15000 Workbook Applique Sampler

cas <cas@...>

Whoever is working through the workbook, I have a question.

I just finished the Applique Sampler and on page 40 are the finishing instructions.

I’m wondering why they want us to use Q4?  It’s a slow, heavy stitch and it seems to me that a straight stitch would suffice, since the stitching won’t be seen when the project is complete.  Also, step 20 says to use Reverse to secure the ends of the seam and that is not possible with Q4.   I just spun mine around and sewed back a few stitches.  Maybe it’s just so we experiment with different stitches.

In any case, that is a neat trick to make the self binding edge.  You use a 2” wider piece of fabric, same length as the front for the backing, and sew along both side seams, right sides together.  You sew across the bottom.  This makes a couple of pleats on the bottom, so when you turn the project right side out the binding is already there.  Then you just fold the top under and sew it down.  Seems like a nice little shortcut for wall hangings or other small quilts like mug rugs.

I’m having fun working through the book.  I always used the applique app and the quilting app and never really thought about using any of the unique stitches available in the Applique and Quilting section of Decorative stitches.

Cas

Linda Rayburn

I'm working my way through the book too and learning some tricks along the way. I didn't make the sampler exactly as described fusing all those little strips together, instead I used a striped cotton fabric and sewed each qpplique stitch along a stripe.
Regarding Reverse you just want to touch it and it will lock the stitch in place and cut the thread, Give it a try again and you'll see what I mean.  I liked the binding trick too.
I really liked using the Border Guide Foot from page 34 & 35. All Brands sells just about every Janome foot there is at very reasonable prices.

Happy Sewing!
Linda

cas <cas@...>

Yes, reverse stitch locks the stitches, but I didn’t want to do that at the beginning of the seam as it cuts the thread, so I thought it was odd the book said to use it on both ends of the seam.

It is fun learning new tricks.  That border guide foot would be helpful.  I’m thrilled when I already have the part the book is trying to sell me, I don’t have that one yet, lol.

Cas

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 2:42 PM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: 15000 Workbook Applique Sampler

I'm working my way through the book too and learning some tricks along the way. I didn't make the sampler exactly as described fusing all those little strips together, instead I used a striped cotton fabric and sewed each qpplique stitch along a stripe.

Regarding Reverse you just want to touch it and it will lock the stitch in place and cut the thread, Give it a try again and you'll see what I mean.  I liked the binding trick too.
I really liked using the Border Guide Foot from page 34 & 35. All Brands sells just about every Janome foot there is at very reasonable prices.

Happy Sewing!
Linda

Cheryl Paul

Cas, I think that when you start your row, you’ll see that it automatically locks the stitch and to finish you touch the reverse button and it locks again.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

audrey chase <Contessa@...>

Anyone know if I can buy this workbook in the UK please?

Judy Jackson <judy.j282@...>

I emailed Janome uk and asked that question, answer was no! I have found it on Amazon but it would come from America. Not sure if it's worth it.........any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad

On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:01, 'audrey chase' Contessa@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Anyone know if I can buy this workbook in the UK please?

cas <cas@...>

Ok, thanks Cheryl,
So it’s just an error in the book.  I wasn’t sure if it was locking at the beginning or not.  Some of the stitches seem to just start without locking but I guess they all lock unless they require reverse, like straight stitch and a few other utility stitches?
Cas

Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 6:20 PM

Cas, I think that when you start your row, you’ll see that it automatically locks the stitch and to finish you touch the reverse button and it locks again.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

cas <cas@...>

I don’t think it would be worth the expense to ship it from America.  I’m enjoying it because I’m fairly new to all things sewing related and to sewing machines with so many features.

Cas

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 8:04 AM

I emailed Janome uk and asked that question, answer was no! I have found it on Amazon but it would come from America. Not sure if it's worth it.........any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad

On 2 Mar 2016, at 09:01, 'audrey chase' Contessa@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Anyone know if I can buy this workbook in the UK please?

Anne Parker

I vaguely remember seeing a workbook available for the 12000 - don't know if it's available in UK or exactly what's in it, but I seem to remember thinking it might be useful - and since there are many things similar, just maybe the buttons/icons are in slightly different places on both machines it might be worth looking at.

Anyone every bought/used the 12000 workbook?

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham

audrey chase <Contessa@...>

I bought this workbook (I live in the Uk) when I first owned my 12000 – I have since upgraded to the 15000 and have sold the wookbook.

I found it so useful for learning the machine. That’s why I want the one for the 15000, but apparently us in the Uk won’t be getting it.

How bonkers is that?

juanita crosland

Hi i am getting the 1500 this month and would like to know if you are happy with yours as i love machine embroidery have been doing it for 10 yrs now but changed to a pfaff now that janome has a bigger hoop i am happy to get another