New Computer recommendations

suerevere@ymail.com

I need to replace my PC laptop. Am Apple user but keep PC laptop for Digitzer, ArtNstitch, HQ ProStitcher Sim -- other PC software. Do not like running PC emulators on MacBook Pro (been there - done that-- not for me anymore).

Any recommendations? I have had Dells but am wondering what people are really liking these days???

Thanks - input is greatly appreciated.

[Recommendations based on web reviews]

Most of the PC manufacturers are in a race for the bottom, using low price as their primary motivator. The "big box" stores usually push HP, whose computers are marvels of plastic covered trash. Hewlett and Packard are likely to cause an earthquake from the spinning in their respective graves. Dell has had some scandals related to defective parts that they kept hidden, seriously damaging the luster of the brand. At this stage Asus and Acer seem to be the best PC manufacturers. If you don't find them locally you can buy either online at Amazon or Newegg.

suerevere@ymail.com

Thanks for the feedback. I am going for an Acer or Asus -- I haven't adored by Dell in a long time and never have been able to be smitten with an HP in the last many years.

Patricia Ward

I have an ASUS laptop and love it. So does my son.  Also our friend who owns a computer business for selling and repair as well as setting up businesses in accounts and networks recommends either Acer or Asus and sells both.

See, Jim was right on the money again!

Pat

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:06 AM, srevere@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

I'm interested in this topic too as my Dell with Vista has a little hissy fit just about every day now.  I usually buy AND USE the three year contract so that I can call and get help if needed.  Plus it seems that if something is going to go wrong, it goes wrong on the 366th day (I actually had this happen with a printer).  Does anyone know if such contracts are available for the Acer or Asus?  I can't find that information on their site.  Also, any thoughts on a gaming computer with VR becoming more and more popular?  I usually keep my computer for about 10 years.
Thanks,
Ceil

[Never having used a computer for 10 years, Jim struggles to reply.]
Service contracts are normally very high profit items for retailers. Most stores offer them, and for laptops they are not necessarily a bad idea. Laptops get schlepped around, bumped and bruised and they are very expensive to work on. However most service contracts will not go beyond 3 years. Usually by the time a computer is 10 years old it's hard to find even software that will run on it. Just look at how much Windows has changed in 10 years! We're still in the infancy of Virtual Reality (VR), so I wouldn't be investing heavily in it just yet.

cas <cas@...>

That’s good to know about Asus and Acer.  I love my HP desktop but I’ve had it for probably 12 years and their quality must have really gone down.  I’ve replaced the fan motor once, but that’s ok since it’s been on continually the whole time.  It’s a huge Media Center PC and I’ve totally reconfigured it with a different video card, etc.  That used to be a big deal watching TV on the PC.  I’m waiting as long as possible to buy a new desktop.  I was bummed I had to put Windows 7 on it.  XP was great and I never had issues with it.

Come to think of it my laptop, an old HP Pavillion has been running great and it’s “100 yrs.” old.  Actually, I don’t know how old it is, I bought it on ebay.  It is older style with a nice 17” screen and full keyboard with number pad.   It had Vista on it, I put Win 7 on it.   My newer HP Sleekbook had the motherboard replaced within 6 months (under warranty) and then crashed again and I had to put a new hard drive in it.  I got rid of all the original settings and installed Win 7 on that too.  It had Win 8 on it.  What a piece of junk.  It sits in the drawer and I’m just using the hard drive on it for backup.

I always thought Asus and Acer were knock-off brands or whatever you call it.  At least there are some affordable options out there.
Cas

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] New Computer recommendations

[...]

Cat - N

Cas,

ASUS is definitely not a 'knock off' brand...LOL  ASUS has been making some of the best mainboards, etc. for a lot of years. In the machines that we built here, when we were building high end machines for graphics and processing power (before the 'gaming industry' started full steam) for ourselves and others, ASUS was generally our first choice for the mainboard.  Between two 'otherwise equal' boards, ASUS would usually win unless there was a substantial cost saving with no apparent quality loss.  I think there may have been a (very) few occasions when there were 'reasons' that ASUS wouldn't do, but I cannot remember specifics off the top.

Acer has also been around for a very long time.  There have been some models that were troublesome, in my experience, but generally, they were a good, solid machine.  It is not uncommon for a good 'brand' to build a 'bad' machine or model...it depends on whether or not they get good components to solder in under the hood...LOL  (Dell does not "build" machines, BTW...never have...they only contract with companies that do, and put the Dell logo on the machines instead of their own. I have never bought or recommended a Dell.)

I built almost all of my personal desktop computers since 1980, so my experience with brands is largely 'professional' and companies often buy for volume cost rather than quality.  HP 'business class' machines...the 'workstation class' machines were pretty good.  They came with 3-year warranties and were sold through 'business partner' companies, but you could buy them as an individual, too....CDW, PC Connection, Global, etc.  The low end machines...the 'retail' models that were sold in office supply and 'box' stores, like Pavillion, were a 'crap shoot'...you might get a good one...or not...LOL   Often they would run like crazy, then just quit...LOL  It was the same with Compaq (high end vs low end), and some of the HP machines are the former Compaq models.  Today's retail machines are still a crap shoot IMHO...maybe crappier than ever, sadly...LOL

My hubby has an ASUS 'gaming' laptop.  I have an MSI (another good brand) 'gaming' laptop.  Both were pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 (no comment...LOL)  He games...I don't but I need graphics power, so, the machines we choose are due to quality, components, design...stuff like that.  I would recommend either brand, but even saying that, I look for RAM, HD, ports, CPU, graphics adapter...stuff like that...not brand per se.  It is just that certain brands make the machines in a way more to my liking and value their reputation highly, even if they don't advertise as widely.

- Cat

Teressa Sisemore

Jim, I toy with getting an inexpensive Windows laptop just for my sewing software, designs & Digitizer Pro. What specs do you recommend for tray purpose? Teressa

[Is there an echo in the room?]

cas <cas@...>

Thanks Cat!  It’s nice to have another recommendation for ASUS.   For me and the OP.   I’ve been dreading buying a new desktop knowing that you’re right, it’s a crap shoot!  I’ve rarely heard of Asus.  That’s how often I shop for computers.  I have heard of Acer though.

I think whoever was making business machines for Dell was doing a good job because I’ve used them at several jobs, one of which was Norton, and at college.  They never seemed to crash.  I even bought a retired Dell tower on ebay and it’s still working,  Husband has it at work, in 100 degree shop some days.  Poor guy.  But I digress.
Cas

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:43 AM

[...]

Hahaha
I ment minimal memory, ram... all that PC crap that we used to worry about. Guess it doesn't matter any more?
I'm sure a terabyte is plenty. 😜

[Jim showers frequently to remove all that PC crap!]
RAM - More is ALWAYS better. For Windows 4GB is a bare minimum, 8GB is better. Hard drives are cheap, so 1TB is almost standard and is adequate for our needs. However I prefer using a Solid State Drive (SSD), as they are 20-30 times faster. Prices are coming down, so a 500GB SSD is about the same as a 1TB HD. Very cheap laptops will usually offer only hard drives. Otherwise they wouldn't be cheap.

MarieD

I bought an Acer a few months ago. It's the best laptop I've ever had. My
two previous HPs were less than satisfactory.

MarieD