OT Purse pattern you love

cas <cassweet@...>

Does anyone have a bag/purse pattern you’ve sewn and absolutely love?  I’m looking for one with lots of pockets and a closed top so all my stuff doesn’t fall out.

I might make all or part of it with cork on the exterior.  For sure I want at least one outer pocket.

I’m looking online but there are so many I don’t know where to start.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Cas

Ceil J

Cas,
Never finding the perfect bag I've made my own.  Several years ago I made the "Laguna" bag which is a pattern from Quilter's Dream.  I added inside and outside zip pockets and custom pockets inside.  I literally loved it to death as one day I realized it had LOTS of wear.  Oh, and one day early on someone asked if I made the bag and when I replied "yes", she said "I thought so".  This was because, I suspect I used batting for the sides.
So to replace the bag I wanted the same size 11x16x3 but I wanted it to last longer than the several years of my old bag.  ("my old bag" sounds funny).  I used the same basic pattern but, after looking at the areas of greatest wear, made the handles out of a nice vinyl which I also used for the bottom corners (copying from a bag called "The Everything Bag" from Connecting Threads.  I used better fabric as I no longer buy fabrics from Connecting Threads, used Annie's Soft and Stable to line it, and added a zip top closure following directions online similar, if not, https://so-sew-easy.com/sew-a-recessed-zipper-on-a-bag/.  I again put in an outside zip compartment, one inside to hide my wallet and loose money, and custom pockets inside tweaking what I had done before.
It took me a while to finish but I'm glad I did.  I'm hoping that there won't be an issue with not putting the vinyl at the very bottom of the bag but my old one didn't show wear there so that should work out well.  The longest part might be the planning as you want a bag that is the right size for you.  So I'd say start with a favorite bag and go from there.  When I made my first bag I wasn't sure that it would be so perfect, I thought it would be too big at first but it turned out to be the right size for putting a book or ipad in it which was a consideration for me.  I don't carry them around unless going to an appointment but it's nice to know they fit.  If I can figure it out again, I'll post photos.
Ceil

cas <cassweet@...>

Thanks for the ideas Ceil.

I have sewn a bag I invented myself.  I thought of everything, made all the pockets the right size and everything. Yes, I even made an outer pocket for my tablet. I put little rubber feet on it.   BUT, it was too heavy!  I made it from denim, with denim pockets and quilted lining.  Also, I made the inner pockets too close to the top.  So I decided to add a snap and took it to a local place where they sell heavy duty snaps.  Since he put it on free I took advantage of that, only to have him put it off center.  Arrrrrgggghhhhhh!  That drove me nuts quick.  The main reason I don’t use it is that it really hurts my already damaged neck, it’s just too heavy.  I don’t even carry that much stuff, but do have a habit of carrying stuff “just in case” I need it.

Anyhow.  I’m hoping to save all that brain steam and buy a pattern that is darn near perfect already, and then make adjustments as needed.  Or, I might just make a perfect inside organizer, and different shells.  This one is pretty nice:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/purse_organizer/

I no longer buy Connecting Threads thread or fabric.  I find it very poor quality.  I gave away all the thread I bought there and wrote on the bag “for hand sewing only” so no one junks up their machine with all the lint.    The fabric ravels like crazy and is so open weave it doesn’t hold shape at all.

Thanks for the link for the recessed zipper. I subscribe to So Sew Easy email too.

lol@ your old bag sounding funny.  I agree, it does. (says this old bag, ha!)  Maybe she said “I thought so” because she admired your old bag though.

[...]

sandy k

Lazy Girl's Margo purse.  She has excellent directions

SandyK Magnolia Springs Quilts
From my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2017, at 4:17 PM, cjancola@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

I really like that one, thanks Sandy K.  I bet that would look cute with cork as the base.

Here’s the pattern:

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/patterns/margo-handbag/289207

Cas

Ceil J

Cas,
Thanks for that great link!  I don't think it would fit in my bag but I sure can modify it.
Here's another idea then that I forgot about.  I was a pattern tester (only once, I don't really need the free patterns or the stress of finishing) and this bag was a LOT of work but turned out great.  Unfortunately it's too big for most of the time so I only rarely use it, plus it weighs more than I'd like due to its weight.  But she makes a lot of other bags and you might find one that works. https://sewsweetness.com/products/park-west-bag. If you google "Park West" bag mine is the one that comes up with the bright green handles.  I have a funny story for this bag.  I stepped aside at a store to let a woman pass and she barely looked at me and didn't say "thank you" which I expected.  However, after she went by me she said, "nice bag".  I almost fell over!  It certainly is bright.
Yes, no more Connecting Threads thread either.  I use what I bought (before I knew better) in my Juki which is a mechanical machine but really regret buying it.  When I went to my dealer for the update, I had taken the 5-thread holder off the back and put away the threads.  I didn't want to show up with no thread in the machine so just grabbed a CT thread that was sitting nearby.  Well, my dealer (who is great) looked closly at it, frowned, and asked if it was CT, and when I said it was, he told me not to use it.  I explained that I usually don't have it in the machine but felt like a kid when the teacher catches her doing something she knows is wrong!
These bags are pretty popular too and have tempted me: https://www.studiokatdesigns.com/
Good luck and don't forget to post if you find the perfect bag. :)
Ceil

Lucy Fino

Studio Kat designs has amazing bags. I made the concealed weapon purse and love it.

Sent from Lucy's iPhone

On Oct 26, 2017, at 1:18 PM, 'cas' cassweet@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a bag/purse pattern you’ve sewn and absolutely love?  I’m looking for one with lots of pockets and a closed top so all my stuff doesn’t fall out.

I might make all or part of it with cork on the exterior.  For sure I want at least one outer pocket.

I’m looking online but there are so many I don’t know where to start.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Cas

sandy k

Your welcome.  Ive made 10! And is my favorite purse for myself!

SandyK Magnolia Springs Quilts
From my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:03 PM, cjancola@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Deb Keldrauk

Ceil, I have used Connecting Threads fabric in the past but haven't in a long time. I thought that they were a pretty good buy. I am just curious as to why you don't use them any more, did you have a problem?
Just being nosy,
Deb in CA

Ceil J

Deb,
Nosy is good! We'd never learn without it!
Re: Connecting Threads material- I found them to be very inconsistent in quality ranging from very poor with a loose weave, plastic-like printing, and fading to just okay.  I thought they were a great buy too but you can get good buys at Joann's too but the quality just doesn't compare to most of the major companies. Once I bought some nice fabric lines such as Moda I could tell the difference right away.  If I'm going to make something nice, something I've spent my precious time on, I don't want to use fabric that won't give me great results.  I did find that some of their batiks worked fine, but life's getting too short for me to waste time taking chances.  Now I buy fabric when I know it's going to be quality.
I'm not saying it's all or mostly junk, and they have introduced some new lines with designers who likely would not risk their reputation on junky fabric.  You can always buy samples and test them too as their charm packs are very inexpensive.

cas <cassweet@...>

Thanks Ceil.

I think the Park West would be too big for me too.  I use a cross body backpack type purse now, and often just a little pouch purse that holds my phone and a cloth “receipt keeper” that has two pockets, one for credit cards.  Fun to make and good holiday gift: http://aroundthebobbin.com/receipt-holder-tutorial/

Your story is so funny, and it’s nice she gave you a compliment.  It’s a very pretty purse!

I love that StudioKat site.  Thanks for the link.  I like the Gadabout, and I noticed you get a free purse insert pattern when you buy a bag pattern there. I’m going to look closely at some of the other patterns too.

Hopefully our OT chat will let people know the evils of Connecting Threads so they don’t get chewed out by their dealer,  lol!  Btw they sell that thread on Amazon and other places as well so it’s important to look closely to see what thread you’re buying.  I think I bought a bundle there because when I tried to get a credit from CT for it they said I only bought 2 spools.  My sewing studio was so dusty from it!  My PC was really clogged and it may have helped it die a slow death even with frequent cleaning.

Cas

cas <cassweet@...>

I forgot to mention I thought the FrouFrou purse was so cute on sewsweetness site.  I saved the pattern but I think it’s too big

https://sewsweetness.com/2012/01/frou-frou-bag.html

Estelle Torpy

All this great conversation about purses and when I opened up an email from Sew4Home, there was a purse pattern that looked like I would like it.
Here’s the link:

Estelle

Deb Keldrauk

Thanks for the input Ceil.

I am with you if I am going to invest the time it takes to make a nice item then I want the fabric to be the best I can afford. I shop when my local quilt shop has sales like Christmas fabric for next year when the season is over :) There are also some good buys online for the better manufactured fabrics so I usually have something suitable on hand. I steer clear of "J" fabrics for the most part although I made some nice kitchen items with some cuts of their "Buttercream" line and they came out nice and wash well too. After so many years of quilting and sewing I can tell just by a glance and quick feel if the fabric is worth my time.

Have a great weekend,
Deb in CA

raesd@...

I made the Grace model of these and used it for years. Sooo versatile. Changed out the outer shell to match either the season or my mood. I put the handle tabs on the sides for a cross-body. Loved it to shreds. Gotta make me another one... if I can find that pattern
...rae...

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Funny what you learn as you go along!  A friend started me with Connecting Threads, and I bought a bunch. A machine dealer had a quilting club, where I learned so much about thread and fabric.  I got rid of what I had, and now buy good quality.  Through my guild, I followed a link to an article on the Keepsake blog about fabric quality.  I love a bargain as much as anyone, but realize the amount of work is the same no matter what the fabric quality is.  I now buy less, look for quilt shop sales, and know what I make will last.  I had contacted a manufacturer looking for an old pattern, and she recommended Quiltshops.com, and assured me they carry

cas <cassweet@...>

I love all the clear pics and instructions, and especially that she uses a Janome!

Cas

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

This article was in a link from my guild newsletter.  I thought it was a good explanation of how fabric is made.  I have started weeding through my stash, giving away my bargain fabric.  I tell the recipients so they can decide for themselves if they want it.  I buy very little these days, and only what I need, not extra because I like it!  No judgement implied, just thought it was interesting, and explains why quilt shops charge more.
 Sue Raabe  Susie’s.stitches@...

http://blog.keepsakequilting.com/2016/03/difference-chain-store-fabrics-quilters-grade-fabrics/

Patricia Ward

Sue, good article and I have seen the difference between the chain store fabrics in a quilt and the quality quilt store fabrics.
One time at quilt guild one of our members brought a quilt that she had made about 8 years before using some of the chain store fabrics.   Each block that contained the chain store fabrics had faded fabric in it.  This was not a quilt that was exposed to high sunlight ... just normal light... and wow, did that fabric fade.   She said she learned her lesson about where to purchase her fabrics.  She then went on to detail some of this information that is in the article.

Seeing is believing; so believe this article.

Pat in MD