hoop. The program came with the hoop amd it was an adfitional purchase. However all 3 machines including the 11000, 12000 and 15 all sllow us to select a different hoop once we say ok to the original design. Not sure ehy ypu cannot?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

Ok, this is my workaround. Hoop the fabric with the smaller hoop. Use the trace to make sure it fits then stitch. The machine doesn’t know what hoop you have on the machine.
> On Mar 6, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:
>
> I chose another included design (#7 on the 12000), a border design for the same wall hanging.  I didn’t do a combined design as I did on the first one.  After inputting the measurements, 16.5 x 4,  the design showed on the computer, with a white background, no grid.  I changed the hoop size to the SQ14.  I Sent to the machine (direct connect), and machine received the design with the ASQ22 hoop.  There is no Edit screen.  It comes up as Ready to Sew.  I’m thinking that since it’s an embroidery design for a quilt the ASQ22 is the default.  I know it’s easier to use the ASQ22 with the magnets rather than SQ14 with the screw to tighten, it does mean making the quilt border much wider to accommodate the larger hoop and then trimming off the excess. Thanks.
>
> Carole - Colorado Springs

valora hammond

Since it is a simple run line if I can hold it on 3 sides I am good to go. If I know I am going to quilt with the acufil method I try to make my backing and batting at least 4” larger so it has something to hold.
I have actually done strip only being held in the top and bottom.

On Mar 6, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Carole O'Mara <caroleinco@...> wrote:

I chose another included design (#7 on the 12000), a border design for the same wall hanging. I didn’t do a combined design as I did on the first one. After inputting the measurements, 16.5 x 4, the design showed on the computer, with a white background, no grid. I changed the hoop size to the SQ14. I Sent to the machine (direct connect), and machine received the design with the ASQ22 hoop. There is no Edit screen. It comes up as Ready to Sew. I’m thinking that since it’s an embroidery design for a quilt the ASQ22 is the default. I know it’s easier to use the ASQ22 with the magnets rather than SQ14 with the screw to tighten, it does mean making the quilt border much wider to accommodate the larger hoop and then trimming off the excess. Thanks.

Carole - Colorado Springs

Carole O'Mara

I took Diane’s advice and hooped in the smaller hoop, did a practice run and Voila, it worked!  Who knew the machine would not know which size hoop is on.  Next time I will make my border wider so I have some extra room.  Thank you all so much for taking time to answer.  You are a great group!
Carole  -  Colorado Springs

favymtz

You can always open a design in the Edit Screen. For example, after you've sent the design to the machine and it tells you that it's the ASQ hoop but you want the SQ14 hoop. Open the Home Screen and then the Edit Mode (the little grid design). Once you are there you can choose whichever Hoop you want to use, as long as the design fits the hoop. You can always use Diane's tip to trick the machine into allowing a smaller hoop as well. I do that a lot when my design is just a smidge too big for a smaller hoop.

Diane Stutsman

Acufil designs cannot be opened in the edit screen of the machine unless there is a new update I am not aware of. I wish it would. There are so many times this would be invaluable.

On Mar 8, 2018, at 8:12 AM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

You can always open a design in the Edit Screen. For example, after you've sent the design to the machine and it tells you that it's the ASQ hoop but you want the SQ14 hoop. Open the Home Screen and then the Edit Mode (the little grid design). Once you are there you can choose whichever Hoop you want to use, as long as the design fits the hoop. You can always use Diane's tip to trick the machine into allowing a smaller hoop as well. I do that a lot when my design is just a smidge too big for a smaller hoop.

favymtz

Wow, thank you for pointing that out! I knew that the Acufil file couldn't be opened in MBX but didn't realize that the machine couldn't open them in Edit Mode either. I think that Janome ought to fix that issue, both in the machine as well as in MBX. I suppose they think that using the "adjust last pattern size" is adequate to tinker with Acufil .afl designs.

Valora Hammond

I like it that the program has already done all the math for me when I enter the measurements of my quilt. I have not found a reason to tweak it more in the edit screen of the machine. Would just mess up the math and I am not that good at math to figure it out.
If I want to to edit I do it in horizon link suites and then import into acufil, and then let the program do the math.
And I have tried to hoop a quilt sandwich in the other hoops and it isn't easy plus I get distortion when trying to put in the inner hoop.