Stabilizer for embroidery

Carole OMara

I have the Janome 12000 and have only done small embroider projects.  I have a design that is 37000+ stitches, 7.8 x 7.8 size.  I will use the SQ23 hoop and embroider on Kona cotton.  The design will be made into a throw pillow.  Which stabilizer should I use to support all the stitches?

Thanks for any advice.

Carole

vesta@...

I have a similar question....working on a Anitagoodesign block..... 9x11" so have to use the GR hoop.  Design has more than 100,000 stitches.  Thinking of trying 2 layers of No Show Fusible or ordering some of Floriani's embroidery batting that says it supports high count design.  Would plan to leave the no show mesh in.  I think either would work.....but will be interested to hear how others answer your question.
Vesta

norma carson

I would go with 2 layers of medium weight cutaway layered crisscrossed.  they say 1 layer for every 10,000 stitches but if you are using kona cotton (and not a stretch fabric) you should be OK with 2 layers medium weight....good luck and keep us posted.
Norma
Lodi, CA

On Nov 23, 2017, at 10:43 AM, comara0202@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I have the Janome 12000 and have only done small embroider projects.  I have a design that is 37000+ stitches, 7.8 x 7.8 size.  I will use the SQ23 hoop and embroider on Kona cotton.  The design will be made into a throw pillow.  Which stabilizer should I use to support all the stitches?

Thanks for any advice.

Carole

maggie cooper

I regularly stitch designs over 100000 stitches, I never require 2 layers of stabiliser. I use a non branded cutaway medium weight, 2.oz stabiliser,  have you test stitched a portion of the design on a similar weight fabric, tried different stabilisers. When you use two or more layers of stabiliser you are in effect creating a quilt, and that brings along with it unwanted puckering. Take a look at the article regarding high stitch count designs

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProjects/Projects.aspx?productid=PR1868

This is a supplier in the USA

http://www.datastitch.com/20-oz-cut-away-soft-n-stable-backing-style-8820

http://www.datastitch.com/25-oz-cut-away-soft-n-stable-backing-style-8825

Maggie cooper uk

marjackpot@yahoo.com

I do large stitch counts also but I use a medium weight tearaway.  I do use a fusible featherweight interfacing on the fabric and make sure that it is put on the hoop on the straight of the grain. If I am doing large stitch counts that are going on clothing I embroider directly on nylon mesh stabilizer and then applique the design to whatever it is going on.  This does save the article if you have a boo boo.  I also do this for onsies and tee's.  If you have appliqued the design it can always be taken off and then put on something else.

Marge in Fl.

Marsha

I just made some pillows and only used 1 layer of a lighter weight tearaway. The fabric was a heavy cotton. It stitched out beautifully.
Marsha R