Janome 15000 puckering

Maria Morrow

I have just started to try to use decorative stitches on my15000. No matter what I have tried, the fabric is puckering. I am using one or two layers of cotton. I have tried a new needle, new thread , less tension, more tension, re-threading, new sharp needle...I  feel like I have tried everything. The  first improvement is heavily stacking the fabric, letting it dry,  then ironing it and then sewing   I feel the machine should make the fabric pucker without all this effort.   Very expensive machine should do all its functions without these issues.

I am new to sewing so I know there are techniques and "tricks". But I read online and tried many things.

Decorative stitches pull the fabric much more than straight stitches. Even though it's not embroidery, the effect is the same and so is the fix. Use a stabilizer. Usually a lightweight tear-away is sufficient. Even a bit of freezer paper applied to the back with an iron can help a lot. It has nothing to do with the machine, just the physics of thread pulling on fabric. Note that if you are sewing on the bias it will be even more of a problem. Try stabilizer and life should be good again.

Maria Morrow

Help...need suggestions on a remedy.  My first email had so many typos...no wonder none of you replied lol. If you have any ideas, I'm all ....eyes.  Thanks.

I have just started to try to use decorative stitches on my15000. No matter what I have tried, the fabric is puckering. I am using one or two layers of cotton. I have tried a new needle, new thread , less tension, more tension, re-threading, new sharp needle...I  feel like I have tried everything.

The  first improvement came with heavily starching the fabric, letting it dry,  then ironing it and then sewing   I feel the machine should not make the fabric pucker without all this effort.   Very expensive machine should do all its functions without these issues.

I am new to sewing so I know there are techniques and "tricks". But I read online and tried many things.

cas <cassweet@...>

Like Jim said, stabilizer.

I resisted using stabilizer but really love the difference it makes.  It doesn’t have to be anything fancy.  I’ll even grab the printed instructions from interfacing bolts and sew on top of that.  I tear it off and toss it when I’m done.  The paper is nice and thin.  Tissue paper works too.  Even copy paper.  Anything that stops the thread and cloth from sinking into the big slot.

Cas

Help...need suggestions on a remedy.  My first email had so many typos...no wonder none of you replied lol. If you have any ideas, I'm all ....eyes.  Thanks.

I have just started to try to use decorative stitches on my15000. No matter what I have tried, the fabric is puckering. I am using one or two layers of cotton. I have tried a new needle, new thread , less tension, more tension, re-threading, new sharp needle...I  feel like I have tried everything.

Pauline Dickerson

try using a stabilizer under the fabric. Sometimes the tension is just to tight for the weight of fabric

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Maria Morrow mariamorrowquilter@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Help...need suggestions on a remedy.  My first email had so many typos...no wonder none of you replied lol. If you have any ideas, I'm all ....eyes.  Thanks.

I have just started to try to use decorative stitches on my15000. No matter what I have tried, the fabric is puckering. I am using one or two layers of cotton. I have tried a new needle, new thread , less tension, more tension, re-threading, new sharp needle...I  feel like I have tried everything.

The  first improvement came with heavily starching the fabric, letting it dry,  then ironing it and then sewing   I feel the machine should not make the fabric pucker without all this effort.   Very expensive machine should do all its functions without these issues.

I am new to sewing so I know there are techniques and "tricks". But I read online and tried many things.

Maria Morrow

Thank you!  Today at my quilting group, they told me the same thing! I am getting stabilizer right away. Thank you so much, Maria

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Claire Schutz

I would suggest you go to https://lindeegembroidery.com/    on her home page she tells about her videos for puckering. Her information will surprise, we always think of stabilizing first but check out what she tells as the problem.  Great info, Claire S.

On 10/4/2017 6:23 AM, Maria Morrow mariamorrowquilter@... [janome12000] wrote:

Help...need suggestions on a remedy.  My first email had so many typos...no wonder none of you replied lol. If you have any ideas, I'm all ....eyes.  Thanks.

I have just started to try to use decorative stitches on my15000. No matter what I have tried, the fabric is puckering. I am using one or two layers of cotton. I have tried a new needle, new thread , less tension, more tension, re-threading, new sharp needle...I  feel like I have tried everything.

The  first improvement came with heavily starching the fabric, letting it dry,  then ironing it and then sewing   I feel the machine should not make the fabric pucker without all this effort.   Very expensive machine should do all its functions without these issues.

I am new to sewing so I know there are techniques and "tricks". But I read online and tried many things.

cas <cassweet@...>

We’re responding to her question about puckering when sewing decorative stitches.  Not necessarily embroidering.  Sewing decorative stitches in sewing mode, without a hoop.

I found the same advice about using stabilizer for decorative  stitches worked great yesterday when I was trying to sew a stretch stitch on knit.  It kept the very satiny/stretch fabric from puckering and also helped the machine sew consistent stitches.  I sewed a stretch running band to keep my phone in.  It fits around the waist, and has a zippered pocket.  I sectioned the pocket so I can put my key in there too.  My machine still got stuck on the thick spots again though.  So my belt isn’t real pretty, but is functional.

Cas

Claire Schutz

Oh, very different.  I have done that on a Pfaff.  First make vertical and horizontal lines for the design and of course lining up the center of lines with center of design.  Stabilizer is a must.  Sew on slow to very slow speed.  Watch the foot in relation to the lines, not the needle.  Takes some getting used to.  With this machine I would use the foot pedal. Claire S.

On 10/6/2017 10:45 AM, 'cas' cassweet@... [janome12000] wrote:

We’re responding to her question about puckering when sewing decorative stitches.  Not necessarily embroidering.  Sewing decorative stitches in sewing mode, without a hoop.

I found the same advice about using stabilizer for decorative  stitches worked great yesterday when I was trying to sew a stretch stitch on knit.  It kept the very satiny/stretch fabric from puckering and also helped the machine sew consistent stitches.  I sewed a stretch running band to keep my phone in.  It fits around the waist, and has a zippered pocket.  I sectioned the pocket so I can put my key in there too.  My machine still got stuck on the thick spots again though.  So my belt isn’t real pretty, but is functional.

Cas

Maria Morrow

Thank you so much! I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone