User security alert

Jim Stutsman

Last month there was a hack at Yahoo. They didn't say much at the time, including suggesting that users change their passwords. Today it has come out that the breach was much more serious:

Yahoo is expected to confirm massive data breach, impacting hundreds of millions of users

Obviously you should change your Yahoo password. However if you use that same password on multiple sites you should assume that it also needs to be changed on all those sites. As the article says, they are selling all the data they grabbed, which includes emails, passwords and whatever else Yahoo has. Given that there are 200 million accounts in the hands of bad guys, you may not be a target right away. Assume that you are and change your passwords. For those services that allow it, such as Apple, Amazon, and Google, you should consider 2 factor authentication. This site (sorry about the embedded ads) explains how it works:

Two-factor authentication: What you need to know (FAQ)

Now that most of us have mobile phones it's not a huge deal to have to enter in a code that gets texted to you, and that's a whole lot easier than trying to put your life back together after your identity is stolen or worse.

Meryl Margolies

I just changed my password just to be sure, but I still can't post or reply through IE. I have to use Chrome to do anything but view postings.

Just checking that there's been nothing since this post which I received yesterday?

[The good, the bad, and the ugly]
It's good that you changed your password. Yahoo's performance has been bad, much slower than usual. That's likely due to half a billion people struggling to get on so they can change their password. It's also likely that they lost the information of ALL members. This happens just a few days before Verizon was supposed to buy Yahoo, and it's about as bad a breach as one can possibly have. To answer your question, yes we had no posts yesterday. That's most likely because everyone was afraid to do so before changing their password.

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

Didn't know that Verizon was going to buy Yahoo, but that may explain why Verizon is no longer providing email accounts to "new" customers (as of April this year). We were going to switch but were told that we'd need to use an outside email provider, e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, etc. We've stayed with Comcast.
Jan

Jim Stutsman

Here's an update with more information on the breach and what to do:
Are you a Yahoo user? Do this right now

Patrice Krant

Thank you, Jim. I just changed my Yahoo password again and added 2 factor authentication to my PayPal and Facebook accounts. Simple procedure and I feel safer. Thank you for looking out for us!

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I can't seem to find a way to change my password.  I must be set up to automatically sign in to my e-mail.  I never use it, but the Yahoo group messages are forwarded to a different e-mail address.  address.  When I started joining Yahoo groups, I assumed I needed a Yahoo e-mail address so I created one. I assume if I removed Yahoo from my computer it would mess up my group e-mails.  Obviously, I know next to nothing about this.  I have enough trouble dealing with a computer that constantly crashes.  I'll change if if I can find the page to do it.  When I click on Yahoo, it goes right to my e-mail.  Now what?  Sue

[This might be a good starting point...]
Change your password
  1. Go to the Yahoo Account Info page.
  2. (Mobile web browser only) tap the Menu icon .
  3. Click Account Security.
  4. Click Change password.
  5. Enter and confirm your new password.
  6. Click Continue. - A confirmation appears.
  7. Click Continue to finish.

Linda <lindamrobertson7@...>

I'm having trouble changing mine as well.
:-(

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2016, at 11:32 AM, Sue Raabe susies.stitches@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

If you can't change your password, then, on the login page, put in your name or login but then click "forgot password".  They will send you and email that will have a link which will enable you to change your password.

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

That did it, Thanks!  I also enabled 2 step verification.  Sue