S9 Embroidery issues

Toni Valenstein

I did a practice embroidery and the white bobbin thread is pulling up and showing on the top.  I brought the machine back to the dealer (again).  I was told it was because I was not using embroidery bobbin thread.  I was using a regular (thin) bobbin thread.  I bought a package of the Janome pre-wound embroidery bobbin thread.  Went back to try it again and still had the same results.  I tried changing the stabilizer.  I tried changing the plate. When I tried using the embroidery bobbin holder, it sucked all the embroidery thread into the machine.  I'm using a good brand embroidery thread.  Don't know what else to do except throw the machine through the window (only kidding).  My settings for tension, etc. was checked by the dealer.

I'm so upset with this machine!  Any answers???

Bobbin thread pull-up can happen if you put the bobbin in backward. As you sew it will pull out of the bobbin tension. Look at the plastic bobbin cover and make sure you put it in as shown. The pulling of embroidery thread into the machine is almost certainly due to either not having the thread in the take-up lever, or not using the LOCK function while threading.

Toni Valenstein

I followed your instructional EXACTLY, even using the LOCK function while threading.  The lower one was done yesterday, the upper is the one I did after following your instructions.  No difference!

Since it's not consistent I don't think it's a tension issue. I have not yet seen an S9 so I don't know much about the details. If it has a plastic embroidery foot take it off and look at the opening under a magnifying glass. A nick in the foot will grab the thread and cause this type of problem. Also look carefully at both bobbin cases, again for a nick or scratch. Inspect the hole in the needle plate for rough edges. A needle strike can cause this. Also take out the bobbin case you are using and look in the area where the thread goes when you thread it. A small ball of lint between the spring and the thread path will alter the bobbin tension and cause this. Is your thread on a small spool? Using the large spool cap with small spools can cause problems, as the thread gets too much pull going around the cap. Likewise using the small cap with a large spool can cause trouble, especially if there is a burr or sticky label on top of the spool. If all else fails take the fabric, threads, and stabilizer to your dealer and ask them to test it.

Toni Valenstein

I'll be there tomorrow at 9, when they open.  It is a metal foot.  The bobbin case was inspected in the store when I brought it in on Fri.  The emb. thread spool is cone shaped, and I'm not using any cap.  Will get back to you to let you know what they find.

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

This question is about the 15000, but could apply to any machine.  The white part underneath  the removable bobbin case appears to have a couple of deep scratches.  I'm not having any problems, but was wondering if I should have them taken care of.  The machine is so heavy, I dread taking it to the dealer.  99% of my problems are from putting the bobbin case back in right, but it needs cleaning underneath!  Thanks.  Sue Raabe

That white plastic piece does get a lot of wear and tear, especially if a needle breaks or isn't in the holder tightly. It will affect stitch quality if it's damaged. I used to routinely change those during tune-ups and I ordered 25 at a time. However many dealers don't do anything with it. Before taking it in to your dealer call and make sure it's in stock. No use waiting for a couple of weeks for it to be ordered! The part number is 627191000 and it's called the "Hook race bottom plate". I know it fits the 15000, as I've replaced ours. In fact it fits pretty much all of the Janome top-load machines. This is an inexpensive part and can be replaced quickly.

Ceil J

Jim,
For those of us that live a distance from our dealer's, is it a "self replace"?
Thanks,
Ceil

No, I'm sure it will not be something you can do yourself. My best guess is that it will involve replacing the needle plate sensor so that the machine can detect the HD plate. There may be other changes as well.

Ceil J

Jim,
Thanks, I know we can't do the new sensor update for the 15000.  I was replying to the post about the white bobbin cover.  Is that something we can do?
Ceil

I've not been able to find any post referring to a white bobbin cover. Are you referring to the Quilt Maker Accessory Upgrade Kit? The photo of the HP needle plate has a white thread guide to the left of the bobbin cover. This kit will require the machine to be updated because of the sensor for the plate. If that's not what you are referring to, can you provide a link?

Ceil J

Jim, so sorry.  It seems my brain is getting as dull as a used pencil.  I was responding to your reply to someone:
That white plastic piece does get a lot of wear and tear, especially if a needle breaks or isn't in the holder tightly. It will affect stitch quality if it's damaged. I used to routinely change those during tune-ups and I ordered 25 at a time. However many dealers don't do anything with it. Before taking it in to your dealer call and make sure it's in stock. No use waiting for a couple of weeks for it to be ordered! The part number is 627191000 and it's called the "Hook race bottom plate". I know it fits the 15000, as I've replaced ours. In fact it fits pretty much all of the Janome top-load machines. This is an inexpensive part and can be replaced quickly.

[Following up]
This piece is user-replaceable, though patience is required. It's held in place with a single very small Phillips screw AND some glue. Remove the screw, then break it loose from the small amount of glue that's in there. The piece is a little challenging to remove, as it appears to be too big to fit through the top of the hook race. Since you are discarding it you can bend, twist, or pry as needed, though you should be VERY careful not to scratch the hook race itself. The new one is also a little tricky. Just line up the part that sticks out with the wide opening in the hook race, then tip it up, slide in, push down. It's best to be somewhat gentle as you don't want to damage it going in. Then line up the screw hole and put in the screw. The screw is sufficient to hold it, so no glue is needed. I think they may use the glue only to hold it in place during manufacturing. Note that the screw is small and very easy to drop down into the machine, so use caution!

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Thanks!  I also need to check on the 15000 manual, which he ordered for me in June.  When I picked up the replacement S9 in July, it wasn't in yet.   I've een using the online version, but for me, book form is much easier.  I could have it printed locally, and put it in abinder, but it's just one more thing to do.  I'd rather sew!  Sue Raabe

Ceil J

Thanks, Jim.  Seems that part is available online.  I'd only tackle this if it's winter and the machine won't run well without the replacement.  I'll try to be clearer with my questions in the future.
Ceil

Toni Valenstein

Actually, the online vs. is better.  It can be d/l to iBooks on an iPad.  It is then searchable, you don’t need to thumb thru a table of contents to search for what your looking for.

Toni VALENSTEIN
Hilton Head, SC

Toni Valenstein

I know that I need to use the water soluble stabilizer on anything with a nap, but I was embroidering on plain cotton, and my dealer said that I must use it with ANY type of fabric!

Toni VALENSTEIN
Hilton Head, SC

Sounds like your dealer likes to sell lots of water soluble stabilizer!

JoAnn Novak

  I disagree with your dealer.      JoAnn