Topics

An update on The Update

Jim Stutsman

I've received clarification from our dealer, just back from Janome Institute, regarding the update. Here's what you need to know:

The needle threader update is to be installed by your dealer. At the time this is done your machine will be updated to the new machine software. Your dealer will also register the update with Janome. At the time this is done you will receive an email with details on getting and installing the Horizon Link Suite update. Janome intends for this update to be free, but that may not stop some dealers from charging for it. If that happens you should contact Janome for advice/assistance.

The quilting foot package is optional, but cannot be used without the machine update being installed first. In the US the price for this package is $149. Availability will be limited in the beginning, as is always the case for new accessories. The amount of Janome machines your dealer sells vs. other brands is a big factor. The dealers who set the most get product first, especially if they are Janome exclusive. Availability and pricing in other countries will vary, so check with your local dealer.

Each dealer in the US will receive as many updates as the number of 15000 machines they sold. In the beginning they will probably not receive all the updates at once, so you may have to wait. This is a time to be the "early bird". There will be questions regarding how to get the update if you bought your machine at a show hundreds or thousands of miles away, or bought it on Craigs List, eBay, door to door salesmen, or a man in a trench coat on a dark corner in Cleveland. In all cases your first point of contact is the dealer who sold you the machine, and they will probably contact you. Please be understanding with your dealer, as this update will cause a large influx of machines that could temporarily overwhelm their service department. Be patient, remembering that the love you have for your machine developed BEFORE this update, so it's worth the wait to love it even more!

Jennifer Vineyard

Thank you for the updates on the Updates to the 15000! I have been curious and there has been very little information.

Kind regards,
Jennifer

Sent from my iPad

Anne Parker

Jim

Many thanks for all the info regarding the update.

Would you be able to clarify something for me though.  My machine is packed for moving and will shortly be taken 200 miles away to my step-daiughter for storage.  We are moving to an area in a different part of the country about 250 miles away from where we live and 300 miles away from my daughter.  My current local dealer was given a percentage of the price I paid at a show for the machine several years ago in order to be registered as my local dealer - but of course when we move they will be 250 miles away and no longer my local dealer.

I'm sure there must be lots of other people with 15000s that have moved probably hundreds of miles away from their local dealer - so - in order to get the update they would need to go to a dealer that wasn't their original local one.  Are you saying that a new local dealer would not be able to install the update? And we would all need to travel to the orginal one.

I guess when it comes to it I have a machine that works fine, including the needle threader so I can just follow things up with my local dealer who will only be about 20 miles away - and I am in no rush for the update. :0)  If I get no joy I will contact Janome UK directly for their advice.

Thanks again for providing at least some clarification on these issues.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." Max Ehrmann

I can't really address how things work in the UK, because each country that Janome sells in has their own practices and customs. In the US, if you buy a machine at a show the local dealer gets nothing. This makes them at best dismissive and at worst openly hostile if/when the purchaser comes to their store seeking help or accessories. In a situation where the machine itself needs to have physical work done on it, this required parts will go to the selling dealer. Presumably a show purchaser could ship the machine to that dealer, though the "free" upgrade would incur substantial shipping fees. This is something Janome America will have to work through. Since Janome UK has a policy in place of sharing revenue from a show sale with the local dealer, I would assume they have thought about this. You may wish to contact them for advice.

Deb Keldrauk

Thanks once again Jim for clearing the mud - I am so glad that I resisted that guy in Cleveland aren't you?
My dealer reiterated all of the above when I was there this past Sat. Even better they said that Mary Carollo was going to come again for a free one-day workshop on all the apps and horizon link suite this coming Oct. she is GREAT!
Best, Deb in CA

Betty Scott

I believe the quilting foot package is £120 in the UK.

Betty

Claire Schutz

My dealer didn't know anything about it, maybe end of next week, Claire S.

On 8/21/2017 12:07 AM, Jen Vineyard vine2@... [janome12000] wrote:

Thank you for the updates on the Updates to the 15000! I have been curious and there has been very little information.

Kind regards,
Jennifer

Sent from my iPad

Virginia

Maybe your dealer did not go to Janome Institute?

royllsister@...

Thanks for the information Jim.

I just returned from my dealer and upon inquiring about the update for my 2 year old 15000, he looked at me a bit puzzled. I asked if they had attended Janome Institute yet (we are in Houston) and he said yes.

He then told me that the dealers would not receive anything from Janome until sometime in November, which surprised me. I then inquired about the $149 cost for the "kit" and he agreed with that. I then said I had heard from other dealers posting online to yahoo groups that the install/update must be done at the dealer and that would be at no cost to the customer. He looked at me a bit strange and said "well I don't know about that, ...who is going to pay our labor?"...

Puzzled here.

I asked if we could perhaps start a "waiting list" and he provided me with a form to fill out (I did so) and told me I was the FIRST person to come in and ask about this.  I did overhear a phone call while in the store and it was another 15000 owner inquiring about it also.

Judy B. in Houston

Ginger Benckert

Judy, call Janome. Every update that I ever got for my machine when the dealer put it in, Janome paid them. Now I don't have your 15000, I have an 11000 and have no intentions to update it or now even use it. I bought 2 Tajima machines and would just love to sell my 11000, since I won't be using it. Nothing is wrong with it, I just love the industrail ones and have plenty of other machines to use to sew.  But, if I was you, I'd call Janome about it

GINGER
WWW.STITCHEDINFAITH.COM

Custom embroidery and stock designs

On August 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM "royllsister@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

VLS

Judy
No charge does not always mean no labor fees.  It just means Janome will provide the parts.

Vicki

Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:03 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: An update on The Update

[...]

Vikki Youngmeyer

Just out of curiosity, which Houston dealership?

Vikki

Houston, TX

[...]

I believe that if your machine is fairly new I would contact Janome aboit tbe dealers response.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7.

[...]

JudyK B

Vicki,

I feel it would be in poor taste for me to name the dealer; I'm sure you understand.

Judy Biles
281-682-9111
jjbiles@...

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:47 PM, "fmjfrazier Fmjfrazier@... [janome12000]"

I agree.

On August 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM "royllsister@... [janome12000]" wrote:

[...]

I hope it’s not the one I work for.

Vikki

On August 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM "royllsister@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@yahoogroups..com> wrote:

[...]

Daisy Kutz

Just got a letter from dealer.
The only thing that is free is software update. You have to purchase needle threader and feet package?
Confusing.
Catherine

Sent from my iPad

Pam Davison

You should not have to pay for the needle threaded.  The additional feet come in a package that cost $149 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone