New Computer recommendations

suerevere@ymail.com

I need to replace my PC laptop. Am Apple user but keep PC laptop for Digitzer, ArtNstitch, HQ ProStitcher Sim -- other PC software. Do not like running PC emulators on MacBook Pro (been there - done that-- not for me anymore).

Any recommendations? I have had Dells but am wondering what people are really liking these days???

Thanks - input is greatly appreciated.

[Recommendations based on web reviews]

Most of the PC manufacturers are in a race for the bottom, using low price as their primary motivator. The "big box" stores usually push HP, whose computers are marvels of plastic covered trash. Hewlett and Packard are likely to cause an earthquake from the spinning in their respective graves. Dell has had some scandals related to defective parts that they kept hidden, seriously damaging the luster of the brand. At this stage Asus and Acer seem to be the best PC manufacturers. If you don't find them locally you can buy either online at Amazon or Newegg.

suerevere@ymail.com

Thanks for the feedback. I am going for an Acer or Asus -- I haven't adored by Dell in a long time and never have been able to be smitten with an HP in the last many years.

Patricia Ward

I have an ASUS laptop and love it. So does my son.  Also our friend who owns a computer business for selling and repair as well as setting up businesses in accounts and networks recommends either Acer or Asus and sells both.

See, Jim was right on the money again! 

Pat 

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM, srevere@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

I need to replace my PC laptop. Am Apple user but keep PC laptop for Digitzer, ArtNstitch, HQ ProStitcher Sim -- other PC software. Do not like running PC emulators on MacBook Pro (been there - done that-- not for me anymore).

Any recommendations? I have had Dells but am wondering what people are really liking these days???

Most of the PC manufacturers are in a race for the bottom, using low price as their primary motivator. The "big box" stores usually push HP, whose computers are marvels of plastic covered trash. Hewlett and Packard are likely to cause an earthquake from the spinning in their respective graves. Dell has had some scandals related to defective parts that they kept hidden, seriously damaging the luster of the brand. At this stage Asus and Acer seem to be the best PC manufacturers. If you don't find them locally you can buy either online at Amazon or Newegg.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I'm interested in this topic too as my Dell with Vista has a little hissy fit just about every day now.  I usually buy AND USE the three year contract so that I can call and get help if needed.  Plus it seems that if something is going to go wrong, it goes wrong on the 366th day (I actually had this happen with a printer).  Does anyone know if such contracts are available for the Acer or Asus?  I can't find that information on their site.  Also, any thoughts on a gaming computer with VR becoming more and more popular?  I usually keep my computer for about 10 years. 
Thanks,
Ceil

[Never having used a computer for 10 years, Jim struggles to reply.]
Service contracts are normally very high profit items for retailers. Most stores offer them, and for laptops they are not necessarily a bad idea. Laptops get schlepped around, bumped and bruised and they are very expensive to work on. However most service contracts will not go beyond 3 years. Usually by the time a computer is 10 years old it's hard to find even software that will run on it. Just look at how much Windows has changed in 10 years! We're still in the infancy of Virtual Reality (VR), so I wouldn't be investing heavily in it just yet.

cas <cas@...>

That’s good to know about Asus and Acer.  I love my HP desktop but I’ve had it for probably 12 years and their quality must have really gone down.  I’ve replaced the fan motor once, but that’s ok since it’s been on continually the whole time.  It’s a huge Media Center PC and I’ve totally reconfigured it with a different video card, etc.  That used to be a big deal watching TV on the PC.  I’m waiting as long as possible to buy a new desktop.  I was bummed I had to put Windows 7 on it.  XP was great and I never had issues with it. 

Come to think of it my laptop, an old HP Pavillion has been running great and it’s “100 yrs.” old.  Actually, I don’t know how old it is, I bought it on ebay.  It is older style with a nice 17” screen and full keyboard with number pad.   It had Vista on it, I put Win 7 on it.   My newer HP Sleekbook had the motherboard replaced within 6 months (under warranty) and then crashed again and I had to put a new hard drive in it.  I got rid of all the original settings and installed Win 7 on that too.  It had Win 8 on it.  What a piece of junk.  It sits in the drawer and I’m just using the hard drive on it for backup. 

I always thought Asus and Acer were knock-off brands or whatever you call it.  At least there are some affordable options out there. 
Cas

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] New Computer recommendations

I have an ASUS laptop and love it. So does my son.  Also our friend who owns a computer business for selling and repair as well as setting up businesses in accounts and networks recommends either Acer or Asus and sells both.

See, Jim was right on the money again!

Pat

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM, srevere@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Cat - N

Cas,

ASUS is definitely not a 'knock off' brand...LOL  ASUS has been making some of the best mainboards, etc. for a lot of years. In the machines that we built here, when we were building high end machines for graphics and processing power (before the 'gaming industry' started full steam) for ourselves and others, ASUS was generally our first choice for the mainboard.  Between two 'otherwise equal' boards, ASUS would usually win unless there was a substantial cost saving with no apparent quality loss.  I think there may have been a (very) few occasions when there were 'reasons' that ASUS wouldn't do, but I cannot remember specifics off the top. 

Acer has also been around for a very long time.  There have been some models that were troublesome, in my experience, but generally, they were a good, solid machine.  It is not uncommon for a good 'brand' to build a 'bad' machine or model...it depends on whether or not they get good components to solder in under the hood...LOL  (Dell does not "build" machines, BTW...never have...they only contract with companies that do, and put the Dell logo on the machines instead of their own. I have never bought or recommended a Dell.)

I built almost all of my personal desktop computers since 1980, so my experience with brands is largely 'professional' and companies often buy for volume cost rather than quality.  HP 'business class' machines...the 'workstation class' machines were pretty good.  They came with 3-year warranties and were sold through 'business partner' companies, but you could buy them as an individual, too....CDW, PC Connection, Global, etc.  The low end machines...the 'retail' models that were sold in office supply and 'box' stores, like Pavillion, were a 'crap shoot'...you might get a good one...or not...LOL   Often they would run like crazy, then just quit...LOL  It was the same with Compaq (high end vs low end), and some of the HP machines are the former Compaq models.  Today's retail machines are still a crap shoot IMHO...maybe crappier than ever, sadly...LOL

My hubby has an ASUS 'gaming' laptop.  I have an MSI (another good brand) 'gaming' laptop.  Both were pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 (no comment...LOL)  He games...I don't but I need graphics power, so, the machines we choose are due to quality, components, design...stuff like that.  I would recommend either brand, but even saying that, I look for RAM, HD, ports, CPU, graphics adapter...stuff like that...not brand per se.  It is just that certain brands make the machines in a way more to my liking and value their reputation highly, even if they don't advertise as widely.

- Cat

Teressa Sisemore

Jim, I toy with getting an inexpensive Windows laptop just for my sewing software, designs & Digitizer Pro. What specs do you recommend for tray purpose? Teressa

[Is there an echo in the room?]

cas <cas@...>

Thanks Cat!  It’s nice to have another recommendation for ASUS.   For me and the OP.   I’ve been dreading buying a new desktop knowing that you’re right, it’s a crap shoot!  I’ve rarely heard of Asus.  That’s how often I shop for computers.  I have heard of Acer though.

I think whoever was making business machines for Dell was doing a good job because I’ve used them at several jobs, one of which was Norton, and at college.  They never seemed to crash.  I even bought a retired Dell tower on ebay and it’s still working,  Husband has it at work, in 100 degree shop some days.  Poor guy.  But I digress.
Cas

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:43 AM

Cas,

ASUS is definitely not a 'knock off' brand...LOL  ASUS has been making some of the best mainboards, etc. for a lot of years. In the machines that we built here, when we were building high end machines for graphics and processing power (before the 'gaming industry' started full steam) for ourselves and others, ASUS was generally our first choice for the mainboard.  Between two 'otherwise equal' boards, ASUS would usually win unless there was a substantial cost saving with no apparent quality loss.  I think there may have been a (very) few occasions when there were 'reasons' that ASUS wouldn't do, but I cannot remember specifics off the top. 

Acer has also been around for a very long time.  There have been some models that were troublesome, in my experience, but generally, they were a good, solid machine.  It is not uncommon for a good 'brand' to build a 'bad' machine or model...it depends on whether or not they get good components to solder in under the hood...LOL  (Dell does not "build" machines, BTW...never have...they only contract with companies that do, and put the Dell logo on the machines instead of their own. I have never bought or recommended a Dell.)

I built almost all of my personal desktop computers since 1980, so my experience with brands is largely 'professional' and companies often buy for volume cost rather than quality.  HP 'business class' machines...the 'workstation class' machines were pretty good.  They came with 3-year warranties and were sold through 'business partner' companies, but you could buy them as an individual, too....CDW, PC Connection, Global, etc.  The low end machines...the 'retail' models that were sold in office supply and 'box' stores, like Pavillion, were a 'crap shoot'...you might get a good one...or not...LOL   Often they would run like crazy, then just quit...LOL  It was the same with Compaq (high end vs low end), and some of the HP machines are the former Compaq models.  Today's retail machines are still a crap shoot IMHO...maybe crappier than ever, sadly...LOL

My hubby has an ASUS 'gaming' laptop.  I have an MSI (another good brand) 'gaming' laptop.  Both were pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 (no comment...LOL)  He games...I don't but I need graphics power, so, the machines we choose are due to quality, components, design...stuff like that.  I would recommend either brand, but even saying that, I look for RAM, HD, ports, CPU, graphics adapter...stuff like that...not brand per se.  It is just that certain brands make the machines in a way more to my liking and value their reputation highly, even if they don't advertise as widely.

- Cat

Teressa Sisemore

Hahaha
I ment minimal memory, ram... all that PC crap that we used to worry about. Guess it doesn't matter any more?
I'm sure a terabyte is plenty. 😜

[Jim showers frequently to remove all that PC crap!]
RAM - More is ALWAYS better. For Windows 4GB is a bare minimum, 8GB is better. Hard drives are cheap, so 1TB is almost standard and is adequate for our needs. However I prefer using a Solid State Drive (SSD), as they are 20-30 times faster. Prices are coming down, so a 500GB SSD is about the same as a 1TB HD. Very cheap laptops will usually offer only hard drives. Otherwise they wouldn't be cheap.

MarieD

I bought an Acer a few months ago. It's the best laptop I've ever had. My
two previous HPs were less than satisfactory.

MarieD

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:24 PM
To: janome12000@yahoogroups.com

I always thought Asus and Acer were knock-off brands or whatever you call
it. At least there are some affordable options out there.

Anne Parker

In UK, for several years I bought my PC's and laptops from the online store MESH.  You can specifiy exactly what you want - processor, memory, DVD drives (floppy drives in the old days) and cpu speed etc. plus the mother boards.  I always opted for an ASUS motherboard as opposed to any other.  I found them exceptional and never failed to provide what I wanted.   When I wanted one I bought an MSI laptop from them.  All have worked perfectly.  The current Windows 7 PC is about 6 years old and has no issues.

I've worked for IBM and have had top spec IBM Thinkpads, but on retireing 3 years ago I had to buy my own laptop.  I bought a £350 ASUS laptop from Argos - It had a 1GB hard drive and 8 MB of ram and onboard graphics (never felt I needed a separate grapics card).. I run MBX 4.5, Open Office 4.1.1 and a few more things on it.  As I said it is 3 years old.  The only thing I have had to replace is the power adaptor - probably because I am constantly moving it around and bending the power connection.

What would I buy next time - definitely look at ASUS. - don't know anything about ACER - whatever I buy will have as much RAM as I can afford - saves time swapping programs in an out of memory and improves screen refresh times - and as fast a processor as I can afford - and may look at the onboard graphics card (think they may now have their own memory - I've lost track!)

These 2 things I find - RAM and processor speed - really make a difference.  I remember runing Windows 3.1 and trying to run Open University Software on it.  The screen took absolutely ages to refresh (this was in the days before Browsers were available!).  I doubled the memory and all worked fantastic!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" Edgar's Mission | www.edgarsmission.org.au

Mary E

All I know of HP was their printers and I was underwhelmed by them. I appreciate this thread as I am considering buying a Windows-based computer solely for using the embroidery software (I am a Mac person)
Mary E

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM, 'MarieD' vze2c6r5@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

MarieD

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:24 PM
To: janome12000@...

I always thought Asus and Acer were knock-off brands or whatever you call
it. At least there are some affordable options out there.

cas <cas@...>

Jim has explained how to get embroidery software to work on a Mac I think.  I don’t pay that much attention to the Apple conversations.

I hear you on crappy HP printers MarieD.  I purchased and returned 5 HP printers already last year trying to get one that would work.  They have really gone downhill!  I ended up keeping the last HP printer because I got a great deal on it.  They have a new model this year so I got the exact printer with a different number on the front for $150.00 discount.  It works good unless I try to feed foundation piecing papers through it. Jams 50% of the time.  Always something!

Does anyone have printer recommendations?  I was trying to find one that accepts single sheets so I can insert a different type paper on occasion through a top tray rather than opening up the big tray and replacing the paper.  My old one had that option.  HP has gotten so cheap they no longer include photo software with the printer.  So a printer with photo software would be nice.  I use Windows Photo Gallery and I’m underwhelmed.  PITA.  Didn’t care much for Picasso either.

I have “good” software like Paintshop Pro but it takes forever to load and I don’t need that many editing options just to manage files and look at photos.
Cas

All I know of HP was their printers and I was underwhelmed by them. I appreciate this thread as I am considering buying a Windows-based computer solely for using the embroidery software (I am a Mac person)
Mary E

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM, 'MarieD' vze2c6r5@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

MarieD

Linda Bestul <llbestul@...>

I have ASUS all-in-one will not buy any thing else next laptop will be ASUS also HP I have is awful

Sent from my iPhone

Vikki Youngmeyer

I have had and still have Brother printers. Even the cheapest ones will allow you to single feed sheets into them. I just open up the bottom drawer and move it out a bit so that the stored paper doesn’t get printed. I usually used it to print single sided card stock for dog show arm bands. Yes, I’m weird! I replaced the original cheapest model when the drum went out and I couldn’t find a replacement for it anywhere. That was about 7 years ago. Since then I bought  another one. The Wi-Fi circuit crapped out after 4 years, but I can hook it to a computer and use it as a shared printer. Have printed many a card stock arm band and catalog cover on it since then! I do have a couple of HP printers. One that has the Fax machine goes to sleep on me, so I have to jump thru hoops to get it to wake up. Finally quit jumping thru hoops and unplugged and replugged the power cable into the printer. HP know about this, but hasn’t done anything to fix it –typical!

Vikki

Houston, TX

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 3:56 PM

Jim has explained how to get embroidery software to work on a Mac I think.  I don’t pay that much attention to the Apple conversations.

I hear you on crappy HP printers MarieD.  I purchased and returned 5 HP printers already last year trying to get one that would work.  They have really gone downhill!  I ended up keeping the last HP printer because I got a great deal on it.  They have a new model this year so I got the exact printer with a different number on the front for $150.00 discount.  It works good unless I try to feed foundation piecing papers through it. Jams 50% of the time.  Always something!

Does anyone have printer recommendations?  I was trying to find one that accepts single sheets so I can insert a different type paper on occasion through a top tray rather than opening up the big tray and replacing the paper.  My old one had that option.  HP has gotten so cheap they no longer include photo software with the printer.  So a printer with photo software would be nice.  I use Windows Photo Gallery and I’m underwhelmed.  PITA.  Didn’t care much for Picasso either.

I have “good” software like Paintshop Pro but it takes forever to load and I don’t need that many editing options just to manage files and look at photos.

Cas

Mary E

MarieD

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

After being happy with HP printers, I bought an Epson as they had great ratings at the time and the printer I bought was supposed to be the best.  Well, the ink turned out to be crazy expensive and the printer died on day 366.  One day out of warranty (unbelievable but now I know to use a charge card that doubles the warranty period).  Couldn't even give it away to someone who might fix it and use it- no one wanted it for free. 
I still needed a flatbed printer but had kept our old HP Officejet K80.  One tech told me that the OfficeJet was great on ink and it's true. Anyway I bought another HP with a flatbed and have had it for about 4 years now with no problems- it's also not as ink-hungry as the Epson was.  So I'm inclined to stick with HP but I guess there are good and bad ones in every brands just like sewing machines!   The new HP is wireless (have now learned that "wireless" means whenever it feels like being wireless) and we've kept the old HP too as my husband prints more frequently and so he uses that one. 
One thing I do remember from looking at reviews of printers is that there is no one printer that everyone loves.  Actually it's very hard to find a review of anything that is universally loved.  I usually read the one star reviews to find out what people didn't like and what went wrong but it's still not fool-proof!
Ceil

blue_lak <no_reply@...>

Not to beat a dead horse, but my laptop is HP from Costco (which gave extended warranty with the purchase) and printer is a Brother all in one large format (Pro series, 2.5 yrs old). Though not laser, the printer is fairly economical on ink and can accommodate almost any type paper/cardstock. Brother has two different capacity ink cartridges depending on how much you print. I can print/scan up to 11x17 paper, including newsprint for multiple layouts of PP blocks. I also use it to scan an image for digitizing. It is large, but works like a champ. The HP laptop (3 yrs old) also works great. Though I hadn't planned on buying a new printer when I bought the laptop, my old Canon printer didn't have wifi. DH also has a black and white HP laser printer. With our home network, either of us can print to either printer.  Just my experience...

Jan

cas <cas@...>

That’s a good idea to read reviews.  I learned Best Buy removes low reviews.  I bought a piece of junk LG washing machine and wrote three reviews, all were removed from their site. I noticed there were no reviews lower than 3.  They weren’t ranting reviews or anything, just the facts.  Sometimes word of mouth is a good thing, especially for particular needs.  In this group we print foundation papers, embroidery files, etc. 

I belong to a knitting group online and I’ll ask a question and invariably someone will chime in, “Search Google”.  I want personal, anecdotal, experienced information sharing.  It’s why I joined the knitting group.  Like, duh, I know I can search WWW.

On Amazon I notice if a product has mostly high reviews and then I read the low reviews.  They are often written before they learn how to use their product, or they’re talking about an entirely different product.  Sometimes you can tell they are just having a bad day.  lol.

I remember when Epson were really good printers too.  I compared the ink prices before I came home with another HP.  I was going to buy a Canon (very expensive ink).  It’s so funny, I had the Epson Rep and the Canon Rep there helping me, but ended up coming home with an HP.  This one is working ok.  The last two that I had for years had lousy color printing.  They always had a stripy effect with lighter, darker horizontal lines.

I bet printers are like PCs, and sewing machines, some are made for mass market (big box store cheap junk) and some are made for business and are higher quality.
Cas

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 8:58 PM

After being happy with HP printers, I bought an Epson as they had great ratings at the time and the printer I bought was supposed to be the best.  Well, the ink turned out to be crazy expensive and the printer died on day 366.  One day out of warranty (unbelievable but now I know to use a charge card that doubles the warranty period).  Couldn't even give it away to someone who might fix it and use it- no one wanted it for free. 
I still needed a flatbed printer but had kept our old HP Officejet K80.  One tech told me that the OfficeJet was great on ink and it's true. Anyway I bought another HP with a flatbed and have had it for about 4 years now with no problems- it's also not as ink-hungry as the Epson was.  So I'm inclined to stick with HP but I guess there are good and bad ones in every brands just like sewing machines!   The new HP is wireless (have now learned that "wireless" means whenever it feels like being wireless) and we've kept the old HP too as my husband prints more frequently and so he uses that one. 
One thing I do remember from looking at reviews of printers is that there is no one printer that everyone loves.  Actually it's very hard to find a review of anything that is universally loved.  I usually read the one star reviews to find out what people didn't like and what went wrong but it's still not fool-proof!
Ceil

cas <cas@...>

Wow, Brother printers received reader’s choice award 7 years in a row!  Definitely a good recommendation.  Thanks Vikki.
From Brother website:
“Brother continues to impress the consumer and business readers of PC Magazine. For 2015, the publication has again named Brother both its Readers' Choice Award and Business Choice Award winner for printers. This is the seventh year in a row Brother has won Readers’ Choice honors, and the third straight year for the Business Choice Award.”

While looking for the reviews at PC world I see ASUS is number one laptop, and Acer is number 3.
I finally find it and Brother is number one and two in Wireless, and number 1 over all inkjet.

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 8:50 PM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] New Computer recommendations

I have had and still have Brother printers. Even the cheapest ones will allow you to single feed sheets into them. I just open up the bottom drawer and move it out a bit so that the stored paper doesn’t get printed. I usually used it to print single sided card stock for dog show arm bands. Yes, I’m weird! I replaced the original cheapest model when the drum went out and I couldn’t find a replacement for it anywhere. That was about 7 years ago. Since then I bought  another one. The Wi-Fi circuit crapped out after 4 years, but I can hook it to a computer and use it as a shared printer. Have printed many a card stock arm band and catalog cover on it since then! I do have a couple of HP printers. One that has the Fax machine goes to sleep on me, so I have to jump thru hoops to get it to wake up. Finally quit jumping thru hoops and unplugged and replugged the power cable into the printer. HP know about this, but hasn’t done anything to fix it –typical!

Vikki

Houston, TX

Cas

Mary E

MarieD

Cat - N

Brother printer quality does not surprise me.  Epson, Kodak, Canon, and some others you may never have heard of were all very good though maybe less common now.  HP doesn't compare in many cases but the brand is well known.  At one point I tested color laser printers using the same graphic image...one I created...and HP didn't come close to the quality of the printout, or toner economy.  HP didn't have a single model that made my list based on specs and print test alone.  What happened was that the company owner and my supervisor noticed that HP was conspiculously missing.  I explained why.  Guess what they wanted me to buy?  You got it...an HP!  Higher cost by a small amount...half the specs...higher priced toner...more frequent purchase necessary...egads!  LOL  Oh yes, then they complained about the cost of toners, and told people NOT to print color unless absolutely necessary...hahaha

I have personally owned had lots of different brands (no Kodak...yet) of printers over the years, and worked with even more brands professionally.  The quality of Brother does not surprise me for several reason but one reason is because I used to work for Centronics Data Computer Corp., who invented the parallel printer interface.  Our engineers designed the artwork, but we sent it to Brother in Japan for manufacturing.  Two models that we sold with a Centronics logo were Brother printers...not designed by Centronics.  I actually owned both of them, which I got when I worked for Centronics.  But, as I understood it from the eningeers (my friends) who designed our printers, features that we designed were incorporated into Brother products as well.  I am certain this was a contractual arrangement.  I still have gifts from Brother employees that they brought me from Japan when they came to the USA.

- Cat

To: janome12000
Sent: Sat, May 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Wow, Brother printers received reader’s choice award 7 years in a row!  Definitely a good recommendation.  Thanks Vikki.
From Brother website:
“Brother continues to impress the consumer and business readers of PC Magazine. For 2015, the publication has again named Brother both its Readers' Choice Award and Business Choice Award winner for printers. This is the seventh year in a row Brother has won Readers’ Choice honors, and the third straight year for the Business Choice Award.”

While looking for the reviews at PC world I see ASUS is number one laptop, and Acer is number 3.
I finally find it and Brother is number one and two in Wireless, and number 1 over all inkjet.

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 8:50 PM
Subject: RE: [janome12000] New Computer recommendations

Vikki
Houston, TX

Cas

Mary E

MarieD