noise from bobbin area on e500 Machine

Roberta K

Pixey,

I have the same problem on my 500e. Thank you for the suggestion to do “one stitch and stop” because I have encountered too many designs that have many color changes in a small area, which makes the thread nest problem even worse. I will definitely try it and give feedback.

Roberta in FL

Pixey

Kathy,
In response to your other question about the auto cut and thread tail blobs on the bottom underside.  I have experienced this as well whenever I used the auto cut on any of my Janome machines.

Others may have advice they can offer, but I have found two ways to address it.  One is to turn off the automatic jump stitch cutting and cut the jump stitches manually.  The other is to turn on the one-stitch stop feature.  If I am remembering correctly, it will take one stitch and stop after it has done a thread cut and then you can pull the bobbin thread to the top and pull out a longer tail and hold it to the top.  Changing the setting on the jump stitch length has no effect on the tail left from cutting, it just changes the criteria for when it will auto-cut the jump stitch.

Pixey

On Jan 12, 2021, at 5:44 PM, Kathy Strabel <ksbappa@...> wrote:

Hello Janome users---With the crummy weather, I have had more time to do embroidery and I have run into a problem that I have not found an answer to. Jim S. offered me some good advice and I think what he said fixed the problem, but not comletely. I am getting random small "blobs" of thread on the underside of my projects. Jim's advice about the needle possibly re-entering a previous hole and causing skipped stitches, made sense for the specific design I was working at the time. Now another design is doing that as well. I will hear some rattling sounds coming from the bobbin area when the stitches go awry. So, I thought maybe it was backspin on the bobbin. So I hooped 2 layers of Heat N Gone (because it is clear, and I can see the bobbin as it sews).  I ran the same design directly on the Heat N Gone, with the same thread and everything else the same except, of course no cloth blocking my view of the bobbin. I put a mark on the same clear plastic pre-filled bobbin, so I could judge when/if it acted up while stitching. It did not exhibit any backspin, but would frequently "jiggle" at times.   Do I need a new bobbin case? I have examined the case with magnifying glasses and by feeling around inside and outside of it and I have not found any cracks, burrs, scratches, etc, but maybe something is amiss? I am using the yellow dot bobbin holder that came with the machine, and 40 wt embroidery thread.  I have never used the red dot bobbin holder for this machine--I believe one came with it--but I understand it is for use with Janome brand threads. Who makes Janome brand thread? I have never seen it for sale anywhere, and what is the difference between Janome and , say, Floriani threads which I use mostly.

Another problem I am seeing is that when the needle advances to the next color, there is about a 2" thread tail that the needle plunges down into the fabric, then makes a few anchoring stitches and then goes on to complete that color. At the beginning of the color block, there is always a "bubble" or a blob of tangled threads on the back side--I assume it is that 2" piece. I have set the jump stitch cut length to 2 clicks below the default, but the thread tail remains at 2" or so. Just enough to make that ugly blob on the back side. Not a problem if the back side won't be seen, but when stitching directly on tea towels,  pillowcases, etc. you want the back to be as pristine as the front. Both of these things I mention are rather new, I have had the machine for 2 years or so and have cleaned/oiled her religiously.
Comments, anyone??     Be safe and healthy out there!!!
Kathy S. Camas WA

Kathy Strabel

JIm--Thank you for your quick response. I shall inspect the race/hook and needle hole in the plate  carefully under magnification, and try the red dot bobbin case to see if any of those things is the culprit in the jiggling of the bobbin  in the bobbin holder.. I will post any new findings, but due to my available time, it may be a few days before I can get back to my embroidery machine.  THanks so much for your clear and concise information.   Kathy S.   Camas WA

Jim Stutsman

Nicks, scratches, and gouges in the bobbin case can definitely cause the “bouncing bobbin” phenomenon. It can also happen if there is damage to the hook race that the bobbin case sits in. Remove the needle plate and bobbin case. Use a bright light and magnification and look closely for damage. The thin rim around the edges of the hook race must be absolutely smooth and shiny. When sewing, the needle thread wraps all the way around the bobbin case between the hook race and the bobbin case. Any scratches, nicks, or damage can cause it to catch and make the bobbin case jerk. The bobbin will bounce as well. Another place that can cause this is the hole in the needle plate. If a needle breaks it may scar the edge of the hole, again causing problems.

The red dot bobbin case can be used with all threads. The yellow dot case is only needed if you are getting bobbin showing with the red dot case. The red dot is calibrated to Janome bobbin thread. Some other bobbin threads are thinner, especially the commercial ones. That’s why the yellow dot case was created, but you should certainly try the red dot to see if it behaves the same. If it does, then it’s likely hook race damage. There is a tool (Janome part #OILSTONE) that dealers can use to buff out damage, but you will probably need your dealer to see the machine. If you don’t have a problem with the red case the yellow dot one may be damaged. If you don’t get bobbin thread showing with the red dot, just use that.

Kathy Strabel