DIME Quilt Topper and Splitting Batting

J Fraker

I'm quilting my first whole quilt on the 12000 (not my first quilt, just my first using the embroidery machine).  I purchased the DIME Quilt Topper a few weeks ago, just about the time there was a discussion about it.  I hated it at first because the quilt sandwich was too far above the machine bed.  Turns out that's an operator error on my part.  I am quilting a large lap quilt and had trouble with some designs I was using with a lot of backtracking.  Got those done and am now doing the block corners (triangular shape) and decided to give the Quilt Topper another go.  I love it!  Turns out, I was just keeping the quilt too taut.  I kind of press it down into the hoop, put the quilt topper on, and it is stitching beautifully.  I'm using a single run feather design that I digitized myself with MBX.  It's a huge timesaver because I was going to have to do a lot of re-hooping.  In addition, many thanks to whoever it was that suggested splitting the batting.  Makes everything much easier.  I'm starting the quilting on a second quilt and am doing the center section, then will do each end.

Ceil J

Thank you for sharing this!  I also purchased the DIME and wasn't sure about it after reading your initial post.  I tried it, but like most new things, it probably takes some getting used to it.  Now I'll make sure to give it a shot.  I've got to check out the batting splitting.  Just did a very large quilt and it was quite difficult to maneuver.  What did we ever do before the web?  Well, guess we weren't quilting with these wonderful machines.  Thank you again.

Sharon Simmons

May I ask just what the DIME Quilt Topper is?  Is it just the hoops?  Thanks, Sharon

[...]

Pixey

Thanks for the follow up and tip.  I purchased the DIME Quilt Topper at a demo/workshop discount but had hesitated to use it after some of the comments...plus have been ridiculously busy with work and general life chaos.  I will have to give it a try when I get some breathing space.

Regards,
Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 30, 2017, at 8:20 PM, J Fraker frakersfunnyfarm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Have you heard of the Snap Hoop from Designs in Machine Embroidery?  They don't make it for the Janome machines because of the location of the embroidery arm.  The Quilt Topper is sort of the substitute for the Snap Hoop.  It works with the Janome ASQ hoop.  It is just a plastic ring that has slits in it for magnets.  The magnets are very strong.  You attach the ASQ hoop to your machine, lay your quilt in the hoop where you want a design, put the DIME plastic ring on top and pin it in place with the magnets (there are 12 magnets that come with the Quilt Topper).  When you want to move to the next section of the quilt, instead of removing the ASQ hoop and re-hooping the quilt, you just take the magnets off, slide the quilt to the next area, and attach the Quilt Topper with the magnets again.  Saves a ton of time and effort.  I tried to find a video using the quilt topper, but haven't found one.  If you watch the snap hoop video on YouTube, it works in a similar manner.

[...]

cas <cassweet@...>

I understand you let the fabric lay along the bottom of the hoop, but does the stitching pull the cloth sideways when you do it that way?

Cas

J Fraker

No, haven't had that problem.  I do stitch in the ditch around the whole block before starting any other quilting.  This allows me to remove basting pins and keeps everything in place.  This is my first quilt using the embroidery machine, so I don't have all the answers.  I am using smaller designs right now, so I don't know what is going to happen if I stitch designs that extend at or near the outer limits of the hoop.

I understand you let the fabric lay along the bottom of the hoop, but does the stitching pull the cloth sideways when you do it that way?
Cas

cas <cassweet@...>

Thanks so much.  I’m really thinking about getting one instead of making one.  I need to order another “F” foot so I could save on shipping.  Has anyone else had their satin stitch “F” foot crack?  A corner of mine broke off.

Cas

No, haven't had that problem.  I do stitch in the ditch around the whole block before starting any other quilting.  This allows me to remove basting pins and keeps everything in place.  This is my first quilt using the embroidery machine, so I don't have all the answers.  I am using smaller designs right now, so I don't know what is going to happen if I stitch designs that extend at or near the outer limits of the hoop.

Gail

I do the same think with the AQS hoop.  I attach it to the machine, put the quilt on top, align it with the heavy plastic template, put the magnets back on and off I go.

I bought the Quilt Topper and can't figure out how to use it accurately.  How do you line up your design with out the gridded plastic template?  I print a picture of my design and tape it to the template, and use that to align each section.  I must be missing something because I can't figure out how to align the quilt with the Quilt Topper.  It's just a big open square.

Any suggestions?

Gail in FL

J Fraker

I put my template in place on the quilt, mark the center point, remove the template and drop my needle into the center point to hold the quilt in place, then attach the quilt topper.  You can use the piecing on the quilt top to get it aligned straight with the edges of the quilt topper, or measure if necessary.