HorizonLink Update and Windows 10

Pixey

I got my 15000 upgraded a few weeks back but have been consumed by some things at work and have been using my 500E for a t-shirt embroidery embellishment project. So I have not had a chance to test the physical aspects of the upgrade. May try to do it this weekend, with fingers crossed. I mainly did it for the new Ruler foot features. I’ve been following some of the struggles people have been having with the HorizonLink update and Windows 10 (which I have on my laptop) and have a question. I’ve downloaded the update and saved it, but do I have to go ahead and install the update? Or can I continue to use my current version of HL? I don’t tend to connect directly to the machine wirelessly...prefer to use USB drives to transfer designs. What other things will I be missing out on if I delay doing the software update? Thanks, Pixey Sent from my iPad

The number of people having trouble is very small. Those who got it upgraded successfully don't bother to post, so you only see the ones with problems. If you are worried about the update breaking HLS, make a full backup of your computer first. I prefer using an image backup, with Acronis being the best one. With an image backup you can restore everything back exactly as it was at the time of the backup.

Anne Parker

Here in UK we get the machine upgrade software and the new Horizon Link on a USB in the upgrade kit (which also includes all the new feet and foot holder).  So we get everything to upgrade the machine apart from the new pin for the needle threader.  If we want that we have to send the machine to Janome - I'm currently not planning to do that as my threader works fine.

My kit arrived from the dealer on Tuesday.  I don't have my machine available at the moment (it's packed, in storage over 200 miles away at my step-daughters while we are trying to move!) but of course I have my laptop.  In fact I have my old laptop (upgraded to Windows 10) with HL1.2 on it and my new laptop (came with Windows 10 installed) without it on (the disk with HL 1.2 is also at my step-daughters!)

Anyway I installed HL 1.31 onto my new laptop - you don't need the old HL 1.2 to install the new one.  The HL folder from the USB is copied to your laptop (I guess you just download the files sent via email in the US)  then you select the setup.exe file and it installs beautifully.

All was fine until all of a sudden HL closed and then my shortcuts to it wouldn't work.  I searched for Horizonlinksuite.exe and couldn't find it in the Janome folder where it had installed or anywhere on my computer, so I uninstalled via the control panel and installed again and it was fine - then up popped a message from my Bullguard Antivirus telling me it had quarantined Horizonlinksuite.exe and gave me the option to report it as a false positive, which I did and HL has worked fine every since.

I did take a look in the Bullquard quarantine folder and there sure enough was the missing Horizonlinksuite.exe from the first install.

So for me both HL 1.2 and HL 1.31 work fine on Windows 10.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion"  Martha Graham

Important Note: The Machine Accessory Upgrade Kit for the 15000 sold in the UK and Australia (Part #862414007) is not the same as the one sold in the US and Canada (Part #862414018). The UK/AU version comes with a USB drive that contains the machine update to V3 and the FULL install for Horizon Link Suite 1.31. The US/CA version does not contain a USB drive. Instead the machine owner is directed to a dealer to have the machine updated and registered with Janome. Upon registration Janome emails a link to download an UPDATE to Horizon Link Suite. This update requires that Horizon Link Suite already be installed on the user's computer.

Cheryl Paul

Pixie,

I just had to do a re-install of HLS. Read the instructions first as I didn’t and then had to do it twice. I think that you have to remove the old program first, as the link they send is complete - it installed for me when I had to do a clean install as I managed to delete Windows 10 and parallels off my MacBook. I seem to manage to do crazy stuff like that now and again when I’m trying to make 500GB into more, I removed all my documents and somehow more that I didn’t know I’d done. Now I’m back to begging Janome for new activations for a couple of software programs.

Once you’ve got your new version of HLS and load it you won’t even know it is different except when you check for the version.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Virginia

Cheryl I just got the new Dreamaker however the CD that was included was a VER 1.2.  Should I install the CD and then do the Update or is it a complete program.  I remember when we got Ver 4 in digitizer we had to removed the previous versions in order for it install.  I do not want to install the 1.2 if I have to uninstall to get it to work.  Actually I am still undecided if I want it on my Windows 10 at all where I have Ver 5 and Embrilliance.
Ginger

I just had to do a re-install of HLS. Read the instructions first as I didn’t and then had to do it twice. I think that you have to remove the old program first, as the link they send is complete - it installed for me when I had to do a clean install as I managed to delete Windows 10 and parallels off my MacBook. I seem to manage to do crazy stuff like that now and again when I’m trying to make 500GB into more, I removed all my documents and somehow more that I didn’t know I’d done. Now I’m back to begging Janome for new activations for a couple of software programs.

Once you’ve got your new version of HLS and load it you won’t even know it is different except when you check for the version.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Virginia

oops I meant Quiltmaker.

I just had to do a re-install of HLS. Read the instructions first as I didn’t and then had to do it twice. I think that you have to remove the old program first, as the link they send is complete - it installed for me when I had to do a clean install as I managed to delete Windows 10 and parallels off my MacBook. I seem to manage to do crazy stuff like that now and again when I’m trying to make 500GB into more, I removed all my documents and somehow more that I didn’t know I’d done. Now I’m back to begging Janome for new activations for a couple of software programs.

Once you’ve got your new version of HLS and load it you won’t even know it is different except when you check for the version.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

JUDY

Are you saying thAt if I buy a new computer with Windows 10 that I have to get a new version of Horizon Link?  I can’t just load the original program fton the cd that came with my 15000?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2017, at 4:53 PM, Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Pixie,

I just had to do a re-install of HLS. Read the instructions first as I didn’t and then had to do it twice. I think that you have to remove the old program first, as the link they send is complete - it installed for me when I had to do a clean install as I managed to delete Windows 10 and parallels off my MacBook. I seem to manage to do crazy stuff like that now and again when I’m trying to make 500GB into more, I removed all my documents and somehow more that I didn’t know I’d done. Now I’m back to begging Janome for new activations for a couple of software programs.

Once you’ve got your new version of HLS and load it you won’t even know it is different except when you check for the version.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Pixey

Thanks for sharing this information Anne.

—Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 14, 2017, at 4:50 AM, Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cheryl...I will definitely read the instructions before doing the update.

Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 14, 2017, at 3:53 PM, Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Pixie,

I just had to do a re-install of HLS. Read the instructions first as I didn’t and then had to do it twice. I think that you have to remove the old program first, as the link they send is complete - it installed for me when I had to do a clean install as I managed to delete Windows 10 and parallels off my MacBook. I seem to manage to do crazy stuff like that now and again when I’m trying to make 500GB into more, I removed all my documents and somehow more that I didn’t know I’d done. Now I’m back to begging Janome for new activations for a couple of software programs.

Once you’ve got your new version of HLS and load it you won’t even know it is different except when you check for the version.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

SparkleFever

Anne, Thanks for the clarification re the UK update, much appreciated.  It saved me having to do the research myself.  My plan is to get the USB package for the 15000 upgrade in January.  I'm so pleased that I don't need a trip to Stockport to apply it.  The journey is only an hour+ for me without the frequent traffic congestion but even so it's not a pleasant drive.

SF

Pixey

Judy,

The original HorizonLink suite disk will work fine with a new Windows 10 computer.  My question is relating to an upgrade that is distributed by Janome if you upgrade and exiting 15000 to the Quiltmaker features.  Some individuals with Windows 10 have encountered a snag.

Sorry if my question triggered a mild panic.

Regards,
Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 14, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Judith Ponikvar ponikvar60@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Are you saying thAt if I buy a new computer with Windows 10 that I have to get a new version of Horizon Link?  I can’t just load the original program fton the cd that came with my 15000?

Sent from my iPhone

Pam Davison

I have installed HorizonLink suite on 2 windows 10 computers and my worked fine.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The original HorizonLink suite disk will work fine with a new Windows 10 computer.  My question is relating to an upgrade that is distributed by Janome if you upgrade and exiting 15000 to the Quiltmaker features.  Some individuals with Windows 10 have encountered a snag.

Sorry if my question triggered a mild panic.

Regards,
Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 14, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Judith Ponikvar ponikvar60@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Are you saying thAt if I buy a new computer with Windows 10 that I have to get a new version of Horizon Link?  I can’t just load the original program fton the cd that came with my 15000?

Sent from my iPhone

cas <cassweet@...>

You can install the original CD and update as needed depending on which version of machine you have.

Cas

Are you saying thAt if I buy a new computer with Windows 10 that I have to get a new version of Horizon Link?  I can’t just load the original program fton the cd that came with my 15000?

HEATHER COWAN

After several failed attempts mine installed after windows 10 did a very large security update.  I am suspicious that the former security was keeping the setup from happening correctly and once those security file were updated then things went just fine.  You might try updating your windows 10 security and then try the link again.  it worked for me.
Hugs
Heather

[...]

Ok thanks! My retailer did the quilgmaker upgrade for me