Free motion quilting

Sherryl Doran

I am doing some fm quilting and had noted from something I saw on the internet from Janome that one should use the "blue" bobbin case for this. However, I have the card that was on the bobbin case package and it says it is to be used only on the 11000 model and a couple of other models, not for the 12000. Could this be because the 12000 had not come out yet when this bobbin case was produced? Is it safe for me to use this case in my 12000? Thanks, Sherryl

Cheryl Paul

Yes, the blue dot bobbin case came out before the 12000. It was brought out about the time the Horizon 7700 was launched, if my memory serves me correct. It can be used quite safely in your 12000, 15000, Skyline series and the other quilting machines that have a threader cutter. Jim, if I’m wrong will you please correct me. The blue dot bobbin case has a lower tension which is better for quilting, the yellow dot that comes with embroidery machines starting at the 12000 is for embroidery as it is a great tension to pull the needle thread under the embroidery to eliminate the bobbin thread from showing on top; then there is the red dot which is the standard bobbin case. The red dot, standard bobbin case sometimes works for everything - you need to test your sewing to see what works best for you. I think that the blue dot bobbin case is not included with all machines, so it may not have come with your machine, but you can purchase it from your dealer.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Sherryl Doran

Thanks for the info, I was hoping that was the answer. Sherryl in Missouri

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I really found it interesting to read all the posts about the cloth setter.  I didn't know exactly what it did, but a friend of mine loved hers.  Because I'm not good with complicated equipment, so I would definitely "try it before I buy it".  The price is a big factor, especially if I end up not being able to use it.  I don't suppose the prices go down when a newer model comes out?  I can hope!  Until I finish paying for the 15000, I wouldn't get it right now anyway.

BTW, for those of you who have followed my posts dealing with putting everything together for my 12000, I have everything together except the inner ring for the GR hoop.  For some reason, I have 2 of the outer part, but not the inner ring.  I made sure I had the right hoops with the right machine.  Since the 12000 was a floor model, all I can think of is that there was an accidental mix up when they packed it.  If worse comes to worse and my dealer can't help, I'll just replace it. Hopefully, he can order the half I need.  I've checked some online dealers for other things, but they don't seem to sell parts of things.  Sue