Quarter inch seam

Connie

What is the preferred method for sewing accurate quarter inch seam allowance on the 15000?  I just purchased the Accuquilt cutting machine and I want to try out a few sample blocks. 

Connie S.

Susan Kime

I have the brother scan n cut machine and use it for cutting out fabric for quilting often using the quilt block designs  built in.It is also great for cutting appliqué shapes. I do have the Janome 15000 machine. If I had a Brother embroidery machine my cutting machine can read their format of pes and would cut out the applique shapes needed for the design. Keep meaning to see if it would work if I convert a Jef design to a Pes and see if it would work. We do not sell the cutting machine you mention in the uk. The brother one does have a scanner built in which is very useful as can scan in my own designs... I love my 15000 and have been a Janome person since 1968 when my  first machine was a New Home , have been a sewing machine consultant  for them for many years. I still do free lance teaching on their machines and am also lucky to live only 15min from their uk headquarters.....Love hearing what is discussed on this forum....
Sue.

Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
From "Connie Strittmatter sewpicky1@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...>
Date: 21/08/2017 4:57 PM (GMT+00:00)
To janome12000@...
Subject [janome12000] Quarter inch seam

What is the preferred method for sewing accurate quarter inch seam allowance on the 15000?  I just purchased the Accuquilt cutting machine and I want to try out a few sample blocks. 

Connie S.

Susan Kime

Sorry read this wrong thought you were talking about the cutting machine that Janome sell in the USA and not in the UK. Have seen the Accuquilt on Create and craft seems a lovely machine but the investment in all those different size dies is quilt an outlay. Although I quilt I do not do alot so Scann cut seemed a better investment for me.

Sent from Samsung tablet

To janome12000@...

Connie S.

Cheryl Paul

What is the preferred method for sewing accurate quarter inch seam allowance on the 15000? I just purchased the Accuquilt cutting machine and I want to try out a few sample blocks. 

Connie S.

Connie,  I think you want to do the update and then you should have your solution.  Check with your dealer for details - hopefully they attended Janome Institute to have the latest information.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Lylian Jettar

Connie,  just use the O foot for the 1/4 inch. I use my Accuquilt dies to cut different patterns and this foot works well with them. 

On 22/08/2017 8:31 PM, "Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

What is the preferred method for sewing accurate quarter inch seam allowance on the 15000? I just purchased the Accuquilt cutting machine and I want to try out a few sample blocks. 

Connie S.

Connie,  I think you want to do the update and then you should have your solution.  Check with your dealer for details - hopefully they attended Janome Institute to have the latest information.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

bigmary@...

I have the Elna equivelent to the Janome 12000. I swear by the Cloth Guide - the most helpful invention since sliced bread <lol> !!

I am sure the 15000 also includes the Cloth Guide!

Mary A Rease - bigmary@...
Rease's Realistic Designs
http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/collections.php?id=RRD
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reasesrealisticdesigns/

Connie

Do you use the Patchwork setting?

On August 22, 2017 at 7:14 AM "Lylian Jettar lyls868@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

Connie,  just use the O foot for the 1/4 inch. I use my Accuquilt dies to cut different patterns and this foot works well with them. 

On 22/08/2017 8:31 PM, "Cheryl Paul capaul@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

Connie S.

Connie,  I think you want to do the update and then you should have your solution.  Check with your dealer for details - hopefully they attended Janome Institute to have the latest information.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Virginia

I have the scan and cut however I have been using the accuquilt to cut applique for 3 baby quilts and it is not an easy task. You are limited to one cut at a time and if you want to iron fusible cutting one leaf or small piece is a real pain. With the scan and cut you have a 12x12 mat or 12x24 mat to cut numerous pieces. Given the choice the Brother Scan and cut is a much better choice and Brother offers a free on line software called Canvas. 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

From: "'susan.kime' susan.kime@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...>
Date: 8/21/17 8:29 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: janome12000@...
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Quarter inch seam

Sorry read this wrong thought you were talking about the cutting machine that Janome sell in the USA and not in the UK. Have seen the Accuquilt on Create and craft seems a lovely machine but the investment in all those different size dies is quilt an outlay. Although I quilt I do not do alot so Scann cut seemed a better investment for me.

Sent from Samsung tablet

To janome12000@...

Connie S.

Cat - N

‎Yes, the 15000 has the Cloth Guide, and so does the 11000, and it works beautifully on both of my machines.   You can set it to 1/4" or just a scooch less.  I use a hem gauge to verify . 

- Cat 

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.
Warning:  The foregoing message is likely a combination of what I meant to say and words the nice machine liked better.

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:34 AM, ‎bigmary@... wrote:

I have the Elna equivelent to the Janome 12000. I swear by the Cloth Guide - the most helpful invention since sliced bread !!

Mary A Rease <bigmary@...>

I have the 11000 also and used the Cloth Guide on it - LOVED it!! This is the main reason I bought the elna when it came up for sale on SewItsForSale. The 11000 is starting to decide not to turn on every time. Bummer !!! I love it but not sure about if it is worth the price of repair. I bought it when they first came out.

Mary

On 8/22/2017 10:01 AM, Cat - N navillusc@... [janome12000] wrote:

‎Yes, the 15000 has the Cloth Guide, and so does the 11000, and it works beautifully on both of my machines.   You can set it to 1/4" or just a scooch less.  I use a hem gauge to verify . 

- Cat 

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.
Warning:  The foregoing message is likely a combination of what I meant to say and words the nice machine liked better.

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:34 AM, ‎bigmary@... wrote:

I have the Elna equivelent to the Janome 12000. I swear by the Cloth Guide - the most helpful invention since sliced bread !!

Mary

Posted by: Cat - N
Reply via web post

Virus-free. www.avast.com

cas <cassweet@...>

Connie,

I go to the apps, select Patchwork.  I move the top setting to 9 and use the straight stitch plate and O foot.  This gives me an exact ¼”

I also change the lower setting because I think 1.8 is too tight, but maybe some people like their seams that tight.  I like 2.2 or 2.4 since I typically do a lot of seam ripping.

J

Cas

Connie S.

Linda <lindamrobertson7@...>

DITTO

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:06 PM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] Quarter inch seam

Connie,

I go to the apps, select Patchwork.  I move the top setting to 9 and use the straight stitch plate and O foot.  This gives me an exact ¼”

I also change the lower setting because I think 1.8 is too tight, but maybe some people like their seams that tight.  I like 2.2 or 2.4 since I typically do a lot of seam ripping.

J

Cas

Connie S.

Connie

I didn't think the needle position could be moved when the straight stitch plate is being used.  We can???

On August 22, 2017 at 1:06 PM "'cas' cassweet@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

Connie,

J

Cas

Connie S.

DARLENE DICK <darlenegee@...>

I have had a difficult time sewing quilt blocks, because if I do use the 'perfect' quarter inch seam using the O foot, my blocks are always too small to trim. I would love to use the quarter inch foot, minus a thread or two. Why cannot I do this on a rather expensive sewing machine? Otherwise, I am content.

Darlene

cas <cassweet@...>

Same here Darlene.  I decided it doesn’t bother me if my quilt blocks are slightly smaller as long as they are all slightly smaller the same amount  so they match up.  I compensate by cutting my fabric with the line on the ruler on TOP of the fabric, there’s my scant thread width.  There is still ¼” to trim or use as seam allowance.

You can also use the straight stitch foot with the needle in the center position and Utility or Quilt stitch #1.  You just have to use the edge of the foot or an added guide to judge your ¼”  I have a little magnet metal guide I place where I want if I do it that way.  If you use the dual feed foot the VD right edge is exactly ¼”.  So you can use it as a guide and run the fabric just slightly inside that edge.  If you use F foot, the inside of the right toe is ¼”.

I’m waiting to hear how people like the upgrade package.  It doesn’t seem to me like we will be able to move the needle over with that either.

Cas

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 6:07 PM

I have had a difficult time sewing quilt blocks, because if I do use the 'perfect' quarter inch seam using the O foot, my blocks are always too small to trim. I would love to use the quarter inch foot, minus a thread or two. Why cannot I do this on a rather expensive sewing machine? Otherwise, I am content.

Darlene

Joyce VanAtta <shesews4em@...>

My 11000 has also decided not to turn on every time.
It is 12 years old.  It was in the shop four times in five
weeks last summer and never misbehaved while there.
Since then it has worked fine until just recently.  So frustrating!!

The clothsetter came when I had the machine updated.
I have not used it much but this group makes me want to
use it a lot more.  There seems to make adjustments other
than the programed settings.

I enjoy all the info provided on this group.
Joyce

JoAnn Novak

I so agree with you Darlene.  I have a hard time trying to get the 1/4", so decided whatever I do I will

be consistent.  So refreshing .

Hugs,  JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

Same here Darlene.  I decided it doesn’t bother me if my quilt blocks are slightly smaller as long as they are all slightly smaller the same amount  so they match up.  I compensate by cutting my fabric with the line on the ruler on TOP of the fabric, there’s my scant thread width.  There is still ¼” to trim or use as seam allowance.

You can also use the straight stitch foot with the needle in the center position and Utility or Quilt stitch #1.  You just have to use the edge of the foot or an added guide to judge your ¼”  I have a little magnet metal guide I place where I want if I do it that way.  If you use the dual feed foot the VD right edge is exactly ¼”.  So you can use it as a guide and run the fabric just slightly inside that edge.  If you use F foot, the inside of the right toe is ¼”.

I’m waiting to hear how people like the upgrade package.  It doesn’t seem to me like we will be able to move the needle over with that either.

Cas

Darlene

Mary A Rease <bigmary@...>

I have the clothsetter for both my 11000 and the Elna (same as the Janome 12000). I will admit that I have NEVER used the Cloth Setter for either machine, but use the Cloth GUIDE all of the time to do Quilt Piecing on both machines. It makes getting an even 1/4 inch seam sew easy !!

Mary A Rease bigmary@...

On 8/23/2017 4:44 PM, Joyce VanAtta shesews4em@... [janome12000] wrote:

J

Virus-free. www.avast.com

J Fraker

I'm glad someone mentioned the cloth guide.  I have the 12000 and I'd forgotten I even had it, so I tried it out briefly today and it is great!

Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 6:19 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Quarter inch seam

I have the clothsetter for both my 11000 and the Elna (same as the Janome 12000). I will admit that I have NEVER used the Cloth Setter for either machine, but use the Cloth GUIDE all of the time to do Quilt Piecing on both machines. It makes getting an even 1/4 inch seam sew easy !!

Mary A Rease bigmary@...

On 8/23/2017 4:44 PM, Joyce VanAtta shesews4em@... [janome12000] wrote:

J

altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Laura Catto (Brayford)

I have found on my 12000 and would most likely apply to the 15000 that although I have my O foot attached then i use the 1/4" in the patchwork mode I need to move my needle position from default setting of 8.3 to up to 9.0. Only way I can get a decent 1/4". 

Laura 
Edmonton, AB
Canada

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 23, 2017, at 3:02 PM, JoAnn Novak vinjosew@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I so agree with you Darlene.  I have a hard time trying to get the 1/4", so decided whatever I do I will

be consistent.  So refreshing .

Hugs,  JoAnn

Life's biggest decision is what you do with Jesus.

You can also use the straight stitch foot with the needle in the center position and Utility or Quilt stitch #1.  You just have to use the edge of the foot or an added guide to judge your ¼”  I have a little magnet metal guide I place where I want if I do it that way.  If you use the dual feed foot the VD right edge is exactly ¼”.  So you can use it as a guide and run the fabric just slightly inside that edge.  If you use F foot, the inside of the right toe is ¼”..

Cas

Darlene