Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:03 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Flat felled seams in jeans

Hi all,

I am in the middle of making a pair of jeans on my 15000 (and my Skyline 7 while the 15000 is getting its upgrade) and wondered what foot to use for the flat felled seams?

My old Pfaff had a flat felled foot (in two sizes) designed with a large tunnel underneath that funneled the thick seam through so that the stitching was lined up.
On the top of the foot, one side of the foot was higher than the other side to travel over the thicker seam.

I am thinking of using a twin needle to sew the double line of stitches. I have increased the stitch length to 4.0.

Any hints or suggestions on what foot (feet) to use to make this job easier. Janome doesn’t seem to make a flat felled foot.

Estelle

songnbird

I would NOT use a twin needle to do flat fell seams; there is just one bobbin thread which I think might get caught or wear out over time making all of your stitches come out :(
As far as the foot goes, use the F foot; it has a bit of a raised area underneath which  allows the thick seam to pass through relatively easily.

Linda near Buffalo NY

Ceil J

I have a flat-felled generic snap on foot for my older Janome.  I prefer to do it by folding and pressing the seam by hand.  At first I was thrilled to get this foot as I made a lot of cute boxers for my grandson when he was young.  It might be good to note that it can no longer be used with my machine as I have up update and I don't believe there is or likely will be an ankle that fits the new machine and attaches the slimmer feet. I did not use the foot for jeans either.  I found a much better result by sewing the seam, clipping, then pressing, then top stitching.  I would not use a double needle on denim.

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

I, too, probably wouldn't stitch a true flat felled seam on denim with the Skyline. A mock flat felled seam would be fine. On my 12000, I use wash away Wonder Tape to hold seams in place and stitch with the zipper E-D foot on the "single" even feed foot. It's the perfect width to ride right on top of the seam. I move the needle position to the left or right and align the edge of the foot with the seam. And if it's really denim, a jeans/denim needle works best to avoid skipped stitches or needle breakage.
Alina has a good explanation of using the Wonder Tape for this seam.
https://alinadesignco.com/2017/03/27/how-to-sew-flat-felled-seams/
Jan in MD

cas <cassweet@...>

I use the snap on ankle from my older Janome on my 15000 if I want to use my older feet.  I  just have to make sure to not do wider than 7mm stitch.  Does the new update not allow that?  I have a dozen attachments for my older machine.

Cas

Subject: [janome12000] Re: Flat felled seams in jeans

I have a flat-felled generic snap on foot for my older Janome.  I prefer to do it by folding and pressing the seam by hand.  At first I was thrilled to get this foot as I made a lot of cute boxers for my grandson when he was young.  It might be good to note that it can no longer be used with my machine as I have up update and I don't believe there is or likely will be an ankle that fits the new machine and attaches the slimmer feet. I did not use the foot for jeans either.  I found a much better result by sewing the seam, clipping, then pressing, then top

Jim Stutsman

There is nothing in the update that would prevent using the 7mm foot holder. However the new foot holder was specifically designed so the needle threader would not hit it. The 7mm foot holder could still be at risk for hitting the threader.

cas <cassweet@...>

Ok thanks,  I won’t use the threader when using a 7mm foot holder.

I’ve noticed my needle barely fits inside my P foot.  It almost hits the left side of the metal oval.  I’ve often wondered if I inadvertently bump it against the P and this is what knocks it out of alignment when I’m embroidering.  I frequently have to reseat the needle and replace it.

I rarely have a problem with the threader when I’m piecing.

Cas