USB DRIVES & EMBROIDERY PROGRAMS & Embroidery unit

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Thanks for all the advice and information.  Apparently, I've already downloaded Hatch, although I don't think I ever  used it.  I end up not being to understand how to use the different functions.  That's why I haven't bought anything else.  If Wilcom won't let me take one of the 3 (think) free lessons, I'll buy one.  As I remember it (although though that's not worth much), They're $30.  Somewhere, I have some of the tutorial pages I printed up.  I only want to learn the basics.  The more frustrated I get, the less I want to do anything but embroider designs as is.  I didn't do much more anyway, except occasionally add lettering. Sometimes I resized them, but I get the impression that isn't a good idea.  Supposedly, some programs adjust the density when a design is resized.  At this point, if a design isn't the right size, I'll find something that is!  Me memory and concentration are getting worse, and I keep misplacing things.  I had everything for the 12000 together and put it on a table to take a picture, and couldn't find the hoops.  When I took the ones I though were for the 15000, it turned out they were for the 12000.  The only way I could tell, was that forgot to clean one of the hoops. With the small things I misplaced, I just bought again, but the hoops are way too expensive, and when I eventually find the missing ones, I'll end up with 2 sets, which I don't need.  The commercial machines seem to come with 2 sets.  Someone described it as "one on the machine and one in the hoop", which makes sense because the people who use them probably do multiples.  I know they'll turn up somewhere, and in the meantime, I can use one from the 12000.

I reread all the embroidery unit instructions and watched the video on the machine, and realized I was pushing the wrong release button. I was pushing the embroidery unit release button, not the carriage arm button.  I got the unit back on the machine with the arm extended.  When I turned the machine, and used the other button, it went back where it belonged.  I haven't used it yet, so I hope it works.  I didn't force anything.  All this because I decided to embroider a butterfly on a purse pocket. If I hadn't told the girl I was making it for, I would have skipped it.  I bought the My 15000 app for my IPad, but I don't know where I put that either :-(   I'm assuming I can't use it on the IPhone unless I purchase another one. It's not urgent, and I can muddle along with what I learned from the 12000.  I found the transition very uneventful.  The new features weren't that dramatic, but they make it easier for me.  I had given up  the automatic threader on my Babylock, in favor of the 12000, which I consider a better machine.  I like the larger screen, the bobbin winder and being able to send designs straight to the machine.  For some reason, the bobbins were always uneven on the 12000; probably user error.  My dealer gives one on one lessons, so I can ask more questions.  In the past. some dealers had group lessons with more than one brand of machine.  For me, it was very confusing.  Everyone learns differently, and it's not one size fits all.   I like things the way they  are now.

Thanks for the computer advice.  Both of my laptops need to be looked at.  The older one has all my embroidery designs on it, but I couldn't open any embroider programs, or much of anything  else for that matter. I managed to transfer all of them to a portable hard drive without opening them, but at least I have them.  I may purchase another one to back up everything else, in case Windows needs to be reinstalled.  I have the recovery disk just in case.  It's certainly not something I would attempt on my own, and maybe that's not what's wrong with it.  It's running on Vista, which I like.  7 is similar, but I like Vista better.  I'd like to use it as long as the computer is viable, or it can't be supported any more.  Someone told me to install SHELL on the one that has Windows 8, which is  like a foreign language. Can someone tell me what it is? Most of my friends don't know much about the programs and  finding out what's wrong.  They seem to have someone in the family do it.  I'm not complaining, but I have to do as much as I can from tutorials and forums, and then if that doesn't work, it's time to take it to the experts!  I know this is long, but I wanted to thank all of you for your support.  It's reassuring that someone usually has some advice or solution.  Sue

Cat - N

Sue,

First, I am so sorry you are having so may difficulties with getting the butterfly stitched on the pocket, and with the software.  I am sure all the missing pieces will turn up, but I understand how frustrating it can be.  Software works the way it works, unfortunately, and the way it works is not always intuitive to us.  Just the words used on the menus can be 'wrong thinking' to us...until we learn it well enough.  For those with a 'knack' to understand software, or who programmed, or who have used graphics software for almost 40 years and drew on the computer using commands and wrote OUR first graphics program ourselves, those things may be easier.

But, take heart...there is hope and help...and lots of it on the internet is lots of cases...finding it can be a challenge, too, since not every instruction, manual, video, tutorial, etc., is 'worded' such that it comes right back at the top of the list in a search either.  Whew...LOL

Now...

The SHELL program is actually called "Classic Shell" and it 'gives back' the START button and other 'familiar' interface items.  You can download it at:

    http://classicshell.net/

I installed it immediately after getting this new Windows 8.1 laptop.  (Some of us don't want our laptop PC to look and work like a smartphone, especially if THIS laptop is not touchscreen...LOL)

About Lessons...I don't know about Wilcom lesson, so cannot offer any advice.  If you really do want to digitize, you may want to check into lessons for 'any' software you select, especially if you have worked with a 'trial' of the software while keeping the instruction manual handy, and are still having issues or experiencing frustration at accomplishing what you want/need to do.

About telling the hoops apart...the AcuSetter app recommends that you take a permanent marker and 'blacken' the hoop 'registration' marks...those are the tiny marks at the corners of the hoop.  I also blackened with a Sharpie pen the orientation 'arrow' to make it easier for me to see.  If you don't want the black anymore, alcohol should remove the Sharpie ink...dab it quickly and remove it immediately.   If the hoops for the 12000 are white, and the hoops for the 15000 are black, it will be much easier to tell them apart.  I know which of my hoops are for my 11000 and which are for the 15000, but the black reg marks are a dead giveaway at the quickest of glances when they are together...LOL.

You should always be able to use the standard 'Windows (file) Explorer' to copy any file...embroidery files, too...to another media.  You don't need to 'see' the designs, but you will want to make sure you SEE the "file extension" so that you get all of the .JEF (and .DST or other embroidery format) files, and any associated .JPG and/or .PDF instructios, etc., too.  'File Preview" and the icon/thumbnail views don't show anything UNLESS there is a software application program that 'allows' it to.

In the interim, there is a program called SewWhat Pro that also has a trial at...there are several...here is one.

    https://www.akdesignsboutique.com/sewwhat-pro-embroidery-editing-software-swp-sewwhatpro-sew-what-pro/

...and the company that makes it:

    http://sandscomputing.com/

...there are Yahoo, FB groups, etc...click on SUPPORT at the top of the screen, and the manual is at:

    http://sandscomputing.com/Applications/SewWhat-Pro_Manual.pdf

...be sure to save a copy for later, if you decide to check out this software app.

I do not know how easy/difficult it will be for you to learn to do the things you want/need/ to do, but if it works for you, it is not very pricey, you can register it over the internet, and keep on using it.  You can 'merge' designs, resize, and sew lettering from any font installed on your PC.  There is a manual you can download, and it just might get you going for now.  You can "drag and drop" designs right onto designs you want to merge, or onto a "NEW" documents (File, New...) and you can print stitch charts with grid placement.  It is a nice program IMHO...just I want more....moRE...MORE...!!!LOL

I hope from this point on you have a more enjoyable time with your new 15000.

- Cat

[...]

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Sue,
I love Vista too! Unfortunately it's been updating itself daily and so I've finally read the writing on the computer screen and I've taken over someone's Windows 10 computer.
I've been a bit overwhelmed recently too and now realize that it's time to do one thing at a time.  Things are looking up with that philosophy.  I have one goal each day and sometimes actually achieve it!
Anyway, here's a video by another Sue and I hope it helps.  WILCOM Hatch Embroidery: Introduction to Wilcom embroidery

Ceil

marjackpot@yahoo.com

Sue,  Stitch the butterfly out on nylon mesh stabilizer, just right on the stabilizer and then cut it out and applique it right where you want it to go.

I have the Bernina Software, Perfect Embroidery and the Floriani program.  All of these I can digitize  with except the Floriani but guess what?  I would never spend 3 hours or more doing a design when I can go online pick out a design, have it stitched out quicker than I could design one.

Marge in Fl.

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

If it isn't an applique design, how will I get it to stay attached?  I've done that with applique designs where I've stitched the outline, and then did the final stitching on the actual fabric.  It's an outline design, so wouldn't I have to embroider on the pocket so the mesh doesn't show?  I haven't done applique that much, and don't know too much about it.  Sue

Lou Ann

Hi, Sue.  I'm not sure I do applique correctly unless it's an in-the-hoop project and I haven't screwed one of those up...yet.

I've been working on a large project that if I had been going to do it "regular" would have required 12 hoopings.  I could just see myself trying to get the middle segments lined up with not just one side, but 3 or 4 sides adjoining ...not happening with someone who struggles enough with hooping anyway!  So, what I'm doing with this project is doing the applique steps with the design elements stitched on just the stabilizer and then I'll sew these, after tearing away the stabilizer, on to the background fabric by stitching right along the edge of the satin stitches of the applique.  I guess if you're not using satin stitches, you could color match your thread to the applique pieces and maybe it wouldn't show that they aren't attached as part of the applique technique.

Isn't our hobby fun and exciting!
The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.  Nicolas Chamfort

Cheryl Paul

Lou Ann, Can you post of picture of the design you are trying to do? You have my imagine working at least double time trying to picture this design. Which hoop are you using? I find that the ASQ22 is one of the nicest hoops for placement. I haven’t tried the Acu Setter App yet, but a video I watched sure made it look easy. I imagine that the box set-up that Jim and Diane came up with would make it even easier.

It would be nice if you also post a picture of your finished project. I do hope you great success in accomplishing what you have set out to do.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Sounds like an interesting way to do applique.  When the design is solid, I have done everything but the satin stitch outline, cut it out, and stitched it in place.  I think I learned it on one of the yahoo groups.  I never thought of using tear away so the empty areas won't show.  I'll give it a try.  After I embroider the un-sewn pocket, I need to quilt it.  That way, the embroidery won't show on the back, and it will secure all the layers.  I'm sorry I offered th do it; it's just more work!  Sue

Lou Ann

They say experience is the best teacher.  I learned long ago not to volunteer to make something for anybody unless I just really WANTED to do it.  I know I'm very fortunate to be able to sew and embroider for a hobby not a business and I've found I can say "No" without too much guilt!

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:35 PM, "Sue Raabe susies.stitches@... [janome12000]" wrote:

Sounds like an interesting way to do applique.  When the design is solid, I have done everything but the satin stitch outline, cut it out, and stitched it in place.  I think I learned it on one of the yahoo groups.  I never thought of using tear away so the empty areas won't show.  I'll give it a try.  After I embroider the un-sewn pocket, I need to quilt it.  That way, the embroidery won't show on the back, and it will secure all the layers.  I'm sorry I offered th do it; it's just more work!  Sue

susies.stitches@...

I have no idea where this reply is going to end up going!  All of a sudden, when I click reply to group, it takes me to Microsoft Essentials, and if I decline to install it, I can't do anything.

I wanted to thank Lou Ann for her remarks.  I totally agree with her.  I really prefer to have things already made in case someone wants something.  I really enjoy making things as a hobby, but as soon as it turns into a paid project, it takes forever.  I like giving things I've made to people, but not on a deadline or with any expectations on their part.  The purse I agreed to make has taken so long, that I don't plan to charge her for anything, including the fabric.  It isn't a difficult pattern, and I've made it before, but the loss of one of our children has made it very hard to motivate myself to do much of anything.  I still like making things, but I just can't commit to doing things for someone else.  I got over the idea of having an embroidery business long ago.  There are many reasons why it wouldn't work, among them not having the courage to go out and get the jobs!  I attended a seminar on starting an embroidery business, and when they explained everything that went into pricing things, I realized it wasn't for me.  I understood why all of it factored into it, but I never would have thought of all the components, like rent, telephone, the amount of thread, how long it took the machine to change colors, electricity,  and more that I've forgotten.  If part of someone's home was dedicated to the business, they explained how to calculate the tax deduction.  It certainly was an eye opener, but most of those things didn't apply to me anyway. It wasn't a waste; it gave me insight into how most businesses need to operate.  It's not a random process, but a scientific method to determine the true cost of running any kind of business.  My family thinks it's weird that I like to understand things that I don't plan to do, but it gives me a better sense of how things work.  It doesn't matter whether or not I had any intention of doing it myself!  It gives me greater appreciation of people who have been successful.