janome quilt topper

Gail

Ok, I just got my Janome Quilt Topper and had expected some instructions with it.  Not even a picture of it in use.  Do I just put it on the hoop and put the magnets like I did with the original?

Gail in FL

Gladys Miller

Janome falls short when it comes to instructions!  Something they need to improve.  I got a new Skyline S9 and I am just bumbling along!

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:28 AM, gail_menard@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Ok, I just got my Janome Quilt Topper and had expected some instructions with it.  Not even a picture of it in use.  Do I just put it on the hoop and put the magnets like I did with the original?

Gail in FL

Pixey

You lay it on the Quilt in line with the hoop and then use the magnets in the topper slots in the same locations that you used the Janome magnets.  I attended a DIME workshop this past weekend at my dealers and got one at a good discount and they showed me how it works.  So I thought it was worth trying.

Also, I learned that they are coming out with some magnetic SNAP Monster hoops for the Janome 500e.  However, I saw one on the demo machine and was NOT impressed with how they designed their latch mechanism to attach it to the machine.  It is all plastic with a twist latch that locks it onto the pins.  It  looked to me to be a really weak part in the overall design. I think it would vibrate loose in time and not hold securely for long term use.

Pixey

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 31, 2017, at 12:28 PM, gail_menard@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Ok, I just got my Janome Quilt Topper and had expected some instructions with it.  Not even a picture of it in use.  Do I just put it on the hoop and put the magnets like I did with the original?

Gail in FL

Jill Kenyon <jpkenyon@...>

Gail, are you talking about th Acufil?  If so, you float your quilt sandwich on top of the hoop and use the magnets to hold it in place.  If you're talking about the DIME products I have no clue.  I really like the Acufil.
--
 Write your sorrows in sand . . . .  your blessings in stone.

Kaye Lessard

This is not made by Janome
It is made by dime!!
Kaye in la

Sent from my iPhone

audrey chase <Contessa@...>

What’s a Quilt topper please?

Anne Parker

I'd not heard of it before but the Janome Quilt Topper is not made by Janome - it is made by DIME - so you could contact them via their website and ask for instructions.

I'm curious to know why you need this as it looks exactly the same as the original inner hoop from Janome that came with my machine?  Does it do something different?  Is it just that the magnets are stronger?

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." Max Ehrmann

Cat - N

It is an 'alternative clamp' system for Janome's Acufil hoops consisting of a thin frame that lays on top of the quilt which is positioned for quilting on certain Janome Acufil hoops, and small but strong magnets to secure the topper to the hoop and hold the quilt in place during ITH quilting. The white Janome magnetic clamps are not used on the ASQ hoops with the DIME topper.

‎The 'topper' is made by Designs In Machine Embroidery (DIME) and for Janome 15000, and 11000, Acufil hoops ASQ22 and the 5x7 (11000 SE /11000 v.2 update) ...I have not seen any mention of a DIME hoop topper for the 11000/11000 SE v.3 Professional Quilting 7x7 Acufil hoop.

A search should easily find information and points of sale.

- Cat

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10.
You just put the plastic piece on top of the hoop (with the quilt in between of course) and use the magnets that came with the DIME hoop.  Stick them in the slots.  I have one, but don't like it.  Because the quilt is too far above the bed of the machine, the quilt itself vibrates and can cause some distortion of the quilting design, especially around the edges.  It's a good idea, but a poor design.

Gail, are you talking about th Acufil?  If so, you float your quilt sandwich on top of the hoop and use the magnets to hold it in place.  If you're talking about the DIME products I have no clue.  I really like the Acufil.
--
 Write your sorrows in sand . . . .  your blessings in stone.

J Fraker

It is different because it lays on top of the ASQ hoop.  The idea is that you can reposition the quilt without removing the hoop.  The problem is that the quilt stays on top of the hoop instead of being pushed down into it, so it doesn't work well.  It is okay for designs that don't get near the outer edges of the stitching field, but I found that for large designs, they sometimes distort a little around the outer edges.

I'd not heard of it before but the Janome Quilt Topper is not made by Janome - it is made by DIME - so you could contact them via their website and ask for instructions.

I'm curious to know why you need this as it looks exactly the same as the original inner hoop from Janome that came with my machine?  Does it do something different?  Is it just that the magnets are stronger?

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." Max Ehrmann

Cheryl Paul

I have to clarify something that I think is being missed in this whole thread for the DIME topper and the Janome’s Acufill hoop system. It is NOT because the magnets are not strong enough to hold things in the hoop but because they aren’t able to stay clipped in place because the thickness of the quilt sandwich. I didn’t have as much problem with an ordinary quilt as I did with the baby quilt I made that I put “cuddle” fabric as the backing, a regular cotton batting as the filler and a quilt that had a number of seams that the magnets just didn’t stay on the quilt. I think that they could have been very strong magnets and they still wouldn’t have held because of the thickness and that the “clothes peg” clamp just didn’t have enough space to stay clamped on to the hoop. I had them well and truly clamped on and the ones that popped made drove me mad, but I still had to wrangle the others off as they were magnetized to their location on the quilt.

I just think that there needs to be a better clamp for those hoops, or perhaps 2 sets - maybe a clothes peg type. However, we’d have to convince our Janome Educators that this is a problem as they are our resource ticket to the Janome Company. They use these products in their sampling and obviously just don’t run into the same problems that we “home users” do. Our Canadian lead educator sews LOTS on a daily basis and she has never mentioned having this problem and I did tell her about mine.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

J Fraker

Get yourself four medium size binder clips, clip the quilt onto the hoop between the magnets.  That will help hold everything in place and keep the magnets from popping off.

[...]

Re - Magnetic Clips popping off

Thank you, I knew someone would have a good solution to this problem. Those clips seem like a very good answer to this problem. I still hope that Janome does a fix though.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Ceil J

I've seen part of an update to the 15000 (coming soon) which features a redesigned quilting foot.  Not sure why or if it will mean a new hoop too.  I didn't think to ask if it meant a new hoop.  Supposed to come out this month. Whatever it is, it might require a trip to the dealer.... can anyone else add to this?

Nyssa Lanzafame

Does anyone know of a good video of this DIME quilt topper? I am wondering how it is any better than using the magnets that come with the AQS hoop? it first i was thinking that it was because you don't have to put on magnets individually, so saving time, but it sounds like you still do that...

favymtz

You can look at my photos that I posted in the group in my album.
I show there why the Quilt Topper is a good alternative to the magnets that come with the the Acufil Hoop, it requires less fabric.
I did purchase extra magnets from DIME.
Favymtz

Ceil J

Please explain how you were able to purchase extra magnets.  I searched and searched and was unable to find out how to get them.  There are others in the FB virtual group who would love to know too.
Thanks.
Ceil

Nyssa Lanzafame

@favymtz thank you for sharing your photos and letting me know they were there.  do you have any issue with the quilt sitting top high of the be dog the machine? dow you use it much?

Carole O'Mara

I’m not finding your album and photos.  I don’t understand about the quilt topper being a good alternative to the magnets.  Please tell me how to find them on the site.  Thank you.
Carole

On Feb 11, 2019, at 5:39 PM, favymtz <favymtz@...> wrote:

You can look at my photos that I posted in the group in my album.
I show there why the Quilt Topper is a good alternative to the magnets that come with the the Acufil Hoop, it requires less fabric.
I did purchase extra magnets from DIME.
Favymtz

Nyssa Lanzafame

i had to scroll through. but i believe that you can search, it is not her full ‘name’, just “favy"