Patchwork Exercise in Workbook

cas <cas@...>

I’m still going through the workbook and trying to learn.  I think the directions are incorrect on pg. 56.  They tell you to sew triangles together and the picture is a diamond and it makes more sense to do the exercise with a diamond.  Instead of marking the corner where the seams meet they draw a line across the width of the diamond.  I didn’t understand the point of that either.   The video wouldn’t load and it says perhaps it has been removed.  I know it’s a video for the Clear Foot but I was hoping they would show the same exercise.

Anyhow, Diane has a lovely directions to piece together a star using Y seams in the My15000 app, within the Patchwork video, so I did that.

Is there any trick to not having your thread from balling up at the beginning of a seam?  I usually use a header and footer when I’m piecing but sometimes you have to start within a piece, like in the above exercise.  I start with needle down.  I end up with thread snarls under the cloth.  I use the straight stitch plate and that helps keep the fabric from going down the hole.

Thanks and happy Spring everyone!
Cas

Like David Copperfield, Diane has a few tricks for the sewing room:
The reason you get the snarl at the start of the seam is because of the loose thread ends, which tend to knot up. Before you start do needle-down and needle-up to pull up those loose ends and hold them until you have taken a couple of stitches.

kmurphy1@bellsouth.net

Having a problem loading a design from my stick to my Janome15000, deleted some designs thinking it was overloaded, still will not load. Have already loaded some from this stic same kind of design. Help! Kathy Kmurphy1@... Sent from my iPad

Straining to see your machine from his chair, Jim gives up and puts forth some questions:
First, and most importantly, what is happening when you try to open the design? Do you not see it on the screen, even after using the arrows to look in the various folders? Do you get an error message when you touch the design? If so, what is the message? Is this a purchased design? Some designers use software to create JEF designs, and the software doesn't always get it right. In such cases the machine may refuse to even show the design on the screen.

Not to pick on Kathy, who is already suffering, but for anyone who needs assistance: "Having a problem" just doesn't give us anything to work with. It's the equivalent of saying "When do I add the eggs?". The number of possibilities is so large that it's pretty much impossible to offer anything constructive. Since our conversations here are more or less one-sided with long pauses in between, the more detail you can provide about a problem, the better the odds of getting useful advice. Unless I'm answering, in which case the term "useful" is pretty doubtful.

cas <cas@...>

Thanks.  It will go in the “why didn’t I remember that” section of my brain.  It’s a big section, lol!  I had to do that every time with my class machine, it would make a huge mess.