Knee Lifter Adjustment

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

On another post, someone asked for suggestions on what we do to "reach" the knee lifter. Though mine are both adjustable, they still aren't a comfortable reach. This was a suggestion I picked up somewhere, and it's worked marvelously and comfortably. Cut an 8" length of flexible swimming pool noodle and slide it onto the blade of the knee lifter. It stays snugly in place and is firm enough to take knee pressure and not compress/flatten.

Jan in MD

Fran

Thanks, Jan, I will try that.

On Saturday, December 9, 2017, 10:26 AM, blue_lak wrote:

On another post, someone asked for suggestions on what we do to "reach" the knee lifter. Though mine are both adjustable, they still aren't a comfortable reach. This was a suggestion I picked up somewhere, and it's worked marvelously and comfortably. Cut an 8" length of flexible swimming pool noodle and slide it onto the blade of the knee lifter. It stays snugly in place and is firm enough to take knee pressure and not compress/flatten.

Jan in MD

favymtz

You can also have a Janome tech adjust the port that the knee lift fits into to make it easier for you to reach it. I had to do that when I got my 6600 years ago because I’m only 5 ft tall and the lever was too far to the right for my leg to reach it!

Anne Parker

Faviola

I'm curious to know what exactly the tech did to your 6600.  I can't see how adjusting the port on the 15000 would make it easier to reach the knee lift as where ever it reaches from it's current position it would be too far away for me.  The port itself would need to be moved to the left  2 or 3 inches in order for me to reach the knee lift comfortably.

Now if they put a couple of ports on the machine - at different places - for placement of the knee lift that would be a big improvement! :0)

I'm only 4ft 11ins and always have such issues.  I must get round to trying the 'fixes' with the pool aids other people have mentioned.  I haven't used the knee lift at all because it's impossible for me to use comfortably and ergonomically and it was one of the functions I wanted on a machine :0(

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion"  Martha Graham

Fran

Anne, thank you for asking the question. I didn’t understand how the port could be moved, either. I’m 5’  2.5” (use to be 5’ 3”) and can’t reach it. A couple ports would be a great idea. I’m not sure the pool noodle would even be thick enough but I’m willing to try it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, December 11, 2017, 6:08 AM, Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

cas <cassweet@...>

I’m 5’6” and can’t reach it comfortably either.

Cas

B Diane Landon <publicaddress@...>

I’m 4 ft 10 and most of it is legs so I’m very short when sitting. I bought the adjustable knee lift fir my 6600. It has a different angle in the lower part and a connection piece that enables it to be adjusted so white handkerchief is closer to the left or further away. I was never able to use the original but this new style works for me. My S9 came with the new one so I can use my knee/ leg with both machines.

Sent from my iPad

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

I'm not a metallurgist, but it might be worth taking the knee lifter to a machine shop and see if it could be bent a bit. That combined with the pool noodle might work for you.
Jan

favymtz

Good question! He didn’t move the port he only rotated it clockwise so that the knee lifter is now angled more toward your leg. It’s hard to describe without pictures and I don’t own the machine anymore. It worked great for many of us short sewists.

cas <cassweet@...>

Do you have the part number for the adjustable knee lift?

Cas

Anne Parker

Does anyone know anything more about this adjustable knee lifter and whether it works (fits) on the 15000 and whether it indeed means you can get the point to push against further to the left?

It would be good to see pictures of both comparing.  I'll have to have a search on the web.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion"  Martha Graham

The knee lever that comes with the 15000 actually is the adjustable one. It allows a small amount of movement by loosening the screw at the end that attaches to the machine. It does not allow for a lot of adjustment, so the pool noodle fix is often still needed. Previous posts have also referred to the knee lift socket itself being adjusted on a different Janome model, but I don't think this is possible on the 15000 due to the way it is attached.

Barb Engvall

I’m fascinated by this conversation about the knee lifter as the way my machine is situated it is actually in the way some times! You might just try adjusting the position of the machine or your chair and see if that helps. It might also be the height of the table or cabinet your machine is sitting on/in…

On Dec 13, 2017, at 5:31 AM, Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Barb, I’ve tried all of the things you mentioned. It’s just too far away. The answer is not to bother but paying that much for a machine, I like to use everything.