HEATHER COWAN

I love my Reliable iron.  Separate steam plant so takes a minute to get hot but then it is amazing for the steam.
Heather

On Feb 24, 2016, at 8:17 AM, jmsmoker@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

J Fraker

I have a Rowenta 1700 watt iron that I bought at Lowe's about three years ago.  I love it, have used it a lot. It heats quickly, has lots of steam, and has never clogged up even though I use limestone tap water.  I've also dropped it a few times and that hasn't hurt it either.  It isn't a cheap iron, but I got lucky and caught in on sale.  Don't know if they still carry them or not.

From: "jmsmoker@... [janome12000]"
To: janome12000@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 8:46 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Reliable Iron

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

JoAnn Novak

  I have tried many brands of irons and was very disappointed.
  Couple of years ago I tried a SHARK.  I LOVE this iron.  It does what the
  advertising says.  The steam works great, does not leak and I am very
  satisfied.  So I recommend Shark.
  JoAnn

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

When I was looking for a new iron I read many reviews that said Rowenta irons leak.  There were so many good reviews that I bought one anyway.  I've found that they will leak if you press the steam button when the iron is "off" or not hot enough for steam.  Otherwise, it is a fantastic iron with incredible steam.  Someone gifted me a non-working "professional" steam station similar, but older than this one: Amazon.com - Rowenta DG84 Pro Precision Steam Station with 400-Hole Stainless Steel Soleplate, 1800-Watt - Clothes Steam Generators

She said she wasn't good about cleaning it when it needed cleaning.  (You have to flood the inner chamber with water at the sink and drain out the residue.)  My husband had the odd but necessary tools to take the iron apart and we cleaned it and it works fine.  A steam system like this is absolutely the best in my opinion.  You have a dry iron and press the button when you want steam.  My regular Rowenta (which I seldom use now) had a lot of steam.  This can give off so much that you could use it as a humidifier for a room!  I love it, and if it fails and cannot be repaired, I will spend the cash to buy another such iron.  We have well water here so I buy distilled water.  Not sure if that's necessary but I take good care of this iron.
Some will say just buy a cheap iron and they work well and for years.  I agree but this might be like driving a Rolls after you've been driving a Smart Car!  :)

Chris House

Great topic.  Likely we've all had many. Nice to hear experiences of others and features of those irons.
Bought a German made Rowenta a few years ago, model Focus, 1700 watt. Still works just fine but it's heavy, large, gives great steam but no turn-off switch--it  auto turns off. When I'm in middle of project I have to frequently wait for it to reheat up which is annoying to me.
My favorite iron is not marketed to the sewist but to the homemaker.  Black and Decker Quick & Easy model 360.  I have had a couple of these similar models I have picked up at thrift stores. Current one found 2 years ago marked $3 but that day all items in store were 50% off.  I'm very happy with my dollar-fifty iron.  If it falls on floor by accident I won't have a heart attack thinking about the repair bill or investment loss.    It is light weight, great steam producer.  It doesn't cycle off as soon as the Rowenta. Because it's smaller too, it's easier to maneuver. Often use both irons during a project--sometimes heavy and large sole plate is best.

Vikki Youngmeyer

I buy  the cheapest one I can get from Wal-Mart or Walgreens. I usually get two-three years out of them. The last one I bought is a Rival going on 3 years now which cost me under $10 as it was a store special. I’ve had it with expensive irons. When an iron quits working, the store is only a 10 minute drive from my house and I can pick up a new one and in half an hour I’m home again ready to start working.

Vikki

Houston, TX

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

cas <cas@...>

I love my cordless Panasonic NI-WL600.  I bought it cheap at HSN.com.  It stays hot for a long time and doesn’t drip.  I’ve dropped it twice on hardwood and it still works great.  It’s shaped like a football so the only drawback is you have to return it to its base, it does not sit up on end.  I just put my base on a desk beside my ironing board, so that doesn’t bother me.  Even though it’s light and easy to maneuver it does a great job pressing seams.

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:46 AM

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

MarieD

I found that the two Rowentas I owned leaked while I was using them, and it
wasn't a question of them getting hot enough. People either love them or
hate them.

I bought the second one because I thought the first was just a leaky lemon.
Felt like a fool when it was just as bad as the first. I iron both upstairs
and down and need more than one iron.

Meanwhile, I have a Braun iron that's about 20 years old, is treated
shabbily, and still serves me as the best iron I've ever had. You can't buy
them in the States anymore, unless you're willing to adapt to their voltage.
I’m not, so I don't have a backup in case this one goes.

Marie

I've found that they will leak if you press the steam button when the iron
is "off" or not hot enough for steam.

HEATHER COWAN

Joannes when in the states and a great notion when in canada.

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:46 AM

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

Pam from Warm and Sunny Florida

I have tried several brands of irons-Rowenta, Shark and Black and Decker irons, and they all disappointed. Some leaked, spit, weren't heavy enough, etc. I started to believe I had to live with a inferior iron until I saw an ad for Reliable. Yes, that is the name of the brand. The Reliable Iron has a filter, is heavy enough without feeling like I was lifting weights, has an audible beep if close to auto shutting off and works wonderful!! It does not leak, glides well, heats evenly and has a large water tank. The model I have is the Velocity Digital Reliable Iron and would never go back. I recommend people to google it and decide from there. Good luck on you purchase, whatever it may be. Pam in Central NY

Teressa Sisemore

Thanks for bring up the iron subject and particularly the Olio. If I could have found a pink one (limited edition) I would have one now. Your experience with that brand really makes me feel better that never could locate one.
I will be reading everyone's suggestions too.

Shirley Bedard

I have found the T Fal sold at Walmart Sears and K mart to be the best there is! It steams good,  gets hot and doesn't leak. I have tried Rowenta and oliso and was not happy.  I own a quilt shop and several customers and outside teachers have asked where I got my iron because it is so nice.   I have been using it for years.

Stephanie Crafty Quilters 13221 Hwy 98     Sebring, Fl 33876 863-658-2148 craftyquilters@...

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:25 AM, "HEATHER COWAN heather-c@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...> wrote:

I love my Reliable iron.  Separate steam plant so takes a minute to get hot but then it is amazing for the steam.
Heather

On Feb 24, 2016, at 8:17 AM, jmsmoker@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good reliable iron?  I have had very poor luck with the Oliso.  After a year the buttons for spray and steam get stuck in the down position.  I contacted the manufacture and they will repair it for an outrageous amount of money.  I need an iron to work for more than a year and be able to function on a daily basis.  So what are you all using???

Conartist1945@...

I bought a Panasonic with a titanium soleplate from Amazon and I love it! I have had two Rowentas costing between 150.00 and  200.00 dollars that both died. The downside is that when I bought the Iron it was posted on a website and I bought it for around 32.00. They must have been a rush on them and when I just went and looked on Amazon that are 65.00!