Topics

AcuEdit question


Pixey
 

I was just watching the AcuEdit video in the My15000 App and have a question. If I put my embroidery designs library up on iCloud, do I have to download the designs to the individual iPad’s Document folder for AcuEdit to access them. Or can AcuEdit access the design from the iCloud files app directly? Or send from the files app to AcuEdit?

Am looking for a shortcut to starting up my laptop every time I want to look at a design in my collection or send a quick project to the machine.

If I do have to download it to the individual iPad, how do I manage the Documents folder, because I don’t see that folder on my iPad when I use the Files app.

Thanks,
Pixey


Jim Stutsman
 

The AcuEdit app was created in the early years of iOS, almost as a software dongle for the machine. Its iPad storage is limited to the document "sandbox" within the app, so called because it cannot be accessed by any other app. That includes the Files app. To accomplish what you want, you would first make a folder, or better a hierarchy of folders, for your designs in iCloud. Copy your designs to iCloud. Then to use one in AcuEdit, first find it in the Files App, then select it. From there you tap the "Share" button in the top right corner of the screen and choose the option "Copy to AcuEdit" from the list of icons. The catch here is that you will not be able to see the design at all, only the file name. A far better option is to use the StitchBuddy HD app. It provides an easy way to manage your designs in iCloud drive, as well as a lot of editing options. To get a design in AcuEdit, just tap it, then tap the "Share" button (Box with arrow coming out of it) and choose "Open in" to open it in AcuEdit. This has the advantage of letting you see your designs, as well as not tying up storage on your iPad by storing them locally. You do need to set the option to use iCloud drive in StitchBuddy settings, but that's just a couple of taps. An added bonus with StitchBuddy is that you can store designs in formats other than JEF and still open them for use in AcuEdit. There is a free trial for designs up to 1,000 stitches, and a modestly priced option to unlock the full potential. I'm not affiliated, other than as a fellow app developer, but I recommend the product.


Pixey
 

Thanks Jim.  I had a feeling this was the case.  I am looking at StitchBuddy, but it doesn’t send directly to my 15000 or S9, so I still have the extra step of then transferring to a USB.  In which case, I may as well boot up my laptop.

Pixey


On Aug 27, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

The AcuEdit app was created in the early years of iOS, almost as a software dongle for the machine. Its iPad storage is limited to the document "sandbox" within the app, so called because it cannot be accessed by any other app. That includes the Files app. To accomplish what you want, you would first make a folder, or better a hierarchy of folders, for your designs in iCloud. Copy your designs to iCloud. Then to use one in AcuEdit, first find it in the Files App, then select it. From there you tap the "Share" button in the top right corner of the screen and choose the option "Copy to AcuEdit" from the list of icons. The catch here is that you will not be able to see the design at all, only the file name. A far better option is to use the StitchBuddy HD app. It provides an easy way to manage your designs in iCloud drive, as well as a lot of editing options. To get a design in AcuEdit, just tap it, then tap the "Share" button (Box with arrow coming out of it) and choose "Open in" to open it in AcuEdit. This has the advantage of letting you see your designs, as well as not tying up storage on your iPad by storing them locally. You do need to set the option to use iCloud drive in StitchBuddy settings, but that's just a couple of taps. An added bonus with StitchBuddy is that you can store designs in formats other than JEF and still open them for use in AcuEdit. There is a free trial for designs up to 1,000 stitches, and a modestly priced option to unlock the full potential. I'm not affiliated, other than as a fellow app developer, but I recommend the product.


Mattes
 

Thanks for mentioning, Jim, I'm flattered (transparency notice: I'm the developer of StitchBuddy). Maybe a recommendation for transferring designs into StitchBuddy: Once you've activated iCloud synching, a dedicated StitchBuddy folder will be created and every file / folder placed inside  will be synched to the cloud and all devices. So you can use Apple's Files app to copy multiple designs / folders. And with previews of embroideries in Files, designs can be managed and opened from there. Apple calls this feature "Open in place". - Yes, transferring designs to an embroidery machine still requires a USB stick if your machine doesn't feature a direct USB connection to computers (does any Janome?)...

Stay well and healthy, Mattes


Pixey
 

Thanks Mattes.  I know you are on the group, and StitchBuddy has gotten referenced positively in the past.  I definitely have some things to consider.  I may look at exploring the lightning to USB options referenced in the AcuDesign importing video.

There have just been so many times, I decide midway through a project that I want a different design that I did not grab on the USB and had already shut down my laptop.  I did recently copy all my color charts and project instruction PDFs to iCloud to have them at hand by the machine and that is working out great.

Pixey


On Aug 28, 2020, at 7:04 AM, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Thanks for mentioning, Jim, I'm flattered (transparency notice: I'm the developer of StitchBuddy). Maybe a recommendation for transferring designs into StitchBuddy: Once you've activated iCloud synching, a dedicated StitchBuddy folder will be created and every file / folder placed inside  will be synched to the cloud and all devices. So you can use Apple's Files app to copy multiple designs / folders. And with previews of embroideries in Files, designs can be managed and opened from there. Apple calls this feature "Open in place". - Yes, transferring designs to an embroidery machine still requires a USB stick if your machine doesn't feature a direct USB connection to computers (does any Janome?)...

Stay well and healthy, Mattes


Mattes
 

Because it's often overlooked: You can use the free version of StitchBuddy HD, and just benifit from the thumbnails shown for embroidery designs in  Files ... while still using other apps, including the "Copy to AcuEdit" process Jim mentioned before.

Mattes


Pixey
 

Thanks Mattes.  I appreciate your generosity in pointing that out.  If I go that route though, I will go ahead and purchase the full version and unlock all the features. 

I was doing some research on the Apple site and may try to get the lightening to camera adapter and test whether it will work for transferring files from iCloud using the iPad to a basic small USB stick.  If that works, it opens up the option of using my iPad as an on- the-fly embroidery file manager a lot more.

Pixey


On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Mattes <info@...> wrote:

Because it's often overlooked: You can use the free version of StitchBuddy HD, and just benifit from the thumbnails shown for embroidery designs in  Files ... while still using other apps, including the "Copy to AcuEdit" process Jim mentioned before.

Mattes


Jim Stutsman
 

The Lightning-to-Camera adapter doesn't really allow you to use a connected USB stick. You need a USB stick with dual connectors, which are about the same price or less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085ZZXGPF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_rLMsFb2NXYM52

I have this one, though I don't much like it. The weird bend makes it difficult to connect.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIEBU22/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1LMsFbHJBSAWW

I also have one similar to this. You slide the connector you need out, which retracts the one you're not using. The downside is when you plug it in there is not enough "catch" to keep the connector from sliding back in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F792KCB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_wOMsFbM7XP9QC


Pixey
 

Thanks For the info Jim!


On Aug 29, 2020, at 9:47 AM, Jim Stutsman via groups.io <onlinesewing@...> wrote:

The Lightning-to-Camera adapter doesn't really allow you to use a connected USB stick. You need a USB stick with dual connectors, which are about the same price or less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085ZZXGPF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_rLMsFb2NXYM52

I have this one, though I don't much like it. The weird bend makes it difficult to connect.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIEBU22/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1LMsFbHJBSAWW

I also have one similar to this. You slide the connector you need out, which retracts the one you're not using. The downside is when you plug it in there is not enough "catch" to keep the connector from sliding back in.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F792KCB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_wOMsFbM7XP9QC