Thread loops on bottom of fabric

Sheri-A

Jim, as always, I very much appreciate your assistance (and love your humor).  It will be a month or so before I can take my 15000 in for maintenance and until then, I will be sewing on a slower speed.

ladybug35186

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 9:17 AM, Diane <Sewgran7@...> wrote:

I was having the same problem and it turned out that some small spring was broken and it was causing the thread to catch and make a loop.

Diane Bacon

Diane

I was having the same problem and it turned out that some small spring was broken and it was causing the thread to catch and make a loop.

Diane Bacon

Jim Stutsman

Edited

Coincidentally we just went through a similar problem with Diane's 15000. There were 3 small problems, the final solution being to service the machine. It had not been done in the past 4 years or more. (Insert shoemaker's children story here.)

However in your case, that's not very likely to be the cause. Since it seems to get worse with speed I would suspect a burr on the hook race. We can rule out the bobbin case, since you changed that, but I would still inspect it for roughness. What's happening is that the needle thread is catching every so often, so the stitch cannot pull up tight. Remove the needle plate and check it for nicks around the needle hole. Next remove the bobbin case. Look closely (strong light, magnification) at the edges of the hook race the the bobbin case rides on. A needle break can leave a nick or scratch in that, which will catch thread. If you find one your dealer can polish it out with a Janome tool (Part #OILSTONE). You'll need to point it out though, since service techs often don't check for it. I didn't for the first several years of our dealership. Also while you have the bobbin case out take a close look at the white plastic piece on the bottom of the hook race. Needle breaks can scratch that and leave rough edges. This is a very inexpensive part that is easy to replace, but not a lot of dealers stock them. I used to buy 25 at a time, and replace them as needed during a service. Hope this helps!

Sheri-A

I started seeing small loops on the bottom side of my fabric.  I have changed the following with no luck: thread, bobbin, needle, and bobbin holder. I have thoroughly cleaned my machine.  I have checked the area under the bobbin holder for any nicks or scratches. I have been able to determine this problem is not showing up when I change the speed on my machine to the medium setting.  Is there anything I can do short of taking it in?  It's last maintenance was about 7 or 8 months ago.  I'm attaching pictures.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.