500E—Embroidery on a hoodie


Roberta K
 

I need to embroider a design on the left chest of a hoodie to give my granddaughter, using my 500E. The hoodie is fairly bulky. It is sweatshirt fabric on the outside with high pile fleece on the inside. I have no idea how to get it to stay in a hoop. I know I cannot hoop the hoodie. I want to use no show mesh to stabilize, but I think the hoodie would pull it out of the hoop.

I don’t own any hoops except the ones that came with the machine. Any suggestions are welcome. Please help! This is a holiday gift!

Thanks, 
Roberta in FL


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

Do you know how to float the hoodie using a temporary adhesive and then baste it in the hoop? That will keep the hoodie securely in the hoop. Keep the rest of the hoodie supported so that the weight of it doesn't pull on the hoop.
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 09:38:25 AM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:


I need to embroider a design on the left chest of a hoodie to give my granddaughter, using my 500E. The hoodie is fairly bulky. It is sweatshirt fabric on the outside with high pile fleece on the inside. I have no idea how to get it to stay in a hoop. I know I cannot hoop the hoodie. I want to use no show mesh to stabilize, but I think the hoodie would pull it out of the hoop.

I don’t own any hoops except the ones that came with the machine. Any suggestions are welcome. Please help! This is a holiday gift!

Thanks, 
Roberta in FL


Roberta K
 

Hi Kathy,

Yes I know how to float and use spray adhesive. However, this hoodie is on the heavy side and I am concerned that the weight of it will pull the stabilizer out of place.

Thanks 
Roberta


Roberta K
 

Kathy: 

I am going to give it a try, but I am wondering if I should use a heavier stabilizer?

Roberta


Ceil J
 

I did one  with a heavier stabilizer (I think it was cutaway but can't remember) and a wash away topper.  I do remember that, after struggling to get the think into the hoop, I realized that I should be using the smallest hoop possible and it worked well. 
Ceil


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

What stabilizer were you planning to use? I was just thinking that embroidering the design as a patch might be easier. I saw a technique where you embroider it on organza.
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 06:00:28 PM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:


Kathy: 

I am going to give it a try, but I am wondering if I should use a heavier stabilizer?

Roberta


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

Roberta, 
I should add that the design on organza did not look like a patch. It looked like it was embroidered directly on a  jacket. 
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 07:54:50 PM CST, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


What stabilizer were you planning to use? I was just thinking that embroidering the design as a patch might be easier. I saw a technique where you embroider it on organza.
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 06:00:28 PM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:


Kathy: 

I am going to give it a try, but I am wondering if I should use a heavier stabilizer?

Roberta


Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>
 

Another correction--sorry! The embroidery design was stitched on tulle not organza. The idea is from Nadine Willis Knecht at Embroidery M.O.M. She is amazing! I hope that your hoodie comes out beautifully.
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 08:03:51 PM CST, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


Roberta, 
I should add that the design on organza did not look like a patch. It looked like it was embroidered directly on a  jacket. 
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 07:54:50 PM CST, Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...> wrote:


What stabilizer were you planning to use? I was just thinking that embroidering the design as a patch might be easier. I saw a technique where you embroider it on organza.
Kathy

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 06:00:28 PM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:


Kathy: 

I am going to give it a try, but I am wondering if I should use a heavier stabilizer?

Roberta


Roberta K
 

Hi Ceil,

I am using the small hoop (5.5 x 5.5”?). So far I am trying 2 layers of no show mesh. If that doesn’t work I will use  use regular cutaway, and an 80/12 ballpoint needle. What size needle did you use? 

Thanks,
Roberta


Ceil J
 

Roberta,
It was a while ago but I either used a Superior Thread's size 12 topstitch, or the Janome purple tip, which I believe is a 14 ball point needle.  I'm sorry that I don't remember and have started to write these things down.  But that doesn't help you.  Please let us know what works for you. I'm not sure that no show mesh, even two layers, has enough hold if your material is thick but it will drape better than a stiffer cutaway. Good luck.

Ceil


Vikki Youngmeyer
 

I just got thru stitching a dog head and names on three grooming table covers which are made of toweling and are elasticized to fit snugly over grooming tables!

As for stabilizer, I cut a large over-sized piece which worked quite well. Not only that, but I used two different machines on each piece. I used my 15000 on the dog heads and a Janome 500 standalone embroidery machine from work to do the lettering. I was able involve a co-worker in this project after finishing up some last year inventory details. She had never done this, so it was a learning experience for both of us: me – the embroidery machine, her the lettering. All turned out well, but it was a real pain in the tushy keeping the covers in the hoops and making sure they were not caught under the hoop.

 

The things we do for friends!

 

Vikki

 

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Roberta K via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2021 5:58 PM
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 500E—Embroidery on a hoodie

 

Hi Kathy,

Yes I know how to float and use spray adhesive. However, this hoodie is on the heavy side and I am concerned that the weight of it will pull the stabilizer out of place.

Thanks 
Roberta


Cheryl Paul
 

Happy New Year, to everyone. Hope that your Christmas and all holiday events were fun to celebrate. We were lucky to have had all our family over for the Sunday before Christmas, as one daughter and family don’t travel for Christmas Day. Another daughter hosted the turkey feast on Christmas Day and all the locals went to her house - a total of 19 that day and 22 on the Sunday before at our house. It was noisy to say the least, but the feasts were great.

Vikki, I bet you and your friend had a lot of fun doing that embroidery. I know what you mean about watching for the “dun lop over”. That happened to me in one of my very first embroideries just about 20 years ago. I decided in all my wisdom to embroidery on a table cloth. I had just got my Janome 10000 up on the kitchen table and was having a wonderful time. Our grandson who was about 10 at the time was in bed already and quite interested in the project, so didn’t stay put. He came downstairs and in a panic said to me: “Grandma how come the sewing machine is sewing by itself, why aren’t you watching it?” I then thought I’d better check so that he wouldn’t be so stressed and would go back to bed. That’s when I discovered that when I’d hooped up the table cloth I’d caught a piece under the hoop and it was embroidery a few layers together. I was so annoyed with myself, as the design was not rework or anything easy to unhook. I ruined the fabric that I was using as I put an hole in taking the embroidery out, just to get it off the hoop. I have NO IDEA where I put it and I’ve wondered over the years, when I think about this - “what did I do with it”. I’m not sure if I donated it on, threw it out OR worse still that it is buried in my stash somewhere. It was a lesson learned but I’m sure that I have repeated this but to a much less extent again in my embroidery adventures and there have been a few. I’m glad that didn’t happen to you - 2 machines, so it would have been an adventure to say the least. It sounds like a very lovely project.

Cheryl - Saskatoon


Helen Parini
 




Wendy Petit
 

505 spray and then baste down stitch also I have just discovered something fairly new (at least to me).  Called SewTites.  These are magnetic "sewing pins"  They have different types.  I have the HD magnets which are the heavy duty ones for thickest projects.  Hope this helps.  I have not tried these as of yet, but I think they will work great.  
 

 

Wendy Petit
 

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 09:38:23 AM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:
 
 
I need to embroider a design on the left chest of a hoodie to give my granddaughter, using my 500E. The hoodie is fairly bulky. It is sweatshirt fabric on the outside with high pile fleece on the inside. I have no idea how to get it to stay in a hoop. I know I cannot hoop the hoodie. I want to use no show mesh to stabilize, but I think the hoodie would pull it out of the hoop.

I don’t own any hoops except the ones that came with the machine. Any suggestions are welcome. Please help! This is a holiday gift!

Thanks, 
Roberta in FL


Roberta K
 

Wendy:
Thank you for telling me about the magnets. I am wondering if they will stay in place on top of the hoops for the 500E? The ones that come with the machine clamp onto the hoop, but obviously, with thick fabric, I can’t do that.

Roberta in FL


Wendy Petit
 

Right.  These will work.  One magnet is put on the top of the project and stabilizer and the "connecting" magnet is put underneath the project/stabilizer.  This holds the project in place on the stabilizer.  I have not tried it yet, but just got mine in the mail.  I think it is a good option.  I too have the magnets that snap onto the hoop.  I find that sometimes this does not work so well.
 

 

Wendy Petit
 
 

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 11:44:24 AM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:
 
 
Wendy:
Thank you for telling me about the magnets. I am wondering if they will stay in place on top of the hoops for the 500E? The ones that come with the machine clamp onto the hoop, but obviously, with thick fabric, I can’t do that.

Roberta in FL


Pixey
 

So I tend to use my HD magnets to hold the project in place along the metal strips embedded in the edge of the hoop or tape metal strips on using gaffer’s tape.  When I tried the approach of using the magnets in the hoop, adjacent to the stitch field, I ran into problems with the magnetic field being strong enough to grab and drag at the needle plate.  If you do use them  to hold it in place while you run a basting stitch, you need to make sure to get it enough away from the stitch area that it won’t grab on the needle plate.

Pixey

On Jan 11, 2022, at 12:36 PM, Wendy Petit via groups.io <wendypetit@...> wrote:


Right.  These will work.  One magnet is put on the top of the project and stabilizer and the "connecting" magnet is put underneath the project/stabilizer.  This holds the project in place on the stabilizer.  I have not tried it yet, but just got mine in the mail.  I think it is a good option.  I too have the magnets that snap onto the hoop.  I find that sometimes this does not work so well.
 

 

Wendy Petit
 
 
On Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 11:44:24 AM CST, Roberta K via groups.io <robkon94@...> wrote:
 
 
Wendy:
Thank you for telling me about the magnets. I am wondering if they will stay in place on top of the hoops for the 500E? The ones that come with the machine clamp onto the hoop, but obviously, with thick fabric, I can’t do that.

Roberta in FL