HowJanome Dealer Sent My Machine Home After Service

Cat - N

I am just in shock.  What would you do if you took your Janome embroidery machine to a Janome dealer because it was not embroidering correctly, and asked for it to be checked along with an annual service and cleaning?  This is a machine which has gone to this dealer before for top thread being wrapped around the bobbin, and thread nesting in the bobbin case.This dealer has blamed me and everything 'but' an issue with the machine on every occasion I have asked for the issues to be looked into, and I do not expect it to e free service, but I do expect an honest and fair assessment, and NOT to be talked down to and reprimanded when I say the machine 'just isn't right' yet.  This dealer 'hopes' to sell me my 15000, too.

I wanted to use it this weekend...I couldn't finish the baby onsies for my soon-to-arrive grandson and wanted to get them done.  Now I am torn between having to wait and let hubby take it back Monday...and not getting to go myself, or just 'chalking it up' to this 'service' which has become 'typical' of this dealer, sadly...in my experience, anyway.

My question is serious, though...what...would YOU do?

- Cat

oddduck25

I would call Janome directly and complain about that dealer. It's possible you got a lemon. In the meantime, have you ever tried a different bobbin case? I ask because mine have never been hit, dropped, damaged in any way, but I started getting nests and shredded top thread too frequently. I ordered a new yellow dot case, and that has literally solved everything. I still don't know why the old one stopped doing the trick, but it's undeniable that it was the problem. IF you're still willing to go back to that dealer, demand he try a medium sized design with a brand new, unwrapped in front of you, bobbin case. If that solves it, then at least your machine will work again.

Pam Davison

Also contact Janome directly.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Cheryl Paul

Hi Cat

Firstly, I wouldn't allow the dealer to talk DOWN to me.  Also, if you take your husband in with you, there is someone in your ball park to stick up for you.  The dealer may also be less inclined to make it appear to be "your fault" that the machine isn't working right.  It really makes me angry when I hear that "the customer is wrong", because that isn't the case.  We may sometimes not understand the correct threading, or getting the bobbin case in correctly, but before one is blamed, it should be established that what is being done is not correct.  Just KNOW that you aren't wrong.  If you have a choice let your dealer know that you are very unhappy and you have another choice for purchasing your next machine and that it isn't HIM/HER.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

---In janome12000@..., <navillusc@...> wrote :

[...]

stilljustjudy@...

Ouch!

Bad enough to have a machine that's not working, but to have onesies to sew and not be able to get them sewn borders on torturous!  I'm so sorry this happened to you!  I like my dealer, but the first assumption is still that *I* have done something wrong to cause the trouble.  It's never the machine's fault.  That's a peeve!

The thought of having to take my husband or another advocate in with me saddens me since the dealers are there for service to those of us who added to their profits by purchasing machines from them....

Strategy advice: Mare sure YOU initiate the conversation by sharing your expertise and knowledge on the issue.  Take your manual in with you to show the limited Janome information you've had access to, and maybe show some print-outs from this group to let the tech person know you have done your research.  The question I'd then ask the dealer might go something like this: "Do you think the new threader part might be the solution for us on this recurrent problem?"

I spent HOURS over a couple of weeks troubleshooting the needle threader with the manual and the Janome site. I then found this group.  When I went into the dealer, I shared how I had seen discussions online about others having the same problem.  While I didn't get blamed using this proactive approach, I didn't get the needle threader fixed either.

The dealer seemed to think the fix would be  on-spot simple, but after about 30 minutes, the tech called out an assistant, and neither of them could make the needle threader  work!  I left my machine, picked it up the next day, supposedly fixed, but it still didn't work.

Another trip to the dealer is in my near future.  I've procrastinated this for weeks since I too need my machine to finish stuff I'm making for the grands!  This time I will call first and present the information Jim shared about the new part so they can get on top of this before I drop my machine off:

Also note that they have very quietly replaced the part of the threader that holds the thread (862627005) with one that holds it more securely. Your dealer may not know about that, and can order the part and install it for you.

Should it really be so unpleasant to take a machine under warranty in for service????

Judy B

---In janome12000@..., <capaul@...> wrote :

[...]

Oh nooo...I hope they do get it fixed for you.

You would think that you could ask a professional to investigate an issue, then fix what is found, but more and more, and not just with sewing machines, I find it not to be the case.  I am really saddened to see all the trouble others have had.  I have to admit to a bit of concern about the same kind of issues happening when I get my 15000.  I understand thread shredding can happen on any machine...the tension discs etc. will need cleaning.

When his manager demo'd the 15000 to hubby and me, I told them we were 'making the rounds'...i.e., going to see Babylock, Pfaff, and possibly Brother if there was time left after seeing the Janome.  Videos are only so good helping you decide what you want when you have NO IDEA what you need or want.  LOL

However, when I first took in the 11000 'practice' machine, this guy seemed to 'take it personally' that he didn't sell it to me...or that he didn't sell me the 15000 (yet)...or that's the feeling I got...like I took food from his newborn's mouth.  He was quite 'forceful' in quizzing me about WHERE the machine came from!  If that's what it was all about, it could be bad news for him because how he treats me now with this 'practice' machine results in where I get my next machine...not the other way round...LOL  I am 62 so will not be working for sure in 3 years, at which time, driving to a much larger city with a Janome 'dealer bound' will be a fun day trip for me...and maybe even sooner than that.

I am willing to accept that I can absolutely mess up.  I try NOT to, but for goodness sake...check first, find the problem, fix it...then smack my knuckles for being stupid and I will be guilted into being better next time so as to NOT hurt my machine.  LOL

Here are the two onsies I did go ahead and give my daughter-in-law and son for my grandson to spill food and upchuck on.  I did the  Dino Baby first, and since no one knew what it was supposed to look like, I let it go.  I absolutely love the little cross-eyed begging puppy, and the border is better on it.  The onsie after it is still in my 5x7 Acufil hoop, and I have one more of the 6-month size, and 8 more of the 18 month size to do.

- Cat

[...]

Thank you, everyone.  I appreciate your views and your thinking on this.  I have other choices, but they are a lot further away...like 90-100 or so miles further, and it will have to be Saturday visits for that, at least for right now.

My hubby was with actually me the first time I took the machine in, but his presence didn't matter.  He was not 'nice' to his vacuum customer couple either...he walked away from us to go help them.  They were a bit older than us, but they left without buying anything.  I did buy a new bobbin case...

To be sure, I do not take a machine to the dealer unless I believe it needs a technician's touch, and I support the local businesses as much as possible.  I am deciding my next move but contacting Janome is not out of the question.

Thank you again...so much!!!

- Cat

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_20160319_124549.jpg

.

Theresa Turnbull

I had a terrible problem with a dealer here in the UK who 18 months ago took my 12000 for repair and basically refused to give it back, this went on for some weeks until I got Janome UK involved who managed to retrieve my machine fix it and return it to me.
The dealer in question is no longer permitted to sell any Janome products at all, so definitely refer any dealer problems to Janome because what they don’t know about they can’t fix.
Theresa
Southern England