Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Deb Keldrauk

I complained of tension issues while FMQ a few weeks back and now I am trying out a in the hoop bag and am also finding tension issues in embroidery mode. I am using the yellow dot bobbin and have the tension all the way up to max and finally getting a passable stitch. I have never had these problems so I guess it's time for an adjustment. I hope I can wait for the BIG UPDATE, get a service at that time and come home with a "new machine".

All of the update talk really has me excited. I am a quilter and the new foot and plate sound like the answer to one of my problems. I have yet to find a sure fire, 1/4" piecing solution, with any foot and single hole plate combo. When I sew triangular or any piecing that starts at the tip (point) of the pieces if I am not careful things get jammed down into the machine. I have asked several times here if anyone has figured out how to use a 1/4" foot with the single hole plate and for some reason my question is always misunderstood.

My needle threader is not working AGAIN, after it's last adjustment it only worked for a few sewing sessions. So it's back to the handy manual threader. I tried to auto thread a 70/10 needle and that was all she wrote. I am SUPER ANXIOUS to know if its true that they have come up with an new threader that will come with the update so if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

Patricia Ward

​About that 1/4" seam.... what I do is use the zig zag plate and the O foot, move the needle over to the right until a test tells me I have the seam width I want and then I use a piece of fabric to lead my chain piecing into the foot...  on Fons and Porter they call them spiders.  That solves my problem.   
I even had the catch in the hole with my Bernina machine using the 1/4" foot and the single hole needleplate...  I think those points are just bound to get down into that hole because there isn't enough for the feed dogs to catch on to to take them through.  

Yes, I too am excited about the upgrades and new feet.  I want to get into this ruler quilting thing.  Can't wait until someone from my dealer in DE goes to institute and reports back.  

Pat in MD​

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 9:41 AM, newfilter@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I complained of tension issues while FMQ a few weeks back and now I am trying out a in the hoop bag and am also finding tension issues in embroidery mode. I am using the yellow dot bobbin and have the tension all the way up to max and finally getting a passable stitch. I have never had these problems so I guess it's time for an adjustment. I hope I can wait for the BIG UPDATE, get a service at that time and come home with a "new machine".

All of the update talk really has me excited. I am a quilter and the new foot and plate sound like the answer to one of my problems. I have yet to find a sure fire, 1/4" piecing solution, with any foot and single hole plate combo. When I sew triangular or any piecing that starts at the tip (point) of the pieces if I am not careful things get jammed down into the machine. I have asked several times here if anyone has figured out how to use a 1/4" foot with the single hole plate and for some reason my question is always misunderstood.

My needle threader is not working AGAIN, after it's last adjustment it only worked for a few sewing sessions. So it's back to the handy manual threader. I tried to auto thread a 70/10 needle and that was all she wrote. I am SUPER ANXIOUS to know if its true that they have come up with an new threader that will come with the update so if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

Virginia

Remember there has been no news of an update for the 12000.  Only an upgrade for the 15,000 and that has to be ordered and paid for from what I understand.

-----Original Message-----
To: janome12000 <janome12000@...>
Sent: Sat, Aug 12, 2017 9:55 am
Subject: [janome12000] Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

cas <cassweet@...>

I use the single hole straight stitch plate with the app for patchwork and set the width to 9 which sews an exact ¼”.  I use the O foot which has a ¼” guide on it.   I would prefer a scant ¼” though.  I’m waiting to hear how others like the new plate and settings.

If you want to use the straight stitch plate in the center you can add a cloth guide after you measure where the scant ¼” is.  I use a magnetic one or an adhesive one, depending on what I’m sewing.  I find if I line the fabric up right inside the opening of the F foot it’s ¼”. 

I’ve seen others complain about tension issues and have had tension issues myself, but being new to sewing I don’t know if it’s just me.  A friend said her dealer told her it’s a known issue and many 15000s go in to get the tension mechanism replaced. 

Happily, my needle threader is still working.  I had to take it back several times and the last time he swapped the whole mechanism. It would be nice if they came up with a new one, maybe a mechanical one, since this automatic one is thrown off so easily.

Cas

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:41 AM
To: janome12000@...
Subject: [janome12000] Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

The single hole needle plate locks the needle position so the only way to get any variation in seam width is to use a foot with an adjustable guide. The Janome Edge Guide Foot SE is one option. Other things that can help  with piecing when starting a seam at the point of a triangle is to spray your fabric with sizing, use a starter scrap of fabric, use 50 wt thread, use an embroidery needle, and a small size needle, e.g. 11. I've had the most success just using a starter scrap to avoid feed dogs gobbling fabric.
If you're really having trouble getting a scant 1/4" seam with your zig zag plate and foot, you might want to check to see if the needle drop position needs adjusting by your dealer. You can verify if it's correct if the needle drops into the center hole on the zipper foot when it's at 4.5 position.
Jan

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I'm very lucky my needle threader works well. I have to leave a little tail after passing the thread through the cutter or it doesn't catch, but only about an inch. If the tail is too long, the thread loops around the screw, and sometimes I accidentally unthread the needle. The one on the S9 is great; kind of a combination of the 12000 and 15000. I haven't tried it since the dealer replaced it. I should do that. As much as I love the 15000, I'll sure be glad when it's paid for! Twenty four months was a little steep for me, but far better than credit card financing. I guess that's how he keeps his prices low. Trading the 12000 for the S9 was the best way to go for me. Private sales can be messy, and as they say "time is money". I can't imagine ever needing another machine, but I would definitely trade in again if I did; no haggling, no buyers backing out and no pay pal fees 🙂 Sue Raabe

Sent from my iPhone

Linda <lindamrobertson7@...>

Great information, thanks  for sharing..

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2017, at 9:39 AM, blue_lak <no_reply@...> wrote:

The single hole needle plate locks the needle position so the only way to get any variation in seam width is to use a foot with an adjustable guide. The Janome Edge Guide Foot SE is one option. Other things that can help  with piecing when starting a seam at the point of a triangle is to spray your fabric with sizing, use a starter scrap of fabric, use 50 wt thread, use an embroidery needle, and a small size needle, e.g. 11. I've had the most success just using a starter scrap to avoid feed dogs gobbling fabric.
If you're really having trouble getting a scant 1/4" seam with your zig zag plate and foot, you might want to check to see if the needle drop position needs adjusting by your dealer. You can verify if it's correct if the needle drops into the center hole on the zipper foot when it's at 4.5 position.
Jan

Deb Keldrauk

Thanks Jan this is all great info - I do use a leader, I just cut binding scraps into squares and keep them beside the machine. When I chain piece the "gobbling up" is not as big a problem. I have checked the needle drop and all is well. The foot I use is the clear view 1/4" foot sometimes I use the screw on guide, sometimes I don't, I like to see where the fabric is under the foot. I program one of my straight stitches like #4 which I never use to exactly a 1/4" seam and my desired stitch length and then when I piece I just hit 4 and go. As I say it's mostly with pieces where you begin at the point that it's a problem, so for those I always start with a fresh needle usually a smaller one maybe a 70 (which the threader won't even touch). As you see I have adapted but I have always thought if I could easily have a single hole throat plate, foot combo that is great for piecing I'd be happy. Maybe this new HP plate combo is my answer I will check it out. Thanks to all who have responded on my thread.

J Fraker

I use heavy spray starch on all my fabric before cutting out quilt pieces.  I dislike having to bother with a leader and the starch nearly eliminates that problem.  It also makes for more accurate piecing.

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:40 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Thanks Jan this is all great info - I do use a leader, I just cut binding scraps into squares and keep them beside the machine. When I chain piece the "gobbling up" is not as big a problem. I have checked the needle drop and all is well. The foot I use is the clear view 1/4" foot sometimes I use the screw on guide, sometimes I don't, I like to see where the fabric is under the foot. I program one of my straight stitches like #4 which I never use to exactly a 1/4" seam and my desired stitch length and then when I piece I just hit 4 and go. As I say it's mostly with pieces where you begin at the point that it's a problem, so for those I always start with a fresh needle usually a smaller one maybe a 70 (which the threader won't even touch). As you see I have adapted but I have always thought if I could easily have a single hole throat plate, foot combo that is great for piecing I'd be happy. Maybe this new HP plate combo is my answer I will check it out. Thanks to all who have responded on my thread.

Debbie

Would you please share what spray starch you use/prefer?  Thank you for the help

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

I use heavy spray starch on all my fabric before cutting out quilt pieces.  I dislike having to bother with a leader and the starch nearly eliminates that problem.  It also makes for more accurate piecing.

Subject: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Vikki Youngmeyer

I use Mary Ellen’s Best Press – Caribbean scent.

Vikki

Houston,TX

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Would you please share what spray starch you use/prefer?  Thank you for the help

Subject: Re: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Virus-free. www.avg.com

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

FWIW, I only use "sizing", never "starch", and only from a spray bottle, never aerosol. Why?
Starch can scorch at high iron temps.
Starch saturates fibers making fabric easier to distort when pressing, where sizing generally does not unless you spray too much.
Starch leaves plant particulates (corn, rice, etc.) in the fabric that have to be washed out or it will draw insects and leave odors over time. In other words, you'd want to wash the finished quilt soon after completion.
Starch can sometimes actually make it harder for the needle to penetrate.
Sizing is the finish that fabric mills and dry cleaners use to give fabric body, stability, and protection without stiffness.
Aerosols are harder to control the spray pattern and do contain nasty aerosol chemicals that you really don't want indoors. 
I've tried several different brands of sizing and think they all give pretty much the same result. Buying by the gallon and refilling the original 8 oz bottle is the lowest cost. Note: starch can clog spray bottle nozzles, whereas sizing does not.
Jan

Cheryl Paul

Hi,

I got a text from one of my local dealers yesterday. She was so excited to tell me that Janome says the new needle threader that they have spent 4 years on correcting the problem. When asked, “ Does it work100% of the time”. They replied, “Not just 100 but, 110%.” Awesome, I’m so excited, as she told me it was FREE as well. Now, some dealers may charge but she is choosing to not charge her customers. She’s included me, even though I bought my machine from a dealer that is closer to my house. This lady has sold me a few machines now and I’ll buy from her in the future - she “rocks”, and she has fabric too.

Cheryl - Saskaoon

J Fraker

I use Faultless Heavy Starch that you can find at any store.  I should think any kind would work, though.  The key is using enough and ironing well.  When the fabric is starched, it becomes almost like sewing pieces of paper together.  You don't want to overdo it, of course.  You wouldn't want ten layers of spray starch or anything like that.  I find that just one good spray with the heavy starch works fine.  I put a towel over my ironing board, spray the fabric, turn it over and iron it mostly dry on the wrong side, then flip it back to the right side and pass the iron over that. Then you are ready to cut out your pieces.

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] Re: Tension and Excitement about Update hope for threader

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Debbie

Thank you Vikki

Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:25 AM

I use Mary Ellen’s Best Press – Caribbean scent.

Vikki

Houston,TX

Debbie

Thank you Jan for that very useful information.

From: janome12000@... [mailto:janome12000@...] On Behalf Of blue_lak
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:15 AM

FWIW, I only use "sizing", never "starch", and only from a spray bottle, never aerosol. Why?
Starch can scorch at high iron temps.
Starch saturates fibers making fabric easier to distort when pressing, where sizing generally does not unless you spray too much.
Starch leaves plant particulates (corn, rice, etc.) in the fabric that have to be washed out or it will draw insects and leave odors over time. In other words, you'd want to wash the finished quilt soon after completion.
Starch can sometimes actually make it harder for the needle to penetrate.
Sizing is the finish that fabric mills and dry cleaners use to give fabric body, stability, and protection without stiffness.
Aerosols are harder to control the spray pattern and do contain nasty aerosol chemicals that you really don't want indoors. 
I've tried several different brands of sizing and think they all give pretty much the same result. Buying by the gallon and refilling the original 8 oz bottle is the lowest cost. Note: starch can clog spray bottle nozzles, whereas sizing does not.
Jan

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Narda Poulin

This new needle threader. ... is it for the Janome 15000 .. can the old one be replaced with this new one .... mine broke 2 weeks after I bought the machine

Sent from my iPad