Travel machine ( mostly for patchwork sessions)?

vestacheatham@...

I want a second Janome to take to guild when we're doing patchwork.  BUT I also want something that sews straight seams as much like my 15000 as possible so it's not a hugh shock when I move back and forth between the two.  I've looked at the 6600, 8200, 9400 (can't afford!)........OPINIONS......SUGGESTIONS?

Vesta

pb9046@...

QC4120.  Super light with all the bells and whistles.  I love mine!  Peg

Liz Borgman

My sewing friends have an S7 uses the same feet as your 15000, also has many of the same features as the 15000. Check this one out before you decide

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2017, at 3:26 PM, pb9046@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

QC4120.  Super light with all the bells and whistles.  I love mine!  Peg

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

Look at the Skyline "S7," if it fits in your budget. Lighter weight, more compact than the 15000 or 12000, but the onscreen menu is much the same, it's a 9mm stitch width, most of the feet (including the Accuflex) are interchangeable with the 15000, has a knee lifter and thread cutter, and you can create and store your own stitches. The straight stitch function is great.
Jan in AMD

norma carson

I love my 9900, check it out!
Norma

On Apr 28, 2017, at 6:07 AM, blue_lak <no_reply@...> wrote:

Look at the Skyline "S7," if it fits in your budget. Lighter weight, more compact than the 15000 or 12000, but the onscreen menu is much the same, it's a 9mm stitch width, most of the feet (including the Accuflex) are interchangeable with the 15000, has a knee lifter and thread cutter, and you can create and store your own stitches. The straight stitch function is great.
Jan in AMD

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I imagine that would be a great choice.  I have the 3160, its predessor, and it sews very well.  I would have loved to trade up, but it would have cost me $200, and I'm still paying for my 15000!  in comparison to the embroidery machines, it's quite light.

A different topic, but does anyone have an opinion on the Tutto hard case for the 15000?  Unfortunately, the one I have for the 12000 is too small, and I need a bigger one.  I was wondering which is easier to use, and lighter.  Sue Raabr

Pat

Re a wheeled case for your 15000, I tried the Janome molded case and did not like it at all. I found it exceedingly cumbersome to get the machine into it, and then there was no real room for anything else.

I do have the Tutto XL wheeled case and I will have to say, I Love it. I can get virtually everything in it (embroidery unit, in its case will strap on top). I use the Velcro ended, adjustable straps to anchor the machine in (criss-cross, then hook and pull the straps snug) then can insert my accessory bag (the one with all the feet) and the instruction book fit inside. My 6" x8" Snapware box of needles, scissors, pencils, screw drivers, etc fits in one of the exterior pockets on the end, and then there is still another end pocket, and a full length zipper pocket on each side. And a zipper pocket on the inside. Hoops will fit into the exterior zip pockets.

And, if you have the Babylock Ovation serger, it can be used for it, too. You do have to unsnap the back cone holder (the instruction book does tell how to do it)) and then it fits perfectly!!!

The Tutto case is not designed for air travel. It does have the spiffy Tutto feature where it can be "flattened" for storage, and the pull handle will also detach if needed.

Hope this helps...

Pat

Sent from my iPad

Barbara Romanufa

I purchased the Skyline S7 on the advice of this group and am certainly glad I did.  I go between it and my 15000 without even thinking about it.  Everything is just the same.

Barbara

Judy Jackson

Same reason I got the S7 ( known as the Atelier 7 in the U.K.) I know I can switch between the two and use the same feet without worrying about what fits where! A great machine!
Judy, Cornwall

Sent from my iPad

On 29 Apr 2017, at 13:33, iambcdrom@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I purchased the Skyline S7 on the advice of this group and am certainly glad I did.  I go between it and my 15000 without even thinking about it.  Everything is just the same.

Barbara

Liz Borgman

Great to hear you made that choice I know you won't be sorry

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 29, 2017, at 8:33 AM, iambcdrom@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I purchased the Skyline S7 on the advice of this group and am certainly glad I did.  I go between it and my 15000 without even thinking about it.  Everything is just the same.

Barbara

Jollyne Toste

Pat,
How do you lift the darn thing when its all packed up???
I am pretty strong, but the size of the TuTTo XL makes it very difficult to lift.
Jollyne
Walnut Creek Ca

On Apr 28, 2017, at 9:45 PM, pat brioady pibby357@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

Jollyne,
Re lifting a filled Tutto XL -
I squat a little, grab the bag by the support pieces on each end (the ones that fold to make the bag "flat" for storage, above the end pockets), and then pick it up (more like grunt and heft it up 😊) to get the wheels up into my SUV. Once up I can sort of steer it to where I want it. I measured the height of the SUV and it's just a hair under 30"! I'm 5'4."

I've often thought a step would be a nice help. Just a few inches (2-4?) could really make a meaningful difference. It needs to be sturdy, and portable would be good. Maybe one of those old stair-step exercise platforms. Too bad I gave mine away... tee hee

On the other hand, maybe some sort of Rube Goldberg-type contraption could be made to work. He always seems to be in my house for other stuff... ha ha

Hope this helps!
In any case, a good sense of humor certainly helps. :-) :-)

Pat
(Reno)

Sent from my iPad

Jill Kenyon <jpkenyon@...>

Pat - do you take your 15000 to meetings?   I'd be afraid to make it travel that much.  Maybe I'm just chicken🐔🐔🐔

--
 Write your sorrows in sand . . . .  your blessings in stone.

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Does your 15000 fit in the XL?  I love mine, but couldn't get the machine in.  I didn't try putting it in from the top because I didn't think it would fit, and it's so heavy.  I may look at some small combo machines to take to class.  One of the dealers I go to offers embroidery retreats where you can work on whatever you like, and there are instructors to help you if you need them.  Maybe I should consider trading my12000 and 3160 for two separate machines for sewing and embroidery.  Maybe they wouldn't be as heavy.  I don't know if I can get them without a huge outlay.  I'm still paying for the 15000 🙂  I'll look up what they have been selling for on eBay.  I wouldn't buy one there, but it would give me some idea.  The 3160 is hard to go back to after using the 15000!  If a newer machine isn't too much bigger, it should fit in the tote I bought for the D1 years ago.  Thanks for the information.  Sue Raabe

Anne Parker

Thanks for the overall height - I'll consider that when buying another car next year, though would need a reasonable height and low back for the dog.

Just thinking - regarding getting it into the car.  How about one of those fold up dog ramps you can get, then you could wheel it up  the ramp into the car maybe? - push or drag it, probably more control if you push.

I'll need to get a ramp for my dog at some point so may consider a wheeled case now that has come to mind.  At 4ft 11ins I need something to help me take it anywhere!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"If you want to be happy - give up living your life to other peoples expectations"