Jeans sewn on the 15000 and Skyline 7

Estelle Torpy

Thank you to all who wrote suggestions about sewing flat felled seams on denim. I posted some photos of me in my new jeans in an album named Estelle.

I used the Tessa jeans pattern from Seamwork magazine by Colette. The denim is a lightweight woven fabric. I ended up using the quarter inch foot and zipper foot to get even double straight stitching on the seams.

I stitched a 5/8" seam trimmed one side, folded and pressed the other side in to the stitch line and then top- stitched the seam allowance flat. I used a size 100 top-stitch needle to top-stitch the decorative stitching on the back pockets.

These jeans are so comfortable to wear with a slightly looser fit and a curved waistband. The waistband sits at my waist which is a personal preference for me. My adult daughter likes her jeans to sit lower.

Both my machines handled the denim with ease, even when sewing over 3 thicknesses. I did slow down when crossing the seam in the back where the yoke attaches to the lower part of the pant leg (6 layers). I sewed most of the jeans with a red 90 Janome needle.

Thanks again for your help.

Estelle, who is cutting out the next pair of jeans tonight.

cas <cassweet@...>

Those turned out great!  The fit is perfect.  Thanks for the tips on sewing the flat felled seams.  I like jeans that sit at the waist too, and room for my behind.  Is this the pattern you bought?
https://www.seamwork.com/exclusives/tapered-leg-jeans

Cas

Patricia Ward

Nice job, Estelle.   They have a good fit and look really nice.

Pat in MD

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM, emtorpy@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cas,

I used the original Tessa pattern, here’s the link

You found the alteration to taper the legs of that pattern. The legs on the original Tessa pattern is 20 1/2” around. I haven’t looked at the tapered leg pattern so I don’t know what the size difference is.
My jeans are very comfortable and not baggy but not skin tight either. I wore them to a conference that went from 7am to 9pm with a lot of sitting. They still looked pretty good at the end of the day.

I have also made a couple of Oslo jackets from Seamwork which I find work well in knit fabrics.

I highly recommend the Tessa pattern. I am now making a pair with slightly stretch denim.

Estelle