From: janome12000@... [mailto:janome12000@...]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2017 3:18 PM
To: janome12000@...
Subject: [janome12000] Fabric quilt issue

Hello. First let me thank all for the generosity in sharing information. No one has "spare" time in this life--we all have 24 hours a day with which to live and give.

I just pieced a baby quilt with fabric that was 75% off at Joann. I have been buying off Etsy, which I know carries the better brands (Moda, etc). Some of the Joann fabrics are definitely lower grade, particularly the solids; but I hate to waste the work. I didn't realize this until I asked a fellow guild member and she told me. I am new to quilting but as I was piecing it, I could tell it didn't go together and feel as solid as the few others I've done with Moda fabrics

Here is the question. Could I (should I) reinforce the back of the top with a solid piece of white fabric before the batting? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maria Morrow

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

IMHO, you have two potential problems: 1) color runs or rapid fading through multiple washings, and 2) bearding of the batting.

Number 2 can be addressed with a good quality low loft batting, such as Quilter's Dream Cotton Request, and a good all-over quilting such as stippling. If you're confident of your seam quality and thread, the all-over quilting will stabilize it. Sewing the top to a base fabric will make it heavier and a bit stiffer feeling.

Number 1 is the bigger problem. You can use Dye Grabbers and cold water to wash the quilt before giving, but you have no control over how much or little it will fade after multiple washes that baby quilts often get.
That said, if it's not an heirloom-type quilt or one expected to be handed down to later siblings, but actually used until it falls apart, the fading will add to it's charm of being well-loved.

Jan in MD

Vikki Youngmeyer

If you add additional fabric it will increase the weight. If that isn’t an issue I would recommend following the procedure you mentioned. In the past I have encountered “not so great fabrics” and I have reinforced seams by ironing steam a seam strips and ironing strips of fabric over the seams before quilting. I quilt charity quilts for a local group and many of their seams are lacking, so I fix the seams as needed before quilting.

In future, work with the best fabric you can afford. Support a Local Quilt Shop in your area if there is one. People buy online or at JoAnns or Walmart, but the consistency isn’t there. Sometimes you luck out, but more times than not you are disappointed in the fabrics once they go into the quilt. Why waste your time on mediocrity?  It’s one thing to work with charity quilts where the quilt is made and only needs to be quilted. However, when starting from scratch and making a quilt for someone, use the best you can.

Vikki

Hello. First let me thank all for the generosity in sharing information. No one has "spare" time in this life--we all have 24 hours a day with which to live and give.

I just pieced a baby quilt with fabric that was 75% off at Joann. I have been buying off Etsy, which I know carries the better brands (Moda, etc). Some of the Joann fabrics are definitely lower grade, particularly the solids; but I hate to waste the work. I didn't realize this until I asked a fellow guild member and she told me. I am new to quilting but as I was piecing it, I could tell it didn't go together and feel as solid as the few others I've done with Moda fabrics

Here is the question. Could I (should I) reinforce the back of the top with a solid piece of white fabric before the batting? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maria Morrow

Mary E

I work at Joann's and you are right about the quality. It's not terrible by any means but not awesome either. We do carry Kona solids which are pretty good. It wouldn't hurt to reinforce the back with some lightweight cotton if you are worried about the quality.
Mary

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017, Maria Morrow margormor@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Hello. First let me thank all for the generosity in sharing information. No one has "spare" time in this life--we all have 24 hours a day with which to live and give.

I just pieced a baby quilt with fabric that was 75% off at Joann. I have been buying off Etsy, which I know carries the better brands (Moda, etc). Some of the Joann fabrics are definitely lower grade, particularly the solids; but I hate to waste the work. I didn't realize this until I asked a fellow guild member and she told me. I am new to quilting but as I was piecing it, I could tell it didn't go together and feel as solid as the few others I've done with Moda fabrics

Here is the question. Could I (should I) reinforce the back of the top with a solid piece of white fabric before the batting? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maria Morrow

Maria Morrow <margormor@...>

Thank ALL for great replies and very useful information. I really appreciate it.

Lesson learned.  The funny part is that I started quilting last year...almost.   I was still working full time but in great anticipation of my husband finding the new job (which he did) and my getting to quit work (which I have). So for the last 10 months, I have been buying fabric off Etsy to the tune of about six large tubs full, like a squirrel burying nuts. After selling the house and moving, finally I can sew!  So I went to Joann for batting and have no idea why I bought this cheap fabric!  Live and learn.

Thank you again. I will try to save this quilt with all your good advice!

Patricia Ward

Hi Maria,
From what I have heard is that you don't have to worry about any stretch as much as fading.  There is a definite fade factor with fabrics from Joann or Walmart.
We had someone lecture on fabrics at the quilt guild and she was telling us that often if you get fabrics at Joann or Walmart you may think you are getting a good fabric by name; however, most times these are the test prints for colors and are not the final print of colors that is sold to the quilt shops.  She had a beautiful quilt that had all been made from Walmart fabrics and then she showed the original fabric scraps that had been kept in the dark... there was significant fade even though the quilt was not in sunlight.

Since this is a baby quilt, it may get a lot of laundering so it may fade.  But I don't think there will be stretching.

After all that work, I know it is heartbreaking. Sorry.

Pat

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Maria Morrow margormor@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Hello. First let me thank all for the generosity in sharing information. No one has "spare" time in this life--we all have 24 hours a day with which to live and give.

I just pieced a baby quilt with fabric that was 75% off at Joann. I have been buying off Etsy, which I know carries the better brands (Moda, etc).  Some of the Joann fabrics are definitely lower grade, particularly the solids; but I hate to waste the work. I didn't realize this until I asked a fellow guild member and she told me. I am new to quilting but as I was piecing it, I could tell it didn't go together and feel as solid as the few others I've done with Moda fabrics

Here is the question. Could I (should I) reinforce the back of the top with a solid piece of white fabric before the batting?  Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Maria Morrow

Connie

Its just my opinion, but the big JA fabric chain store is selling very inferior quality  of fabric, especially the fat quarters. The last one I bought I could actually read text thru the open weave of fibers.

I will not waste my time sewing/ quilting with their fabric.

Connie S.

On May 3, 2017 at 12:31 AM "Maria Morrow margormor@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

Thank ALL for great replies and very useful information. I really appreciate it.

Lesson learned.  The funny part is that I started quilting last year...almost.   I was still working full time but in great anticipation of my husband finding the new job (which he did) and my getting to quit work (which I have). So for the last 10 months, I have been buying fabric off Etsy to the tune of about six large tubs full, like a squirrel burying nuts. After selling the house and moving, finally I can sew!  So I went to Joann for batting and have no idea why I bought this cheap fabric!  Live and learn.

Thank you again. I will try to save this quilt with all your good advice!

Mary E

That is why they can sell them so cheaply. We always have sales and the average price after sale is less than $4 per yard. When I'm purchasing good fabric for quilts I expect to pay about 7-10$ per yard.
Mary

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017, Patricia Ward ward.pm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Hi Maria,
From what I have heard is that you don't have to worry about any stretch as much as fading.  There is a definite fade factor with fabrics from Joann or Walmart.
[...]

JoAnn Novak

  I agree the fabric is nothing to crow about.

  We have a sewing machine store in Racine, the wife sells fabric in one half and the husband sells machines.

   Her fabric is very nice but not cheap.  I do buy from her.  They also have many classes.  A great store.

   Called Sew N Save.

   JoAnn

I work at Joann's and you are right about the quality. It's not terrible by any means but not awesome either. We do carry Kona solids which are pretty good. It wouldn't hurt to reinforce the back with some lightweight cotton if you are worried about the quality.

Mary

Cas <cas@...>

I agree, especially when you figure in your labor costs.  If I like a quilt enough to make it, I want it to last.  I want it to be fun to work with the cloth too.  I don’t want to fight to have to try and make it cooperate.  I made a huge King size bedspread out of BOMs that took over two years to make.  By the end I knew all about the difference in fabric and some of the first blocks I made were already discolored, some of them were raveling and coming apart at the seams after they were sewn into the bedspread.  I bet if I posted a pic you could pick out the cheap fabric from the good.  You can see the batting through some of it even though it IS doubled up!  I should have just thrown the fabric away!  Now, I will only use some cheap fabric I had bought by mistake for backing, if it won’t be washed often or seen, as in a wall hanging.  Luckily, I’ve used up all of the “bad” stuff.

Btw Joann’s will let you return fabric as long as you haven’t washed or cut it.

I joined a surprise quilt box that comes in the mail and I’ve noticed some of the fabric they send is that inferior quality, but I have kept getting the boxes because I sometimes like the little tools they include.  I kept thinking “maybe next month it will be better”.  It seems they keep sending the same fabric line cut in different shapes and sizes too.  LOL.  I think I’ll quit getting the boxes, and keep going to my local quilt store.  The only thing I liked about it was it was forcing me to think out of the box, as in wondering what I’ll do with this “ugly” fabric.

Cas

[...]

Roberta K

Maria:

The first thing I can think of would be a lightweight interfacing. You can use the fusible type and it will definitely add body to your fabric.

Roberta in FL