Bobbins

Meryl Margolies

There's been a huge discussion on one of the embroidery sites about the pros and cons of pre-wound bobbins. I must say that I've been using pre-wounds for embroidery forever, but not for regular sewing/quilting.
I have a Janome MC12000 and have been using type A bobbins. Am I using the wrong ones?
I've been pretty lucky with the pre-wounds I've purchased, but really want to take care of my machine, so I would not hesitate to upgrade my choices - as long as I can buy in bulk.
Suggestions?
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Ann Jones

Hello Meryl
   Personal experiences and preferences would dictate responses to such a discussion. I seem to get impression that some are suggesting prewounds damage a machine?  This is simply not so and all major thread companies make pre wounds. Litigation in the USA would be huge and no company would face that. While Bernina ⅞ series  uses its own specific related bobbin,   Janome does not.  

I use  pre- wound bobbins on all my machines- 500E, 9400-  and the bigger M bobbins on my HQ Sweet 16.-  If need a colour match and not in a prewound will then wind my own. 
The DSM bobbins are both card and plastic (Superior) and also Wonderfil's Deco Bob. I  get the Class 15 size  that is recommended for the Janome. . 
To date have never had an issue. If I get unhappy with the cardboard when it gets low do tend to swap out. 
In regard to bobbin thread itself the thin thread works exceptionally well  on my machines except when embroidering with Superior's glitter thread which requires a cotton  such as 40w to make the stitch.

This is my experience

Ann

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail. Get the app

On Friday, 26 January 2018, 1:31, Meryl Margolies <machinequilter1@...> wrote:

There's been a huge discussion on one of the embroidery sites about the pros and cons of pre-wound bobbins. I must say that I've been using pre-wounds for embroidery forever, but not for regular sewing/quilting.
I have a Janome MC12000 and have been using type A bobbins. Am I using the wrong ones?
I've been pretty lucky with the pre-wounds I've purchased, but really want to take care of my machine, so I would not hesitate to upgrade my choices - as long as I can buy in bulk.
Suggestions?
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Janet

Unless I need the bobbin thread to match top thread I used prewound bobbins.  I have had no problems.  If fact it makes my sewing life more pleasurable since I can just pop one out the box.    I get them from below.  Usually they have big boxes of Janome but all I see is the small ones today.  I usually get them around Christmas because the had great sales during that time.     I get enough to last a year.  

On Jan 25, 2018, at 5:06 PM, Ann Jones via Groups.Io <anahita2868@...> wrote:

Hello Meryl
   Personal experiences and preferences would dictate responses to such a discussion. I seem to get impression that some are suggesting prewounds damage a machine?  This is simply not so and all major thread companies make pre wounds. Litigation in the USA would be huge and no company would face that. While Bernina ⅞ series  uses its own specific related bobbin,   Janome does not.  

I use  pre- wound bobbins on all my machines- 500E, 9400-  and the bigger M bobbins on my HQ Sweet 16.-  If need a colour match and not in a prewound will then wind my own. 
The DSM bobbins are both card and plastic (Superior) and also Wonderfil's Deco Bob. I  get the Class 15 size  that is recommended for the Janome. . 
To date have never had an issue. If I get unhappy with the cardboard when it gets low do tend to swap out. 
In regard to bobbin thread itself the thin thread works exceptionally well  on my machines except when embroidering with Superior's glitter thread which requires a cotton  such as 40w to make the stitch.

This is my experience

Ann

On Friday, 26 January 2018, 1:31, Meryl Margolies <machinequilter1@...> wrote:

Suggestions?
--
Thank you,
Meryl

Fern Knoll <fmk@...>

Where do you purchase pre wound bobbins with colored thread for Janome 12000?

Fern Knoll <fmk@...>

Where do you get pre wounds with colored thread for Janome 12000?

Vikki Youngmeyer

https://www.habanddash.com/displays/bobbin-packs.html.  That’s one of many sites.

I just typed in pre-wound bobbins colored thread and a lot of links popped up! 

The Janome machines class 15 bobbins (except for the Janome 1600 – which does not have the horizontal bobbin case. The manual (for the 15000) does not recommend using paper bobbins.

Vikki

Houston, TX

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io [mailto:onlinesewing-janome@groups.io] On Behalf Of Fern Knoll
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 12:12 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] Bobbins

Ann Jones

Good Morning Fern
 Wonderfil makes a set of 40  multi coloured thread bobbins both Class A and Class 15 (the latter is suggested for the Janome machines)- available online, in my local quilt shops and at quilting fairs. Sets of one colour only are also available. Wonderfil a Canadin company and have online shop.
Superior threads (USA) have a vast range snd also detailed educational information in regard to threads- well worth the read.
There is no specific bobbin for the 12000 as far as I have read though there is some mention that the Class 15 are slightly different in size from the Class A and better suit Janome machines.
These are the two companies that I use as trust their thread integrity but am sure other reputable companies also are worth investigating.
I am in Australia and will purchase online direct from the afore mentioned companies if unable to purchase locally.
with regard
Ann

On Saturday, 27 October 2018, 4:33:50 AM ACDT, Fern Knoll <fmk@...> wrote:

Lisa Powell

I bought Paxcoo bobbins, a 72-piece set, off of Amazon. There are 2 boxes of 36 each, every one a different color. My 12000 likes them! They’re plastic, not the paper ones.

Carole O'Mara

Are these bobbins for regular piecing (quilting) -  50 wt?

Thanks, 
Carole - Colorado Springs