Janome 15,000 Quilt Maker Tension Cover

Lyn Quine

I also put fabric or paper und the foot to stop dust and fluff dropping into the bobbin case

On 8 Dec 2021, at 21:15, SewingRose <newbuild2012@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

If you don't have UNwaxed dental floss, then use whatever cheap thread you have on hand, I keep some of the ultra-cheap white thread (3 spools for $1), that I would never use in the machine, solely for this purpose and prefer white thread so I can see how much dirt etc is being cleaned off.  You'll be quite surprised if it hasn't been done for a while.

Pull off around a metre of thread, then another metre and do this several times, next give it a twist or two so the threads remain together (not that important but makes it easier).   Now dip it into Methylated Spirits...think it's called Denatured Alcohol in the US?...and allow the excess to drain away, you 'don't want this thread dripping wet' it only needs to be 'damp' so blot any excess with a scrap of fabric etc.  I hold one end near the spool area and follow the normal thread path right to the end, then floss back and forth...the results will tell you if this needs repeating, which is why I prefer to use white thread.  Also check for tiny shreds of coloured thread that have been trapped in the tension discs and were probably causing problems.  Sometimes I've had tiny coloured fibres on the flossing thread when the machine hasn't been giving any problems.

I've been using this method since my first embroidery machine in 2001 and it's still part of my machine maintenance.    Hope this helps?  ;-)

SewingRose

Edited

[...]

Cynthia Dickerson

Thank you so much Tracy!!  I will definitely try this.  I will have to go buy some unwaxed.

Tracy

Cynthia-
Get some UNWAXED dental floss and cut a piece about 15in long.  Thread it thru the machine as if it was sewing thread and hold the ends, one in each hand, as you floss back and forth.  It's awesome how clean it will get things.  Do it with the "lock" on so that the tension disks open (and foot goes down) to get the best result.  Also- if you dental floss package does *NOT* say it's unwaxed, it isn't so look for a different package/brand.  You may need to floss several times by flossing, pulling floss out at the bottom just above the needle eye, and then thread the dental floss thru again and repeat.
Tracy in Nashville, TN
Martha Pullen Licensed Educator

Cynthia Dickerson

Ok thank you Jim.  I think my machine just doesn't like the thread I purchased.

Jim Stutsman

In the 15000 that was manufactured as Quilt Maker there is no removable cover over the top thread guide. Removing it requires removing the top cover and removing the screw underneath. As long as you only pull thread through that area going forward, as in threading, you should be fine. It's when the thread gets pulled backward after cutting that it tends to shave off debris.

Cynthia Dickerson

Does anyone know how to remove the tension cover for the Janome 15,000 Quilt Maker.  I have the repair manual but it just shows how to remove the older version.  Something is catching my thread in there and I would like to take a look at what is going on but I don't want to break the cover because I don't see how to remove it.  Has anyone taken the newer cover off?  Thanks for any help.  Cindy