Connectivity with 15K and ipad

Jo Smoker

I have been using my ipad with Acudesign app with my 15K since last March and have had absolutely no problems.  Last week I could not access my sewing machine.  When I went to export, ( as I have done many, many times)  it did not list the sewing machine.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and after two days of trying it started to work again.  Today I am back to square one, unable to send a design to the 15K.  I spoke to the Janome reps at a Quilt Show in Hershey, Pa last week,and they said I should contact Terry at Janome for help, that they knew nothing about the wifi system.  Well I have spent a lot of time today trying to find a 'contact Janome' link' to send them a message but was unsuccessful. So how do I contact them and what do I need to do now? Am I the only one having this problem??

[Once again finding Yahoo Group search to be worthless!]

As previously posted, Janome Tech Support is available at (201) 825-3200. You can also reach them be email using tech-support@....

When your machine suddenly becomes unreachable it can sometimes be due to the router. Sometimes they just need rebooting, which is done by unplugging, waiting a minute or two, and plugging back in. After you have done that you may need to use the machine's WiFi setup to reconnect, but it should work. One very important thing to check is that your machines IP address matches that of the iPad in the first 3 of the 4 numbers in the IP address. Otherwise they cannot connect.

Jo Smoker

Thanks for response.  I have already gone the cycle of unplugging and replugging the router, plus uninstalling and reinstalling the AcuDesign app.
I don't understand why for months/days everything is running OK and suddenly I can not send designs. WiFi is working fine for everything else.
I will try to make contact with Janome again.

cas <cas@...>

I have had a similar problem.  My issue is my PC internet won’t work if I have my sewing machine wi-fi on. The sewing machine and PC are in the same room as the router and the DSL jack.    My Wi-Fi has been giving me grief for  few months now and it seems to be getting worse.  This weekend Dish (in the living room) and my tablet (in the bedroom) could not connect to the internet.  I have to constantly reboot my router.

So my question is, Jim, do you know if they have changed how routers or service works?  I know mine is constantly seeking a current connection, but when it finds a good one, why doesn’t it stay on that same connection?  I know you may need your magic ball for that question.  I call the ISP and tell them I’m not getting internet, but by the time I’ve waited on hold it is back on and they test it and tell me all is well.  It is very frustrating!  My router is not in a convenient place to disconnect and reconnect so often.  I have high speed DSL and have had the same provider for 8 yrs. so I don’t know why so much has changed in the last year.  Do they routinely dump a connection to provide a better connection to users who are active in each moment, or what?  Like I said, they just tell me “It’s fine, we can see a clear signal.”  There is not another high speed provider available for my area or I’d dump them and tell them “It’s fine. I have a clear signal now!”
Thanks,
Cas

When your machine suddenly becomes unreachable it can sometimes be due to the router. Sometimes they just need rebooting, which is done by unplugging, waiting a minute or two, and plugging back in. After you have done that you may need to use the machine's WiFi setup to reconnect, but it should work. One very important thing to check is that your machines IP address matches that of the iPad in the first 3 of the 4 numbers in the IP address. Otherwise they cannot connect.

Avast logo

[WiFi - can you hear me now?]

WiFi is assumed by most folks to be the same as an ethernet connection but without the wires. That's not quite how it works. You need to be aware that WiFi is radio, and very low powered radio at that. It's subject to interference and signal strength issues just like the radio in your car is. There are also multiple "flavors" of WiFi. The original was 802.11b, which is seldom used any more due to its slow speed. This was replaced by 802.11g, which is faster. My equipment uses 802.11n, which is even faster than 802.11g. It also comes in 2 speeds: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The 2.4 works over a longer distance, but can be disrupted by something as mundane as a cordless telephone (as opposed to a cell phone, which is different) or a microwave oven. I use 5GHz most of the time. It doesn't travel as far, but its faster.

Depending on where you have your router, it could be subjected to various forms of interference. Also some routers will constantly try to connect to a stronger signal. If you have a neighbor with an unsecured router, yours could be constantly jumping to connect to it. From my computer I can see 11 other routers in addition to my own. Fortunately my gear knows the real one and remembers, so I don't have any connection issues.

Like all computer gear, there are different grades of equipment. Years ago we always bought LinkSys networking equipment. However it was sold to Cisco, and they used it to make their "consumer" grade. Since then their stuff has been junk. Netgear makes acceptable products, D-Link sometimes is OK, although I've had some really awful stuff from them. Generally the cheaper the gear, the less you should expect from it. Needless to say, anything provided by your ISP will be the cheapest they can get and that's pretty much guaranteed not to be the best.

cas <cas@...>

Thanks for all the info Jim,

Can I buy my own modem and program it to only see my connection?  My modem sees several of the neighbors, it shows them whether they are secured or unsecured.  I didn’t think about it trying to connect with them.  It also sees my Wi-Fi Printer which is in this room.

Do you think Netgear would be the way to go, if so?  I don’t know  what Ghz service I have, I am on the outer edge of semi-fast speed,  1/2 mile to the west and it wouldn’t be available.  I’m guaranteed at least 7 bps, it is usually around 9 when I test it.  Higher speed is not available in my area.   I moved the router in here where the PC is because of previous conversations about interference, but even in here, with the sewing machine and the PC 8ft from the modem I will lose the internet if I am sending a design to the sewing machine.

This weekend was adding to my  frustration, when Dish failed.  Coincidentally, a friend in a nearby city who has the same ISP said she called them this morning because of a new problem with connection.
Thanks,
Cas

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Connectivity with 15K and ipad

[...]

[If I had a modem, I'd modem in the morning, I'd modem in the evening, all over this land!]
With Dish network it's likely that you have a modem and router combined into one device. Buying your own modem isn't feasible for DSL, and may not even be possible on that system. However you do not need to use the router that's embedded in their modem. You could buy your own wireless router and plug it into the modem with a cable. You'll want to disable the router in their modem, and you'll probably need to call them to do that. They may not allow it. In areas where Dish (owned by AT&T) is the only option they tend to treat their customers like serfs and not allow much of anything.

You could also just buy your own wireless access point and connect it via cable to the modem/router. In that scenario you would ignore the existing WiFi network and create a new one using the access point. Netgear makes these, as do most other networking manufacturers. I'm partial to Apple's Airport Express for this purpose, but Netgear will work as well. Here's one example:  https://amzn.com/B00D7GH7O6
Keep in mind you will also need an Ethernet cable (looks like an over-sized telephone wire) to connect the access point to the modem/router. Never buy cables from Best Buy, Walmart or other "big box" stores. They mark them way up to make up for the discounted pricing on the other equipment. Amazon cable pricing is the best.

For what it's worth, those of us in the US are paying far too much for far too little in terms of Internet access. Consider that in South Korea (!) you could get 100 times the speed you have now for $30 a month. DSL will always be the next best thing to dial-up because it's still coming in over the phone lines. With Time-Warner cable (Second most hated company on earth, Comcast being first) I have 200MB down and 20MB up. The best DSL from AT&T is about 30MB down and 3MB up.

cas <cas@...>

lol, if I had a modem . . .   la la la

I have centurylink ISP and Dish network.  I have a modem from Centurylink,  it’s a ZyXel model and seems very cheap.  It’s been replaced twice.  It works by plugging into a phone jack, and they installed something outside on a pole for it.  I have  a separate connection for Dish DSL (outside as well, but in the garage, so I think they are separate) with it’s own jack with a DVR and Hoppers on each TV.  Dish works, but onDemand which requires internet did not work this weekend, and neither did other devices which depend on the internet.

I’m wondering if I can buy a different modem than the one Centurylink gave me to use with their service.  I did buy a wireless access point, a booster, but couldn’t figure out how to configure it.  It showed up as just another network on the PC, similar to all the centurylink networks in my neighborhood.

Can I use a device like the one you showed me at amazon instead of my modem?
Thanks,
Cas

Avast logo

barb2220@...

I have successfully contacted Terry w/Janome at:  tech_support@....
Good luck.

Barbara Wolcott <barb2220@...>

On Monday, August 1, 2016 5:53 PM, "jim.stutsman@... [janome12000]" wrote:

[...]

I tried several times to contact Janome via  tech-support@...  and the email comes back as undeliverable.  Tomorrow I will try to call.
I am running off  Airport Express ... reset, updated, plugged and replugged.  Holding my breath!.

Jim Stutsman

You cannot replace the modem. It's what converts the signal from the telephone line to ethernet for your network. The access point that you have would probably work if configured to provide a wireless network. If you cannot turn off the wireless function in the modem then you should at least make sure they are on separate channels, say one at 1 and the other at 11. This gets very technical and you may need help to get it all working. What you need is a teenage gamer. Those guys live for speed and are very good at tweaking a network.

Jim Stutsman

Have you actually verified that the Airport Express is connecting to the iPad? If you can't browse the Internet through Safari then the problem is more fundamental, such as having it in Airplane mode.

Jo Smoker

Yes everything is connected and working correctly.  No problems with iPhone or ipad except with the 15K.   Yesterday I spoke with an Apple rep and he had me reset the ipad internet connection back to factory default, then when I went to the Airport Utility a  little red number popped up saying there was an upgrade to my Firmware ...... it was not there before I reset the ipad. Then I was able to download and install an upgrade to the airport express firmware, and eventually could reset the router.  At this point all lights are green and I did send a design to the 15K last night.  Time will tell!!!!!!!  now that was a learning experience for an old lady!!!

Virginia

Go to Janome global and there is a phone 3 and an e-mail address to copy and paste.  I contacted them Friday and received an e-mail stating they would forward to tech support.  I guess we all have to wait our turn but I know it is difficult.

Virginia