My 15000’s spa day

Cheryl Paul

Gwen, Your cousin might like a distraction from his wife’s illness, asking him for an opinion shouldn’t add to his stress. Also a call from you might be welcome, you can chat a bit and just find out how his stress level is before asking anything of him.

I would phone the shop where you had your machine serviced and just ask a few questions. I’m not sure what “clicking” sound you are hearing, but my machine clicks when I engage something ie: ask it to “go home”. It also makes the clicking sound of the engaging of the arm - like you’d expect when you push a lever. If those are what you are hearing that is normal. The needle threader however, could very easily go out of adjustment in travelling but that wouldn’t be a something that would normally happen, but I’m saying it’s possible. Let’s just hope that the technician wasn’t a “new” person on the job and didn’t think to ask for help if it was needed. I wouldn’t be to hard of the store, but I do understand your frustration as a hour X2 isn’t enjoyable when it shouldn’t be needed, especially when you may not have any other reason to make the trip. My city is only about a 30-45 minute cross over when you aren’t in heavy traffic so one can easily spend that time in a vehicle just going to visit someone or shop on the opposite side of it. If you decide to make this trip, take a friend along and go out for a nice lunch while they check your machine out - make an appointment first so that they work on it while you are there. Also do as another suggested and take some fabrics you typically sew and do a test before you leave the dealership. You might do this also when you get there to show them what you are experiencing.

Now, what you hope doesn’t happen is something that just happened to me with my iPhone. A friend was trying to call me and I didn’t answer, didn’t get her messages because there was NO SOUND. What I’d forgotten, was that when I went to church last Sunday 5 days ago, I had turned on the “silence” button above the sound control buttons. Totally didn’t even think about it, when I went seeking the problem - I went into settings and nothing seemed to be wrong there, when I pressed the “+””-“ buttons on the side, the sound level changed on my screen. I phoned the service provider and even when he asked if I had turned that button off, I didn’t “get it”, when I did finally “get it”, I felt so dumb. However, now I can phone myself to find the phone when I put it down and can’t find it. I’m just saying that I hope you get your machine problem solved, easier than the silly episode I went through this morning.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Kathy Strabel

Gwen----Yes, it is frustrating that your machine has more wrong with it than before you took it in to your dealer for its Spa Day.  I have had similar experiences in the past, from different dealers.  My best advice is when you go to pick up the machine, take with you some of your own fabrics, a thumb drive with designs you typically use, stabilizers, threads you commonly use, your usual needle and a full bobbin. Do not leave the shop until you have set up your machine and sewn several samples of the type of sewing that you normally do. Embroider  a full design that is not one of the built-in designs,  make a small quilt sandwich and do some quilting, or whatever other kinds of sewing that you typically do. That way, you will not have made the 2-hour round trip for nothing. If the machine checks out, that is great, but you described several things that were wrong that had not been problems before you took it in. Probably some of those things could be addressed while you wait. Find a nice quilt shop to browse in, or take a book and find a Starbuck's where you can spend an hour or so while they re-fix your machine. There is no excuse to call a customer back to pick up their machine when it is not really ready for pickup. I am sure the dealers want people coming into the shops, but with a repair, you just want to pick it up and get back home.   If you are not happy with the machine once you get it back home, it does not improve the relationship between you and the shop. Be proactive in making sure the machine has been properly serviced, since that is what you pay for.
Happy stitching,
Kathy Strabel   Camas WA

Fran

You an get Janome on the phone yourself. They are wonderful! After having my 15000 at the dealer’s 3 times in 4 months, I called. They had the ‘educator’ called who had me go through every conceivable solution. She even had me put the phone to to the machine to listen to the noise. I would try calling before driving an hour plus.

candy1027@...

I've had a similar problem with my 15000 after it was upgraded to Quiltmaker.  The upper tension discs aren't opening, which causes the thread to break.  It is like when the presser foot is down and trying to pull thread through needle.    I am to take it back to my dealer, and they will get Janome on the phone to find out why this is happening.

candy Brown

William D Lawson

Hello everyone,

I took my 15000 to her spa day a while back. I just asked him to clean and check everything out.  I don’t think he even tried to run it or sew with it using the threader or the thread cutter or the embroider unit.

Problem number one- My needle threader was working fine and now it is hanging up as the hook leaves the eye of the needle. It is still working but it worries me.

Problem number two -  every time I use the thread cutter, the thread is so tight in the upper part of the machine, that the thread snaps up and unthreads the needle.  When I just pull the thread carefully, the needle actually bends. I’ve tried using the adjustments under the setting tab but it still unthreads every time.  So frustrating.

Problem number three - when I get ready to embroider and I’ve opened the arm, the machine makes a clicking noise as it goes into position.  It embroidered ok but it makes the same noise when it goes back into the home position.

I did not have ANY of these problems before I sent it in.  I am beyond livid.  The Janome shop is a little more than an hour away and I don’t  feel comfortable leaving my machine again. Are these easy to fix?  Would it be possible for the service tech to fix it while I wait?  Has anyone else had any similar issues?

I purchased my Skyline 5 and my Quilt Maker Pro 18 with Prostitcher Premium from this shop.  My cousin used to work in his shop.  His wife is going through some health issues and I really don’t want to add to his stress but I also am not happy with my machine right now.  Are these easy things that he should have noticed?

Thanks in advance,
Gwen Lawson