Janome 9mm Quilt Binder Set

Janice Stebenne

Does anyone use or have tried the 9mm Janome Quilt Binder set?  My husband bought me one and I am having a hard time with it and was wondering if anyone has any tips.

Karen Cone

I have the Quilt Binder and with a little practice, its the best!  The corner takes the most practice.  I had to do it twice and then binded a quilt, came out quite nice.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 15, 2017, at 7:59 PM, stebennej@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Does anyone use or have tried the 9mm Janome Quilt Binder set?  My husband bought me one and I am having a hard time with it and was wondering if anyone has any tips.

Janice Stebenne

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am a new MC 12000 user.  Do you pin the corners?  I have a hard time with the pinning or is there another way besides hand basting them?

Janice

Cat - N

I have the 7mm Janome Quilt Binder set and I have used it on my 11000.  I have not purchased the 9mm set for my 15000 because I have the 7mm and the 11000, too, and the 9mm is quite a pricey unit if you don't really need one that is only 2mm wider...unless it is a gift...LOL

I used the quilt binder set on a flannel quilt with poly batting and 2-1/2" flannel binding.  It worked really well in test and through the first part of the binding.  Flannel being quite soft and stretchy, despite having been sprayed/ironed until pretty stiff with sizing/starch, was probably not the best binding to use with the set, and the poly batting with the flannel was not the best combination either due to the thickness of the batting, and softness/stretchiness of the flannel.  I had enough trouble with it, though, that I bound the second flannel quilt the 'normal' way, and even hand stitched the binding, finishing just hours before having to leave to attend the baby shower.

At the time, I guessed that it was my combination that resulted in the thicknesses needing 'help' to ride under the presser foot at times.  I guessed that with thin batting and cotton fabrics, that it would work well/better but definitely practice is needed IMHO.  I swore that I would try it again with a 'regular cotton' quilt with thin batting, but I haven't been able to get back to that project.

As I said, I practiced for quite a while on a duplicate quilt sandwich sample and got the set adjusted and working nicely before I put the 'real' quilt under the presser foot, but with the larger quilt, once it started being stubborn on the feed dogs, I guessed the weight became an issue as well.  For sure, that binding will not come off though, no matter what that baby does to it over the years...LOL

When it was working well, it was gloriously pretty and absolutely perfect, though...and, for the record, no one noticed and no one seemed to mind the irregular stitching either...except mortified me!

If you have scraps you can make sample quilt sandwiches out of, I'd say try again...make potholders, coasters, doggie pads/quilts, etc.  I do think it could be a lovely time saver for some projects, and some day, I am going to haul it back out and play some more.

- Cat

Try using one of the dual feed feet with the binder. That really helps.

stebennej@...
Fri, Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Does anyone use or have tried the 9mm Janome Quilt Binder set?  My husband bought me one and I am having a hard time with it and was wondering if anyone has any tips.
_#AOLMsgPart_2_e6889196-eadc-4e34-80c3-025f1e5921b7 td{color: black;} .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin: 10px 0; padding: 0 10px;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp hr { border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp #aolmail_hd { color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight: 700; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp #aolmail_ads { margin-bottom: 10px;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp .aolmail_ad { padding: 0 0;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp .aolmail_ad p { margin: 0;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mkp .aolmail_ad a { color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none;} .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ygrp-lc { font-family: Arial;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ygrp-lc #aolmail_hd { margin: 10px 0px; font-weight: 700; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%;}.aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ygrp-lc .aolmail_ad { margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0;} .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_actions { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px; padding: 10px 0; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity { background-color: #e0ecee; float: left; font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity span { font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity span:first-child { text-transform: uppercase; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity span span { color: #ff7900; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_activity span .aolmail_underline { text-decoration: underline; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_attach { clear: both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding: 10px 0; width: 400px; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_attach div a { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_attach label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_attach label a { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_bold { font-family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_bold a { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody dd.aolmail_last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody dd.aolmail_last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody dd.aolmail_last p span.aolmail_yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; } .aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_attach-table { width: 400px; } .aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_file-title a,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_file-title a:active,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_file-title a:hover,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_file-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_photo-title a,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_photo-title a:active,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_photo-title a:hover,.aolReplacedBody div.aolmail_photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody div#aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg #aolmail_ygrp-msg p a span.aolmail_yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_green { color: #628c2a; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } .aolReplacedBody o { font-size: 0; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_photos div div { border: 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow: hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_reco-category { font-size: 77%; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_reco-desc { font-size: 77%; } .aolReplacedBody .aolmail_replbq { margin: 4px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { margin-right: 2px; padding-right: 5px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg select,.aolReplacedBody input,.aolReplacedBody textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg pre,.aolReplacedBody code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:100%; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-mlmsg #aolmail_logo { padding-bottom: 10px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-msg p#aolmail_attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-reco #aolmail_reco-head { color: #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-decoration: none; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ov li { font-size: 77%; list-style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-sponsor #aolmail_ov ul { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-text { font-family: Georgia; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-text tt { font-size: 120%; } .aolReplacedBody #aolmail_ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right: none !important; }

Ceil J

Cat,
When I mentioned to my dealer that I was interested in buying the binder for the 15000 he didn't sell it to me but told me that the next time I make an appointment to come in (I live almost 3 hours away) to let him know in advance that I want the binder and he'll have the shop's expert teach me how to use it.  He says it's easy once you know the tricks and so I'm hoping that I can learn and get it this spring.  It's been on my list for a while and it's good to know that it can work well and be a time saver.  My hands no longer appreciate sewing on bindings which I did for the first several quilts I made. Also as I'm unlikely to ever enter a show (this will NEVER happen), why do this?  I did find that if you make a binding with a contrasting piping, you can successfully do the whole thing by machine, and I've gotten great results sewing the binding to the back and using the serpentine stitch on the front.
Thank you  for sharing this.
Ceil

Lucy Fino

There’s a great tutorial on YouTube.

Sent from Lucy's iPhone

On Dec 15, 2017, at 9:59 PM, stebennej@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Does anyone use or have tried the 9mm Janome Quilt Binder set?  My husband bought me one and I am having a hard time with it and was wondering if anyone has any tips.

B Diane Landon <publicaddress@...>

I saw a really nice video on how to use this. I thought it was on Janome site.

Sent from my iPad

Cat - N

Hi, Janice.  Yes, I did pin the corners.  I thought the corners were 'tricky' to accomplish, but I 'faulted' myself for being inexperienced with the set...LOL  I suppose you could also put a dab of glue instead.

I do want to try the quilt binder set on round coasters, etc. I have not rounded corners on any of my quilts, but it might work really well like that, and no need to miter the corners.

Congratulations on getting your 12000.  I am sure you will love it, and what it can do.

- Cat

Cheryl Paul

For the binder attachment - if you have Jim and Diane’s 15000 APP for the iPad, or Footbook, there is an excellent tutorial there as well to show you how to use this attachment.

Check this website:

https://janomelife.wordpress.com,

This new foot called the “Taping Guide Foot” - looks rather interesting as it will sew on the seam binding (purchased or homemade) in an easy step - or so the commercial goes. I tried to buy a couple for Christmas presents from 2 local dealers and they don’t have it yet. This won’t do a quilt, if the pictures are anything to go by, but I have sewed this stuff before and this foot looks like it would be an easier task. We sometimes like to cheat a little and skip a facing and just do a seam binding instead.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

cas <cassweet@...>

I didn’t watch this, but looked because I wondered it if was the tape binding foot I just bought.  Nope, but this might help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYzrK69JGA