Wash Away Stabilizer

Cas <cas@...>

A friend says she uses Romeo wash away when embroidering FSL inserts for her tops.  She’s in Europe though, and I don’t see it for sale here.

I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good stabilizer to use that will wash away easily and entirely.  I have really sensitive skin so I’m wondering if I can even wear a FSL insert.  Any suggestions?

I would appreciate any marvelous tips for the FSL too.  I did a butterfly for a quilt but it was quite dense.  This might be a more flimsy design.

Cas

Connie <Conartist1945@...>

I do hundreds of followers and I use vilene. (2 layers) you can get it at Amazon
Connie from Mass

Sent from my iPad

  ;

I would appreciate any marvelous tips for the FSL too.  I did a butterfly for a quilt but it was quite dense.  This might be a more flimsy design.

Cas

Patricia Ward

Over the years I have used Solvy, dissolving laundry bags ( circa 9000),  Badgemaster, and Vilene.

Badgemaster is a heavier Solvy -it is almost the thickness of a window covering plastic.   It works well for some things...  BUT it does have an element of stretch to it if your design is small compared to the hoop size.   For example; I was doing a Starbird FSL hummingbird sun catcher and each time I got to one area of the final satin stitch around it, my stitching would start to stall and loop. I was using my 15000 and the standard hoop with one layer of Badgemaster.   I was so sure it was the design so I tried it on my 11000 in the 4x4 hoop and it stitched perfectly.   So off I went with my 15000 and the Badgemaster, the design, the thread, the hoop to talk to my techie.  Well he was having the same problem but didn't think it was the tension because it was only that one area... well lo and behold we looked very carefully at the design as it was almost finished and we could see where that almost finished section was pulling on the stabilizer and that was throwing off the stitching.   So he suggested I use two layers if I wanted to use that hoop... or better yet, use two layers of Vilene because it wouldn't stretch.

So lesson learned that Badgemaster the heavier Solvy will stretch when pulled by a column of satin stitches.

I have used Vilene many times and I really do like it.  It is also called washaway stabilizer by, I think Floriani and Nancy's Notions as well as OESD.  I will hunt around to get the best price for the yardage length and the width of the roll.  It all will dissolve the same way.

Do a search on line for washaway stabilizer and you will get many hits... then price shop. In my experiences it is all the same stuff.

HTH

Pat

On Jul 17, 2017, at 1:06 PM, 'Cas' cas@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

A friend says she uses Romeo wash away when embroidering FSL inserts for her tops.  She’s in Europe though, and I don’t see it for sale here.

I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good stabilizer to use that will wash away easily and entirely.  I have really sensitive skin so I’m wondering if I can even wear a FSL insert.  Any suggestions?

  ;

I would appreciate any marvelous tips for the FSL too.  I did a butterfly for a quilt but it was quite dense.  This might be a more flimsy design.

Cas

Mary A Rease <bigmary@...>

Join the yahoo group anembroideredaffair. There you can buy just about anything cheaper than anywhere else. Carolyn also charges EXACTLY what it costs for her to send it to you.

Mary A Rease bigmary@...

On 7/18/2017 9:47 AM, Connie Conartist1945@... [janome12000] wrote:

I do hundreds of followers and I use vilene. (2 layers) you can get it at Amazon
Connie from Mass

Sent from my iPad

Maria Morrow <mariamorrowquilter@...>

I just started quilting and embroidery at age 54....I feel there is so much to learn, I don't have enough time. BUT, if it can be, THIS group will help get me there.

😘😘thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2017, at 2:32 PM, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

For years now I have used nothing by Vilene type water soluble, especially for FSL!! Often only one layer is needed. I sometimes add a second smaller piece if I think the design may be too heavy in certain spots.

The least expensive place I have found to purchase is from Carolyn at AnEmbroideredAffair Yahoo Group. She is normally the least expensive and I love the fact that she only charges exactly what it costs her to ship the item to you.

Mary A Rease bigmary@...

On 7/18/2017 3:32 PM, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Linda <lindamrobertson7@...>

Thank you for sharing !!!!

[...]

Thanks for all the info Pat, Mary and Maria.

Cas

Lucy Akers

I buy it by the bolt at Joann's

Claire Schutz

Anembroideredaffair.com sells this by the yard-59"wide, great rates and service.  She sells other types of stabilizers as well, has a Yahoo group, designs, etc. etc.  Worth checking into, Claire S.

On 7/18/2017 2:32 PM, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Would recommend the magazine Creative Embroidery for help, Claire S.

On 7/18/2017 4:15 PM, Maria Morrow mariamorrowquilter@... [janome12000] wrote:

[...]

Is there a product number / brand you would share?

I also need a good stabilizer for t-shirt and knit fabrics.

I'm going to make a QAUG out of my grandsons old clothes - t-shirts, cotton, denim, jeans.     It will be s crazy/scrappy quit.    Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 19, 2017, at 3:04 PM, akerslucy@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I buy it by the bolt at Joann's