Hatch Embroidery Software

Meryl Margolies

I thought I had posted, but can't find it, so I apologize if this is redundant.

This Hatch software looks interesting. I hesitate to spend just shy of $800 for MBX 5.0 (even with my dealer's discount, it's over $700). I'm wondering what the upgrade policy would be with Hatch. Does anyone know differences and similarities between Hatch and MBX? I've looked at their YouTube videos, and the program looks like it has amazing similarities to MBX.

If I were to download and try Hatch, I wouldn't lose my MBX capabilities, would I? In fact, even if I were to purchase Hatch, I could still use my MBX 4.5?

Any input would be appreciated. Message me privately if desired.

Finishing his morning coffee, Jim is awake enough to say:

The reason you didn't see your first post is because they are moderated. Nothing will go into the list until I have reviewed it. This prevents malware infection, one of which was received yesterday, as well as items sent by accident or duplicated. In this case I've allowed the duplicate so others can learn about moderation as well.

Regarding Hatch and MBX 4.5 living happily side by side, it *SEEMS* like this should work, but I can't guarantee it until I've tried it. I'll do that and report back.

Meryl Margolies

Thank you for your explanation. As a retired teacher, I marvel at the patience you exhibit with us

I look forward to your findings. I hate being held captive by a pricey software program. I had that experience before and want to try to avoid it again.

Thanks again.

Jim Stutsman

I have installed MBX 4.5 into the same Windows where I have installed Hatch. Both seem happy to live in the same box, and I was even able to open both programs at the same time without any difficulty. As always, your mileage may vary.

Meryl Margolies

Thanks for that info. I've been hesitant.

What's your take on the product vs. MBX 5.0?

With a take that usually leans toward the absurd, Jim says:

It's somewhat like driving two different brands of car. They both have the same things, but they may be in slightly different places. Comparing the two head to head:

1. Have more than one brand of embroidery machine? Advantage: Hatch

2. Want ALL the features you can get in embroidery software? Advantage: MBX V5

3. Want to start small without spending a lot, then add as you can? Advantage: Hatch

4. Want wireless connectivity with your MC15000? Advantage: MBX V5

5. Have MBX 4.x and want all the same features in an upgrade? Advantage: MBX V5

6. Need graphics software along with digitizing? Advantage: MBX V5, which includes Corel DRAW

Note that with BOTH of these programs you cannot install on as many computers as you wish. We've been told that MBX V5 allows two installations and I'm guessing that Hatch will also. This covers the case where you want to use the program on a desktop and a laptop, or a single reinstallation after a hardware failure. In cases where things aren't working right the time-honored solution has been to uninstall and reinstall, but that's not a good strategy with these products. I'm sure that Wilcom will provide a means for legitimate owners to reinstall in reasonable cases, but that will require a lot more effort than just moving a dongle from one computer to another.

Also be advised that the trial versions of both products "phone home" to authenticate and advise of time remaining. Purchased and installed products will also check for updates online. I have verified that Hatch will still function without an Internet connection, but at least one member using the trial version of V5 has had issues with crashing when an update connection cannot be established.

Andrea LaVergne

Jim are you using El Capitan, VMware with a Windows 10 Virtual machine? Andrea

Yes, El Capitan 10.11.3 with VMware Fusion 8.1.0. I have VMs for all the various versions of Windows, but I am currently mostly using Windows 10.

rosematt11@ymail.com

Maybe I am confused by Point 1. I've just started to learn MBX 5.0 but have used earlier versions. They all write files to the major machine embroidery formats as exports, including Bernina, Brother, Babylock, Elna, Husk/Viking, Pfaff, Singer, Melco and Tajima; and of course Janome. While altering or digitizing, you will work and save as an Emb or Jan file, then export to the other formats.