9mm Janome Guide Foot


Anne Parker
 

I've been notified about this foot by the Canadian Janome Life blog - great blog.
https://janomelife.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/brand-new-just-arrived-sliding-guide-foot-for-9mm-machine-models/

I've actually been thinking about buying the 7mm foot for my 15000, since I don't like the cloth guide and have a 7mm foot holder for the machine.  This will then actually fit all my other low shabk machines, rather than just having the 9mm that only fits the 9mm high shank machines.

Or does someone know if there are 9mm foot holders for low shank machines?  In fact are there any 9mm low shank machines? No and no, at least from Janome. Sorry!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham

 


Patricia Ward
 

Anne, I saw that today as well on her blog. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if he has them or can get them...  I too do not like the cloth guide and don't use it.  In fact I have used layers of masking tape on my machine to guide a wider seam   This looks nice for the times when you want a 1 inch seam which I will use in some of the outdoor pillow cover construction I do.  

I do not have the 7 mm foot holder but still do have my 11000.  However, I do prefer to use this 9mm one and use it on my 15000 which has me so spoiled.  

Pat 

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:


I've been notified about this foot by the Canadian Janome Life blog - great blog.
https://janomelife.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/brand-new-just-arrived-sliding-guide-foot-for-9mm-machine-models/

I've actually been thinking about buying the 7mm foot for my 15000, since I don't like the cloth guide and have a 7mm foot holder for the machine.  This will then actually fit all my other low shabk machines, rather than just having the 9mm that only fits the 9mm high shank machines.

Or does someone know if there are 9mm foot holders for low shank machines?  In fact are there any 9mm low shank machines? No and no, at least from Janome. Sorry!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham

 




Pru Joy
 

Hi, I also saw that but it is still only suitable for continuous straight stitching, like the auto cloth guide, so I hardly use it.  Yes that auto cloth guide does seem to take up too much space, not the seam allowance that you set.

🌹🌻🌺🍄🌼🌞🌙🌏❄⚡☁🍃🌷🌸💐🐎🐈🐕🐅🐬🐟🐄🐏🐝🐛🐌🐥🐢🐍🐜🌲



🌹🌻🌺🍄🌼🌞🌙🌏❄⚡☁🍃🌷🌸💐🐎🐈🐕🐅🐬🐟🐄🐏🐝🐛🐌🐥🐢🐍🐜🌲

27 He (Jesus) answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’"



Anne Parker
 

Had a feeling the answer was going to be no to both questions - and I expect for other makes as well :0(

I find the cloth guide either gets in the way, or it isn't quite where I want it - I like a guide right next to the right side of the foot so there is no way that the fabric can veer off.

One of my very favourite guides is a really simple one - the old Singer seam guide - you can see it in use in the second photo here - https://sewingtales.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/needles-and-my-singer-12/

It fits the 15000 and I really recommend it.  I set it by putting a ruler under the presser foot, lower the needle to check that the ruler is in the right place, lower the presser foot to hold the ruler, and then just snug up the guide to the ruler and screw in place.  You can use any screw that comes with any of the other accessories or the one with the guide fits too - if you feel it's not quite tight enough to stop it moving just insert a washer over the top of the guide so the screw goes through both and is able to tighten up.  You can buy them on ebay for a few pounds. :0)

Of course with the new foot you have all the measurements there and can change them easily, but you still don't have that solid barrier on the right hand side which prevents the fabric from veering off.  I find even on feet with guides the guides can bend a little though the guide on this one looks more robust.

One thing I am wondering with this foot though is about the 2 bars going across to the guide - is there a limit to the thickness of fabric that will go under them.  If your pressing down on thicker fabric with the foot will the over hanging bit lift up a bit and get caught - just curious.  I guess I am just going to have to buy the foot to find out! :0)

Gosh all these attachments and feet - will need another life time to experiment!

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham

 


Lucy Akers
 

Which machines are 9mm and which are 7mm?

7mm: The Memory Craft 11000 and all models that preceded it.

9mm: The 8200, 8900, 9900, 12000, 14000, 15000 and all SkyLine models.


Meryl Margolies
 

I have a 12000 and scant 1/4" seams are a constant challenge for me. I think I would love this foot, but am I right in reading that it is not available for 9mm machines? Would I want the 7mm? Or would that clear OV foot I looked at do the trick for me. I really mostly quilt and embroider. Thanks for the input.


Oh...one more question  I have an original Viking D1, which I still use for paper piecing and small projects when I don't want to change over from embroidery on my Janome. I have a ruffle foot for that machine. Is there a chance I could use it on my Janome?


Don't know where you got the idea that OV is a 7mm foot. Foot OV, part #202089005, is a 9mm foot. The 7mm version is the Clear View Quilting Foot and Guide Set, part #200449001. You have a 9mm machine, so you should ALWAYS get 9mm feet. If the foot you need/want is not available in 9mm then you can use a 7mm foot ONLY if you have a 7mm high shank foot holder to attach it to.


It's doubtful that your Viking ruffler would work on your 12000. Viking feet are very different and it most likely would not line up with the needle hole. Some rufflers are adjustable and you might be able to hack it to work. However there is an equally good chance that doing so would cause damage to your machine that is not covered by warranty. I'm not sure it's worth the risk to save 0.8% of the price of your machine for a ruffler!


Irene Holland
 

The picture of the foot on the blog  https://janomelife.wordpress.com/2016/03/01/brand-new-just-arrived-sliding-guide-foot-for-9mm-machine-models/ appears to have a 9 mm opening and the blog author mentions decorative embellishments in addition to straight stitching. So, my question - why is it only suitable for continuous straight stitching?

Irene

Check out the hole where the needle goes through. It goes from the center to the right, for width adjustment. Trying to zig zag with it would break the foot.


Patricia Ward
 

Getting the scant 1/4" seam... This is how I get it on my 15K

Home key-- tshirt key-- patchwork key

O foot and set the stitch width over to 8.9    Works perfectly each time for me.

I would think that would be more accurate than using that new SG foot would work as well for the scant 1/4" seam; I would think that would be easier to use for larger width seams. 

Pat

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:45 AM, merylm@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:


I have a 12000 and scant 1/4" seams are a constant challenge for me. I think I would love this foot, but am I right in reading that it is not available for 9mm machines? Would I want the 7mm? Or would that clear OV foot I looked at do the trick for me. I really mostly quilt and embroider. Thanks for the input.


Oh...one more question  I have an original Viking D1, which I still use for paper piecing and small projects when I don't want to change over from embroidery on my Janome. I have a ruffle foot for that machine. Is there a chance I could use it on my Janome?


Don't know where you got the idea that OV is a 7mm foot. Foot OV, part #202089005, is a 9mm foot. The 7mm version is the Clear View Quilting Foot and Guide Set, part #200449001. You have a 9mm machine, so you should ALWAYS get 9mm feet. If the foot you need/want is not available in 9mm then you can use a 7mm foot ONLY if you have a 7mm high shank foot holder to attach it to.


It's doubtful that your Viking ruffler would work on your 12000. Viking feet are very different and it most likely would not line up with the needle hole. Some rufflers are adjustable and you might be able to hack it to work. However there is an equally good chance that doing so would cause damage to your machine that is not covered by warranty. I'm not sure it's worth the risk to save 0.8% of the price of your machine for a ruffler!





ceilsews <no_reply@...>
 

Waiting for the dust to settle on this one as I agree with Irene.  It looks like you could zigzag. :)


Jim Stutsman
 

Scratch that - this came in right after a post about the OV foot and my reply applies to only the OV foot. The Sliding Guide foot works just fine for decorative stitching. Our 7mm video shows it being used for decorative stitches. I think they are saying it is suitable for continuous rows of straight stitching, but not just for that function alone.


Anne Parker
 

Thanks for the clarification Jim - the blog does mention moving the needle to get various widths of seams and using the foot for Heirloom sewing which is one of my 'things' and I can see it being useful for sewing evenly spaced pin tucks, and several rows of hemstitching that you want to be acurately spaced.

At the bottom of the post the blog gives the details for both the 7mm and 9mm feet. The 9mm one is the new one out.

Sorry if I confused anyone by saying I wanted to use the 7mm on the 9mm 15000.  My reason for this was that  the 7mm one will fit the shanks on all my other machines which are all low shank.  The 9mm one would slide around a bit as the pin, left to right, where the foot attaches is wider than on a 7mm foot and I would probably encounter issues with the foot not being lined up with the feed dogs - hence my question about a low shank foot holder for 9mm feet.  It seems there isn't one.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham


Meryl Margolies
 

Thanks. I ordered the 9mm OV foot, and I would NEVER risk my machine on a lark. That's probably why I ask dumb questions. I believe in the measure twice, cut once theory of life


Meryl Margolies
 

When do we think that Sliding foot will be available in the U.S.?


songnbird
 

Wow! the Singer guide does work on my Janome 15000. I never liked the Janome guide as it doesn't allow for going around curves. For some reason I saved all my 1960's Singer feet and attachments; now I know why. Thanks!
Linda near Buffalo, NY


Cheryl Paul
 

It probably is already. Just contact a Janome Dealer and order it.


Cheryl - Saskatoon


Irene Holland
 

I just checked w/ my dealer. They called Janome U.S. and were told the foot was not available yet in the U.S. and that there was not date yet for the release.

Irene


cas <cas@...>
 

That’s great, I liked it when I looked at Anne’s picture.  I bet I could get one on eBay.  I have stick on ones from Nancy’s Notions.  http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/6-in-1-stick-n-stitch-guide-clover.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3t-2BRCKivi-suDY24gBEiQAX1wiXLRi1Oq7-Ql97AioF2vJxCwro0O-DUEsTPZKTjUUbBIaAmK88P8HAQ
 
I don’t have a big screw though.  Anne, did you say I can use the screw off the cloth guide?  I don’t use the cloth guide because my machine is recessed with a custom insert and the embroidery unit is not attached.  I don’t see how the Singer metal guide is adjusted for different widths though.
Cas
 
 

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2016 4:55 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: 9mm Janome Guide Foot
 
 

Wow! the Singer guide does work on my Janome 15000. I never liked the Janome guide as it doesn't allow for going around curves. For some reason I saved all my 1960's Singer feet and attachments; now I know why. Thanks!
Linda near Buffalo, NY


Anne Stoye
 

And I emailed Janome UK, who told me that they expected it to be available in about 3 weeks’ time but they did not yet know the price.  They will email me again when it is available (and I will tell you when they do).

 

Anne

 


Anne Parker
 

Cas

The Janome cloth guide doesn't have a screw - it attaches to the embroidery unit.

The screws I was talking about are those you may have if you have bought any other screw attached Janome attachments such as the circular sewing guide or binder.   Or you can purchase an additional presser foot screw since the hole in the bed is the same size - try your foot screw to see how it fits.  Though when you purchase the Singer seam guide that usually comes with a screw anyway which should fit, but do check as you don't want to ruin the screw hole in your needle plate.

The guide slides left and right to whatever distance away from the needle you need.  When you have it where you want it you just tighten the screw down.  It doesn't of course give you as many options and distance from the needle as the cloth guide.

In order to set it I put a quilting ruller under the presser foot and check to see that the needle will drop on the mark that will give me the seam width I want - so if I want a 1 inch seam I set the ruler under the foot with the needle touching the 1 in mark from the edge of the ruler - put the presser foot down to hold the ruler firmly in place - butt the seam guide hard up to the side of the ruler and tighten the screw and then remove the ruler.

You can also angle the Singer guide diagonally so you have a point to feed the fabric too when you are going round a curve

I think the new Janome guide foot will be useful for when you want to sew several rows of stitching next to each other and keep them straight without having to mark the fabric - you can't do that with the Singer guide. - I think it would be more accurate than using a quilting guide bar.


Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94302460@N03/sets/

"Live like someone left the gate open". Kimberly Burnham

 


Judy Jackson <judy.j282@...>
 

Thy probably have been inundated with emails from us all! X

Sent from my iPad

On 4 Mar 2016, at 10:38, 'Anne Stoye' annestoye@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

 

And I emailed Janome UK, who told me that they expected it to be available in about 3 weeks’ time but they did not yet know the price.  They will email me again when it is available (and I will tell you when they do).

 

Anne