505 Basting Spray

Cat - N

I’m not sure what the answers are. I think we all have needs as well as concerns. It’s not uncommon for me to make gifts that won’t be opened/used for months, so a consumable product like flour is a concern to me. I gave a quilt to a friend at the beginning of October that will be opened as a gift in February 2022, I have one quilt that has waited for about 3-4 years in a plastic bag (long removed from the gift bag) along with the matching pillowcase and has never been washed because its intended recipient that was ‘due any minute now’ back then never moved to this country…yet. 

I had not thought of the flour getting into the bobbin area but that would concern me, too. I guess it would have to be tested fully but probably not by me…lol

Although I am generally a ‘natural stuff’ person, often opposed to, and very sensitive to chemicals, this may be an application where they make more sense to me, even if I have to use special needles and perform other ‘heroics’ to protect myself from breathing sticky, non-natural substances. 

Dunno…

- Cat

Typos courtesy of autocorrect. 

On Nov 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM, <Kathy Strabel> wrote:

Cynthia- et al, ----Did you mean to say that you were successful, not UN-successful??   Your post conveyed (to me at least) that you were excited about the recipe.    I have not tried this recipe for home-made temporary basting spray. What I am concerned about is I am afraid that when it is fully dry and you are putting it through the machine to do your quilting, that the food ingredient --in this case, flour--would form tiny flakes and get down into the machine workings.  Like very fine dust. I have not seen any mention of this, only have seen concerns about not allowing it to dry completely, or mold forming while it dries.  I don't know which would be worse----fine flour dust in the machine, or gummed-up needles.  I'm just sayin'......
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Kathy Strabel

Cynthia- et al, ----Did you mean to say that you were successful, not UN-successful??   Your post conveyed (to me at least) that you were excited about the recipe.    I have not tried this recipe for home-made temporary basting spray. What I am concerned about is I am afraid that when it is fully dry and you are putting it through the machine to do your quilting, that the food ingredient --in this case, flour--would form tiny flakes and get down into the machine workings.  Like very fine dust. I have not seen any mention of this, only have seen concerns about not allowing it to dry completely, or mold forming while it dries.  I don't know which would be worse----fine flour dust in the machine, or gummed-up needles.  I'm just sayin'......
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Cynthia Dickerson

Thank you for the link for the homemade baste spray!  I tried to find that and was unsuccessful!!

Lynda Lu Gibb

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 7:27 AM JoAnn Novak <vinjosew@...> wrote:

I agree!  Why do so many sites gouge for shipping??

JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.
On 11/8/2021 9:42 AM, Cynthia Dickerson wrote:
Artistic Tack, $24.99 plus $12.00 shipping?  I don't think so!  Things are just getting rediculous!  I will figure out another way.  

JoAnn Novak

I agree!  Why do so many sites gouge for shipping??

JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.
On 11/8/2021 9:42 AM, Cynthia Dickerson wrote:

Artistic Tack, $24.99 plus $12.00 shipping?  I don't think so!  Things are just getting rediculous!  I will figure out another way.  

Cynthia Dickerson

Cat - N

Thank you, Cheryl. I’ve become leery of rattling cans…lol

My previous spray (the good kind made in France)…and the 505…’shake like a whipped cream can’…no sound other than a soft swishy sound inside…so I shook all three brands that were sold in the store and bought the 505 in part because it did not ‘rattle like a paint can’ does. 

have some Artistic Tack in a cart at Kens Sewing Center online, and need to finish out the order as soon as I can, but I am trying to get my three Yorkies bathed today because temps are supposed to drop soon, so quilting is kinda ‘on hold’ temporarily. One quilt is sandwiched and lying on my extension table, another is sandwiched but needs ‘verification’ that I like the sandwich, but hopefully I can get back on it tomorrow after getting some ‘home work’ done.  

I understand exchange rates between countries, having lived in Germany (W. Germany at that time), and it’s tricky due to all the fluctuations.   I also purchase from folks in Australia (in addition to Wilcom) and New Zealand on a fairly regular basis, so am pretty  used to ‘the price’ being a bit different.  I haven’t been too aware of Canadian exchange rates got a while…not since I left New Hampshire but back then, the Canadian dollar was ‘weak’ against the USD, too. I did know border crossings were slow from Canada to Florida…I used to buy a specific brand of modems for my company that came from Canada. Definitely a PITA, so I tried to keep spares on hand…not easy since those were pricey and company finance folks want justification. Lol

The Pfaff machines made in Germany (and Japan…my serger, being one) were great machines, and I would have bought a German Pfaff in Germany in 1980 except I had just purchased a new machine immediately before moving to Germany. I fell in love with the Pfaff machines there, and still have a terrible soft spot for that tech. But the new Pfaff machines are Viking/Singer now and made in China, and while I have no specific ‘malice’ for China, the quality has degraded, IMHO, from the German tech.  I also do not like the downward curve on the machine bed, and much prefer the Janome (embroidery unit) footprint to the embroidery unit plugging in on the left front of the machines on other brands, including Pfaff. Just my preferences…lol

I don’t recall ever seeing “Michael Smith (aka Janomeman on Janome Life Blog)” but could be I did several years ago and have forgotten. I can look for him, though…once I get some ‘errant ducks’ here all ‘lined up in a row’ again. lol  I can’t believe we’re almost back into ‘the holidays’ and I haven’t finished stuff I thought I’d be done with before last year’s holiday’s got here. Whew!

Thank you so much for the information on Janome Artistic Tack.  I really appreciate it!

- Cat

On Nov 7, 2021 at 10:34 AM, <Cheryl Paul> wrote:

Re:  Artistic Tack - temporary adhesive basting spray

No this can does not have anything in it except “spray” as far as I know - NO RATTLES, and neither does the cleaner.

I thought Janome Canada and Janome America were getting closer - like perhaps a merge in the Janome company, but apparently not.  It seems that we have quite a few different things than in the USA - like Janome Canada is the distributor of Madera thread, and Iris (which I had never heard of before Michael Smith (aka Janomeman on Janome Life Blog) started doing classes on Instagram, Facebook, etc. for Janome Canada Headquarters or in short Janome HQ.  He spreads the “Janome Love” as he calls it.  So you see, we do get different products in different countries in the world.  However, you should be able to order these things from a dealer in Canada and even get into some classes that might interest you as well.  Also remember that your dollar goes farther - we have to pay anywhere from $1.25 on a good day to $1.37-1.40 on a not so good day to have ONE American dollar - that hurts when we need to purchase something from the USA.  Then to top that off our stupid border holds things up for ages.  I consider myself lucky that I’m able to live in Saskatoon where we have 1 local Janome (and many other brands) and 1 dealer in Humboldt, just 65 miles east of us.  The Humboldt dealer is much more into Janome that the Saskatoon lady, who really pushes Pfaff as that is where she started and knows so well.  It is very hard to try to think in another brand when you know a different one like the back of your hand.  However, I am friend with both of these dealers and their staff and they treat me very well.

I think that Wendy from Haus of Stitches in Humboldt, would ship to you.  You should be able to find her contact or other Canadian dealers on the Janome Canada website in the “search for a dealer” tab.  Kathy at The Sewing Machine Store, I’ve found doesn’t place as many orders as I’d like to see, but then I don’t know how many of her customers “Spread the Janome Love” either.  I know I do every chance I get, as I’ve had great success with my Janome machines in the last 35 years.  I had a Pfaff 1222 before that and it was a very good machine, but friends who have the most expensive sewing/embroidery Pfaff have had their machines at the dealer for repair than in their sewing rooms, but when they work they do make beautiful embroideries but no better than my Janome’s.

Cheryl - Saskatoon  

Cheryl Paul

Re: Artistic Tack - temporary adhesive basting spray

No this can does not have anything in it except “spray” as far as I know - NO RATTLES, and neither does the cleaner.

I thought Janome Canada and Janome America were getting closer - like perhaps a merge in the Janome company, but apparently not. It seems that we have quite a few different things than in the USA - like Janome Canada is the distributor of Madera thread, and Iris (which I had never heard of before Michael Smith (aka Janomeman on Janome Life Blog) started doing classes on Instagram, Facebook, etc. for Janome Canada Headquarters or in short Janome HQ. He spreads the “Janome Love” as he calls it. So you see, we do get different products in different countries in the world. However, you should be able to order these things from a dealer in Canada and even get into some classes that might interest you as well. Also remember that your dollar goes farther - we have to pay anywhere from $1.25 on a good day to $1.37-1.40 on a not so good day to have ONE American dollar - that hurts when we need to purchase something from the USA. Then to top that off our stupid border holds things up for ages. I consider myself lucky that I’m able to live in Saskatoon where we have 1 local Janome (and many other brands) and 1 dealer in Humboldt, just 65 miles east of us. The Humboldt dealer is much more into Janome that the Saskatoon lady, who really pushes Pfaff as that is where she started and knows so well. It is very hard to try to think in another brand when you know a different one like the back of your hand. However, I am friend with both of these dealers and their staff and they treat me very well.

I think that Wendy from Haus of Stitches in Humboldt, would ship to you. You should be able to find her contact or other Canadian dealers on the Janome Canada website in the “search for a dealer” tab. Kathy at The Sewing Machine Store, I’ve found doesn’t place as many orders as I’d like to see, but then I don’t know how many of her customers “Spread the Janome Love” either. I know I do every chance I get, as I’ve had great success with my Janome machines in the last 35 years. I had a Pfaff 1222 before that and it was a very good machine, but friends who have the most expensive sewing/embroidery Pfaff have had their machines at the dealer for repair than in their sewing rooms, but when they work they do make beautiful embroideries but no better than my Janome’s.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

I'm not a 'germ-a-phobe' but the thought of 'food' inside my quilts made me queasy and uneasy, so not just threats from pests, but also from mold, mildew, rot, degradation, etc., staining and such, and I live in hot and humid Florida where there are sugar ants AND fire ants.  However, I thought it 'might' be worth trying...in a pinch...for something I was making for myself...so I had kept it after I found it years ago, but I was so happy with 'my' spray baste that I never tried that recipe.  I am hoping that the 505 is as good as the one I was using...that I loved.

- Cat

-----Original Message-----
To: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Nov 6, 2021 8:58 pm
Subject: Re: [onlinesewing-janome] 505 Basting Spray

Just me warning that if you use food based ingredients in a homemade spray you must wash the item because it will attract insects which will damage the fabric.
--
Favymtz

favymtz

Just me warning that if you use food based ingredients in a homemade spray you must wash the item because it will attract insects which will damage the fabric.
--
Favymtz

Padden, Jennifer R

If you go to String and Story site, Holly Ann Knight, she has a quilt basting spray recipe too.  It works really well I can attest! https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/2017/2/14/tips-tuesday-homemade-spray-baste?rq=basting%20spray

Ceil J

First of all Congratulations Cheryl on 51 years!!
Here's another addition to the quilt basting sprays that I remember from a while ago.  I never made or used it as I still love the thread basting but someone might be willing to give it a try as it's low cost and the inverter claims it's effective (and the recipe is free).
Kim Jamieson-Hirst has a website at https://www.chatterboxquilts.com and if you scroll down to near the bottom right you will find out how to get her recipe.  It does look interesting.  You may have to sign up to receive it by email but you can later cancel if you're not interested in hearing from her again.  I followed her for a while but no longer do so.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 1:47 PM June E Hudspeth <juneeh@...> wrote:
Congratulations to you Cheryl and your hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you will have an amazing day!

June/Sacramento (It will be 41 years for us on January 3rd).

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cheryl Paul
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 10:34 AM

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina.  Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground.  My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins.  We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc.  They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well. 

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it.  The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers.  These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Skagen <kagen48@...>

Happy Anniversary to you both. 51 years is wonderful. 
Kathy

On Friday, November 5, 2021, 12:33:54 PM CDT, Cheryl Paul <capaul@...> wrote:

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina.  Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground.  My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins.  We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc.  They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well. 

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it.  The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers.  These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Cool!  I’m waiting in the car for my grandson so not ordering right now. Would love your review of the Janome Artistic Tack, once you get it. 

- Cat

On Nov 5, 2021 at 2:48 PM, <Shirley Oglesby via groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for info and I just ordered some from Ken’s

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 1:16 PM
To: Onlinesewing-Janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>

Aha!!!  I found it at Ken’s Sewing Center. I guess the trick is to search for it by name. It’s not inexpensive, as you mentioned, but I will likely order some anyway…as soon as I can. Gotta get going now, and prefer to order from PC…not CB phone. 

Thanks, again, Cheryl. 

- Cat

On Nov 5, 2021 at 1:55 PM, <Cat - N via groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, Cheryl. I haven’t seen Janome Artistic Tack in any store, advertising, catalog, magazine, email from Janome or any dealers/resellers, or internet search, but can/will look for it…will search by name now that you’ve said it exists. 😁. Not sure if it is available in the USA…I’m in Florida (where our ‘sunshine’ is liquid all day today)…the Janome ‘mini duckling scissors’ are not sold here apparently, although they seem virtually identical (except they’re not purple) to the Gypsy ‘mini duck bill scissors’…which I have and like.  

Janome Artistic Tack definitely isn’t sold in the retail stores available to me locally…which is why I had to buy the 505…the only other two basting sprays ‘rattle like a paint can when shaken’ and 505 did not. I have heard of 505 for years but was very happy with the “Made in France” temporary basting spray branded by “June Tailor” but when it became “Made in the USA” (after which it ‘rattles like a paint can’ when shaken, smells funny, and gums needles), I am no longer interested in it or the two cans of it I bought a little while ago…and needed something in a hurry…hence 505 and not ordered…which is why I was/am interested in opinions from 505 spray users before it goes under my needle. 

Congratulations on your anniversary…definitely an accomplishment…and very nice celebration and weather, too. 

- Cat

On Nov 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM, <Cheryl Paul> wrote:

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Shirley Oglesby <daffyduck2012@...>

Thanks for info and I just ordered some from Ken’s

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cat - N via groups.io
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 1:16 PM
To: Onlinesewing-Janome <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io>

Aha!!!  I found it at Ken’s Sewing Center. I guess the trick is to search for it by name. It’s not inexpensive, as you mentioned, but I will likely order some anyway…as soon as I can. Gotta get going now, and prefer to order from PC…not CB phone. 

Thanks, again, Cheryl. 

- Cat

Thanks, Cheryl. I haven’t seen Janome Artistic Tack in any store, advertising, catalog, magazine, email from Janome or any dealers/resellers, or internet search, but can/will look for it…will search by name now that you’ve said it exists. 😁. Not sure if it is available in the USA…I’m in Florida (where our ‘sunshine’ is liquid all day today)…the Janome ‘mini duckling scissors’ are not sold here apparently, although they seem virtually identical (except they’re not purple) to the Gypsy ‘mini duck bill scissors’…which I have and like.  

Janome Artistic Tack definitely isn’t sold in the retail stores available to me locally…which is why I had to buy the 505…the only other two basting sprays ‘rattle like a paint can when shaken’ and 505 did not. I have heard of 505 for years but was very happy with the “Made in France” temporary basting spray branded by “June Tailor” but when it became “Made in the USA” (after which it ‘rattles like a paint can’ when shaken, smells funny, and gums needles), I am no longer interested in it or the two cans of it I bought a little while ago…and needed something in a hurry…hence 505 and not ordered…which is why I was/am interested in opinions from 505 spray users before it goes under my needle. 

Congratulations on your anniversary…definitely an accomplishment…and very nice celebration and weather, too. 

- Cat

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

So sorry…I typed “not by phone” but the phone changed “by” to “CB”…ugh!!!

Can I ask, Cheryl, does the can rattle when you shake it…?

- Cat

On Nov 5, 2021 at 2:15 PM, <Cat - N via groups.io> wrote:

Thanks, again, Cheryl. 

- Cat

- Cat

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina.  Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground.  My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins.  We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc.  They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well.     

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it.  The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers.  These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

Thanks, again, Cheryl. 

- Cat

- Cat

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina.  Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground.  My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins.  We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc.  They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well.    

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it.  The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers.  These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cat - N

- Cat

Cheryl - Saskatoon

June E Hudspeth

Congratulations to you Cheryl and your hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you will have an amazing day!

June/Sacramento (It will be 41 years for us on January 3rd).

From: onlinesewing-janome@groups.io <onlinesewing-janome@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cheryl Paul
Sent: Friday, November 5, 2021 10:34 AM

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina. Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground. My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins. We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc. They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well.

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it. The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers. These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl Paul

Today is our 51st Wedding Anniversary - the weather today in Saskatoon is much the same as our Wedding Day when we were married in Regina. Sun is shining and there is NO SNOW on the ground. My housecleaners are here and brought us 4 individual hand made anniversary cards. These 4 grandchildren are the greatest, just like their 9 cousins. We’ll probably see some of the others later today, and get messages from the 4 that live out of Saskatoon.

Janome has their own basting spray called "Artistic Tack”, it is fairly pricy but then so is 505 or KK2000, etc. They also have “Artistic Clean” for cleaning off hoops if you happen to get some spray tack on them - I haven’t tried the cleaner yet, as I haven’t needed to, but the spray works well.

If I were you, I’d try one can of the Artistic Tack and see if it is as good as I was told when I bought mine - I like it. The Janome Dealer in Humboldt at Haus of Stitches swears by the product and so do some of her customers. These ladies are sewing on expensive machines such as we are use to do our sewing and quilting.

Cheryl - Saskatoon