Modifying Koala Desk

cas <cas@...>

Thanks Lyn, I am feeling better already.

You know that’s a good idea too, using the felt pads.  We built an ironing stand out of a desk and file cabinet and it is very heavy and it is on the pads.  It has a whole platform for the bottom.  In fact, that desk is one reason I’m so cramped.  It has my drawer storage in it.  The dual mate was supposed to have drawers in the front but when I found it wouldn’t go flush unless I got the XL lift I lost my drawers, so my size calculations of whether it would fit in here were a bit off, lol!  My intentions were to put my ironing surface on the outback and the drawers between the lifts.

I could lose the rug from under the desk so I could use the felt pads.  I just have it there for sound reduction. 

You understood what I meant by thinking I’d have to be on the platform for the chair but I see how I would not if I cut out the foot well.

You are really a lot of help!  My DH has been a lot of help too.  He built me a counter that was recessed so my 15000 was flush and would fit, his 3rd modification as I kept buying new machines, lol!  I sometimes wish I was still using that.  He could have sawed a hole in the other end for my serger and I’d still have all that space in here.  Even with the counter my knees were brushing the recessed shelf as the counter was 28.5” off the floor so I could try to get my posture right, feet flat, and prevent pain.  I really had my hopes up that the Koala would help me and could kick myself for not checking it out thoroughly enough.  In my defense, it was the end of the day and I had walked away once, last night we were trying to remember why I went back and got roped in.
Cas

Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Re: Sewing Hoopsister's Blocks

Oh Cas, I hope you're on the mend now. I can imagine you are going to be out of commission for awhile.

I have a hard surface (vinyl) for flooring. We chose to omit the castors and just use the square, tapered legs for feet with heavy felt pads on the bottom of them so the desk could be moved more easily. It IS VERY HEAVY, but most people like the castors. I have a drafting chair in which I removed the castors and put chair glides with felt pads on the feet as it kept rolling around everywhere. I didn't have the appropriate castors for hard surfaces and ended up on my butt one day! :)

I have the Fashion 109 (formerly Roberts) lift with auto stop which has the fins you mentioned. It hasn't been a problem for me so far, but fortunately I have been able to adjust the chair. I am not on the platform (just the desk is) and about 4" had to been removed from the floor of the knee well to get my chair close enough.

There is a lot of planning and adjusting to any of these desks and fortunately my husband has been a good sport so far. I've always got him working on some project, poor guy! :)  I'm sure you'll be able to resolve these problems and our individual needs are always different. Good luck with it and get well soon!
Blessings
Lyn

To: janome12000@...
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:47 AM

Hi Lyn,
Thanks for all the great suggestions, and understanding the issues!  I had to take a break from the PC so I’m just getting to the email.  I had emergency appendectomy Monday morning.  OW, not feeling so great.

I was wondering if the knee well could be trimmed shorter.  It’s good to know it can.  They really should have placed the motor back further.  I like your suggestions for putting wood between the caster and desk.  We thought of that but it’s going to be so hard to do that we waited to see if there was other furniture I could trade for.  Husband is worried about what kind of casters they are. like how they mount in, and of course it’s not easy to look as the desk weighs 400 lbs and will have to be turned on its side.  He said he could dye spacers to match.  As far as putting the whole thing on a platform, it wouldn’t help the height because I would be on the platform too, and it is so huge that I have to be able to roll it out to get to the shelves in the back.

I like your first idea best, and will try to find a woodworker.  My husband is a mechanic and has fixed everything that comes along but I think he’s getting burned out.  Especially to spend so much money and still have to modify it.

Well, I’m dopey, my friends would agree even when I’m not on pain meds, lol, so I better get off the pc.
Smile
Cas

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:48 PM

Cas,
I am sorry for the problems you are having with your Koala cabinet. I know how expensive those wonderful cabinets are. Furthermore, I am very short with multiple back issues (continual pain) and found that the 3 heights Koala offers would not fit me. It was for this reason that I asked my husband to build a cabinet suited for my needs that includes the taller height (34" for me) and accommodations for my chair that allow me to sit close enough to the machine. He is a woodworker as a hobby and I am so blessed to have him. I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions that might be of some help.

1. First...possibly you could contact the closest woodworker's guild/club and ask for someone in the club that could make a couple of accommodations to your cabinet. Woodworkers and cabinet makers often have more understanding of these types of problems and how to fix it.
2. The floor of the knee well can be cut back a few inches to allow the chair to fit closer.
3. The height can be adjusted by putting a raised platform under the cabinets which is what my husband did for me. OR, just remove the castors - add wooden feet (probably square ones stained to match) to act as spacers that are the number of inches needed to raise the cabinet to suit your height. Then put the castors back in.

My husband had built these cabinets years ago at regular desk height. I loved them and wanted to make the accommodations on them rather than spend a fortune for something new that wasn't going to fit anyway. I wanted to attach a cutting table with a drop leaf, but it would be too short. This is how we came up with the idea of a raised platform underneath. We have wooden legs (square 3 1/2"x3 1/2" stained to match) that we set the plywood platform on. We had to do it this way for our particular situation, but would have just used legs only instead. I hope you can resolve your issues so you can enjoy yourself without pain.
Lyn

Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 7:40 AM

I just looked, lots of pretty stuff out there.  We’ll be looking forward to seeing your quilt.

I decided I want to add some 3D butterflies to some flowers that look too plain – yep I should have kept some of the embroidery in them, lol!  It was hard to tell till I sewed the blocks together.

Does anyone have recommendations for technique?  Could I make organza butterflies and then just bend them?  I saw some pretty lacy looking ones.

At the event we made flowers with what I think was organza and then used a hot iron to melt back to the stitching.  Has anyone done them?  I think the tip was to use poly organza, real organza will not melt.  I haven’t done embroidery for months. 

I was waiting for my Koala Dual Mate Desk to arrive and I was going to be soooooooooo comfortable. The plan was to use my serger while the 15000 was embroidering.   Not!  My knees bang on the lift and I can’t get close enough to sew with proper posture.   It’s killing my neck, literally.  I’m surprised people don’t complain about the design and get them to change it.  I told the manager of the store where I bought it and he went and sat at it and said he could see just what I mean, banged his knees right away,  but surprisingly not many people mention it.  I got the stand up model but it’s too short for my height.  It was an impulse buy and I didn’t test it out enough.  Or maybe the lift was up so I thought it was comfortable and roomy?   I thought I got the right height so I could stand comfortably too, but it isn’t if I want the flush surface.  If I had spent more time playing with it I would have lowered the machine and then sat at it... I also would have went through the motions of quilting on a flush surface while standing.

I know this is the Janome forum but just wanted to advise people to really test out sewing desks before you purchase one and get one that will work for you.  For the price I could have had someone build what I wanted.  I deal with pain issues and wanted to alternate standing and sitting, and can do neither comfortably, but this huge desk is taking up the whole room.  They will trade it for something else but there is not much available.  The Horn airlift desks have the lift on the back wall but they have big metal flanges that extend from it to hold the shelf.

Most models of desks I’ve seen have a foot board and you can’t get a decent stool with wheels close enough either.  I traded the monster wheel base Koala chair that came with my desk for sewing feet.

That reminds me, my Janome Clear View Quilting Foot and Guide set arrived yesterday.  That sure would have come in handy for the Hoopsisters blocks!  It has a convertible guide that can be set for 1/8” and you can sew 1/4” using the straight stitch plate.  I forgot I was getting it or I would have waited to sew them.

Cas

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 3:37 PM

Cas: Yes, that is the one I'm doing.
Have you looked at the Anita Goodesign CD's? I have several of her designs still waiting to be done. The one I'm most anxious to do is Golden Tapestry.  Just google quilts in the hoop and you'll see a lot of choices from different designers.

I'll post a pic when I'm done.  Hope to see a pic of yours when you finish.

Julia

Lynette Jurasevich <stevovaso@...>

Cas,
I completely understand about your decision to get the Koala. I really wanted to buy that beautiful set of cabinets. I decided against it for 3 reasons...couldn't get the right height for me, the cost, and I loved my maple cabinets my husband had built years ago. He offered to customize the Koala set, but I had put so much money in the 15000 and accessories that I couldn't justify it.

Your pressing stand sounds great. I wish I could have had been able to keep the pressing area separate. My room is small and this set up does take up A LOT of room. I needed a cutting/pressing table but would not fit separately so it had to be all one unit. Even so, it is a tight fit for sure! That is why I had to raise the height. My back will not allow me to bend over much so the whole thing would have to be adjusted to the taller height which started all of this. I think we've just about got it now.

Your husband sounds really handy so I'm sure you'll get it right. I think I'm wearing out my welcome with my husband...

Maybe someday I'll find the time to actually use my machine! LOL
Lyn

cas <cas@...>

I’m thinking we just need a bigger house to go with our bigger desks...
lol, you may not want to mention that one.

It’s funny spending so much time and effort just to be able to enjoy something that should be pleasant and relaxing ... yes!  go sew! enjoy!

Hugs,
Cas

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [janome12000] Re: Modifying Koala Desk

Cas,
I completely understand about your decision to get the Koala. I really wanted to buy that beautiful set of cabinets. I decided against it for 3 reasons...couldn't get the right height for me, the cost, and I loved my maple cabinets my husband had built years ago. He offered to customize the Koala set, but I had put so much money in the 15000 and accessories that I couldn't justify it.

Your pressing stand sounds great. I wish I could have had been able to keep the pressing area separate. My room is small and this set up does take up A LOT of room. I needed a cutting/pressing table but would not fit separately so it had to be all one unit. Even so, it is a tight fit for sure! That is why I had to raise the height. My back will not allow me to bend over much so the whole thing would have to be adjusted to the taller height which started all of this. I think we've just about got it now.

Your husband sounds really handy so I'm sure you'll get it right. I think I'm wearing out my welcome with my husband...

Maybe someday I'll find the time to actually use my machine! LOL
Lyn

NO...I won't mention that one! We downsized for retirement and it seemed like such a good idea at the time. We should have spent some time living in the doll house before we bought it!
Lyn

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:48 PM

It’s funny spending so much time and effort just to be able to enjoy something that should be pleasant and relaxing ... yes!  go sew! enjoy!

Hugs,
Cas

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

I have the Koala Treasure Chest IV, and love the extra height because I'm tall, and it would have killed my back to use the regular height extension on the back for cutting. I was able to purchase the floor model with everything available for it.  I wouldn't have bought it if I had to get the lower height!  My sewing room is part of my living room, and I wanted something that looked like furniture.  Space is limited, so even though it takes a lot of space, there's so much storage built in, that it works for me.  Not crazy about the chair.  It's pitched too far forward, and hard to climb onto it.  There's a great one somewhere, but it's quite expensive, and I don't even remember the name!  No one in my house is handy, so everything I get has to be used as is, so this was a good solution for me.  The store was discounting floor models 20%, so it seemed like the best solution.  The 12000 fits perfectly on the lift, but I don't think anything larger would fit.  As it is, the 5 thread stand on the back makes it just a tiny bit too tall to lower it.  It was attached to the machine when I got it, and it seems to only come off by taking the screws out, so I don't lower it!

There's so much to learn about the 12000, but I love the reliability of it more than anything else.  I've finally stopped waiting to see what's going to go wrong when I sew.  It's so forgiving, and rather than getting birds nests, I usually just get the broken thread message.  I went wit5h a friend to pick up her 12000, and vowed right then to get one as soon as the 15000 came out, so I could get a trade in.  (Got the floor model, which to me was even better!)  Sue

That is so good to hear Sue. It's great when we can find something that fits our needs.
Happy Sewing!
Lyn

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:34 AM
Subject: [janome12000] Re: Modifying Koala Desk

I have the Koala Treasure Chest IV, and love the extra height because I'm tall, and it would have killed my back to use the regular height extension on the back for cutting. I was able to purchase the floor model with everything available for it.  I wouldn't have bought it if I had to get the lower height!  My sewing room is part of my living room, and I wanted something that looked like furniture.  Space is limited, so even though it takes a lot of space, there's so much storage built in, that it works for me.  Not crazy about the chair.  It's pitched too far forward, and hard to climb onto it.  There's a great one somewhere, but it's quite expensive, and I don't even remember the name!  No one in my house is handy, so everything I get has to be used as is, so this was a good solution for me.  The store was discounting floor models 20%, so it seemed like the best solution.  The 12000 fits perfectly on the lift, but I don't think anything larger would fit.  As it is, the 5 thread stand on the back makes it just a tiny bit too tall to lower it.  It was attached to the machine when I got it, and it seems to only come off by taking the screws out, so I don't lower it!

There's so much to learn about the 12000, but I love the reliability of it more than anything else.  I've finally stopped waiting to see what's going to go wrong when I sew.  It's so forgiving, and rather than getting birds nests, I usually just get the broken thread message.  I went wit5h a friend to pick up her 12000, and vowed right then to get one as soon as the 15000 came out, so I could get a trade in.  (Got the floor model, which to me was even better!)  Sue

cas <cas@...>

LOL!  I hear yah!  This was supposed to be our final house, we’ve moved too many times over the years.  We didn’t plan to have a sewing studio when we chose this floor plan though.  Well, he’d like a bigger garage and more storage and a jet tub, or at least a tub big enough to take a bath in!  so ...

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:22 PM

NO...I won't mention that one! We downsized for retirement and it seemed like such a good idea at the time. We should have spent some time living in the doll house before we bought it!
Lyn

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:48 PM

Hugs,
Cas

Cheryl Paul

Maybe you girls need to have a basement, or built an upstairs bedroom and just take over that space on your sewing level. How can we make something that we enjoy so much, consume so much time with “fitting” our things into a room that is to small for them. I’m beginning to think that the sewing machine planners and engineers are going to have to come up with giving us big embroidery space but smaller machines - think it is possible?

I’m into CLEANING my sewing space. I have a room that is 14’ X 17’ and can hardly move in it. I’ve hired a friend to “organize me”. She was here 1/2 day this week and took away 2 garbage bags away - one recycle and I put one in the garbage. I have recycled many patterns and a need to purge even more. I wish I knew what to do with the all the patterns that I thought I needed and haven’t even taken out of the packet - like hundreds of dollars worth over the years. Then there is the fabric that I would also have purchased for some of them. I do NEED to get a space cleaned off to sew a bit as I’m going into severe withdrawal.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

cas <cas@...>

Sue, It’s great you have a wonderful machine and desk!  It’s even nicer that you got a good deal on it.  I didn’t like the chair either so my dealer exchanged it for other items.  The 2nd height which I thought would fit me is too short and the next one up is too tall, so I’ll be making adjustments.

If anyone is looking at buying one, or any furniture, make sure and sit and use it like you would at home.  Lower the sewing machine so it’s flush with the surface, make sure everything is comfy.  If you have a favorite chair I’d advise bringing it with to see how it works with the desk.
Cas

cas <cas@...>

Cheryl,
I’d love to have your 14’x17’ room!  Did you know the whole back half of the house has enough room for a floor below it?  It currently has a floor built down there for storage.  I think if I was going to spend the money to finish it I’d rather move.  It could be a huge sewing area.  I’d have to put a window and 1/2 bath and everything though. 

When are you gals driving through again?  (location private) You can bring me your patterns and cloth, I have all downstairs to store it, lol!  I’ll even give you more options for snacks with the coffee since she can’t have chocolate, GASP how can anyone sew without chocolate assistance?

Seriously though, congrats on cleaning out two bags, it’s a grand start.  It’s so easy to buy patterns and cloth, especially when you go to all those events and there’s always something new and pretty out there.  I’m even amazed at how many patterns I have saved on the PC in the “some day” folder.  I was actually relieved when I updated to Win7 and lost them, but then went and found “old windows” and got them back.  Now I have to go through them and store them elsewhere.  Maybe I should just delete them all again. 

I recently went through magazines, books and patterns and wondered what I was thinking when I bought them or saved them as they don’t appeal to me now.  So I’m trying to only buy as I go from now on. Let’s not discuss the fact that I have the AQS site open as we speak with a pattern in my cart, lol.

It’s the “rban Renewal” jacket pattern.  Has anyone made it?

Good luck getting it sorted.  Maybe set a timer for 30 minutes each day, it’s surprising how much can get done in that time.  You could have a yard sale in the Spring and sell Kits with the pattern and fabric you chose, people would love that!  You could host a sewing exchange party and just be sure to give more than you get.
Cas

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:33 PM

Maybe you girls need to have a basement, or built an upstairs bedroom and just take over that space on your sewing level. How can we make something that we enjoy so much, consume so much time with “fitting” our things into a room that is to small for them. I’m beginning to think that the sewing machine planners and engineers are going to have to come up with giving us big embroidery space but smaller machines - think it is possible?

I’m into CLEANING my sewing space. I have a room that is 14’ X 17’ and can hardly move in it. I’ve hired a friend to “organize me”. She was here 1/2 day this week and took away 2 garbage bags away - one recycle and I put one in the garbage. I have recycled many patterns and a need to purge even more. I wish I knew what to do with the all the patterns that I thought I needed and haven’t even taken out of the packet - like hundreds of dollars worth over the years. Then there is the fabric that I would also have purchased for some of them. I do NEED to get a space cleaned off to sew a bit as I’m going into severe withdrawal.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Cheryl,
How lucky to have 14' x 17' for a sewing room! It must be beautiful. It IS so hard to get rid of "future projects. I would love to meet your organizing friend!  I had a basement sewing room and LOVED it. When we moved from our old house in 2004, I donated 2- 7'x24" pantry cabinets full of my fabric collection to the school district  knowing I would have no where to store it. We bought a house 1/2 the size of that one. I was no longer going to do tailoring/garment sewing. I had tons of tailoring equipment and books. I had every gadget available. All I want to do now is embroider and maybe learn to quilt. I am trying to take the "minimalist" approach to sewing now. After all the purging, I still have a lot of "gadgets" I can't seem to let go of including a collection of zippers! :)

So, there is only so much room to "fit" all of our things. I love your idea to give us "BIG" embroidery space and smaller machines!

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:33 PM

Cheryl - Saskatoon

Lou Ann

I thought I was the ONLY ONE who didn’t have enough room for this fun and frustrating “hobby”!! I store my stabilizers in boxes under the spare bedroom bed, cut and hoop fabric on the dining room table and use the ironing board as extra horizontal space for fabric and projects. I would LOVE to have an entire level in the house devoted to sewing and embroidery and even then I would hang a sign on the door “Do No Enter”!
Lou Ann Bush
louannbush@...

Cheryl Paul

Sue, I have the 5 spool thread stand and what I’ve done is loosened the screws so that I can just “hang” the stand on it and then it comes off and on easily. You need to be careful that the screws aren’t loosened so much that they fall out. I haven’t had any issues but that would be something that you would have to look at yourself to know if you would trust doing what I did. I never even gave it a second thought until Eric, our sewing technician mentioned it - but I still do what I do and he doesn’t tighten the screws on me anymore either.

Cheryl - Saskatoon

cas <cas@...>

lol!  I do too!  The dining room is now the “sewing annex” as the countertop is my large cutting area.  My extra stand up sewing machine desk and cutting mat and finished blocks are all in DH’s room, Storage and sewing cupboard in my bed room, etc.  and I don’t even have stash like some of you!  This is just for a few projects I’m working on!
Cas

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:50 AM

I thought I was the ONLY ONE who didn’t have enough room for this fun and frustrating “hobby”!! I store my stabilizers in boxes under the spare bedroom bed, cut and hoop fabric on the dining room table and use the ironing board as extra horizontal space for fabric and projects. I would LOVE to have an entire level in the house devoted to sewing and embroidery and even then I would hang a sign on the door “Do No Enter”!
Lou Ann Bush
louannbush@...

Cheryl,
Take heart...you are NOT the only one! :) If you could only see the crazy things I've done to store my stuff. It seems that I'm looking at any and every nook and cranny for a place to store something. Thankfully, I'm a pretty organized person and can usually get rid of clothing and household items, but my sewing stuff is hard to part with. I guess the only solution IS that entire floor devoted to our embroidery and hobby interests. :)

I love the idea of a DO NOT ENTER sign...let's embroider one!
Lyn

From: "Lou Ann Bush louannbush@... [janome12000]" <janome12000@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:50 AM

Lou Ann Bush
louannbush@...

Sue Raabe <susies.stitches@...>

Why is it that there's "never enough", be it fabric, designs, space or money for it all!  In addition to everything else, I have easily over 100 t-shirts in bins left over from the time when I thought I wanted to be a commercial embroiderer. The same thing with fabric and patterns.  We've been in this house for almost 30 years, and it's bursting at the seams :-)  It's time to accept reality, and simplify.  In the last 10 years, I have bought and sold a 15 needle commercial machine, 3 embroidery machines (although Janome will be the last - I love it!), a serger, and a quilting machine.  I've managed to whittle down my stash a little by donating fabric to my guild to make quilts for Families in Transition, and kids who go to summer camp.  I wouldn't need to "find more space" if I had less stuff.  I've seem many friends wit much smaller spaces than mine who manage perfectly fine because they know their limits.  Guess I'm finally facing reality.  Stay tuned for freebies when I finally start downsizing!  As they say, less is more.  Sue

P.S. thanks for the advice on the thread stand - I'll give it a try.

ceilsews <no_reply@...>

Sue,
You really struck a chord with me!  I stocked up on fabric and materials when my daughter and her husband had a retail shop and it seemed that it would be great for me to sew items that they could sell (profits to them). Then I bought my embroidery machine and had more big ideas.  Then they decided to move due to the chance for a much better school system and sold their business.  If I lived to be 200 I could never use up all the materials I have!  Time to thin things out rather than just organize.  I even have groups of similar scraps that I now know I'll never sew into a quilt.  I even have my wonderful MC6000 (New Home) machine with every foot created!  I'll probably never sew on it again.  I'm thinking that perhaps my grandchildren's new school system might welcome fabric or (like zucchini) I could drop off bags of it onto doorsteps during the night!
Ceil

Paula McLaughlin <paularmcl@...>

The fabric thing is real! My sister is up visiting and today she helped me thin out my stash. I still had little 2x4 remnants of some things! We threw out two big bags of scraps . Then she made me decide what I will use and what I will not. I was nervous! Then I just had to laugh that I was so hesitant to give up 10 year old fabric. Any way, we put together a huge bag of old remnants and fat quarters which she put up on Facebook for free. Someone called within 5 minutes and I'm sure she'll be very happy with her new fabric! My stash is much smaller and more organized now. A very productive day .

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 17, 2016, at 9:54 AM, ceilsews <no_reply@...> wrote:

Sue,
You really struck a chord with me!  I stocked up on fabric and materials when my daughter and her husband had a retail shop and it seemed that it would be great for me to sew items that they could sell (profits to them). Then I bought my embroidery machine and had more big ideas.  Then they decided to move due to the chance for a much better school system and sold their business.  If I lived to be 200 I could never use up all the materials I have!  Time to thin things out rather than just organize.  I even have groups of similar scraps that I now know I'll never sew into a quilt.  I even have my wonderful MC6000 (New Home) machine with every foot created!  I'll probably never sew on it again.  I'm thinking that perhaps my grandchildren's new school system might welcome fabric or (like zucchini) I could drop off bags of it onto doorsteps during the night!
Ceil

Well said, Sue! Since we down sized, I have gotten rid of my fabric stash which was for garment sewing, buttons, notions, books, gravity feed iron and a bunch more. We have a new rule... we try to only replace instead of add and try to avoid the "hoarding" mentality. I just hoard thread now. I only purchase fabric for a single, current project. I had started hoarding embroidery designs, but am trying to avoid that. It's a process for sure. I have half the room for sewing that I had in the past, but it's much more organized. I just need to control my love of gadgets now! :)
Good luck with the downsizing.
Lyn

Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:28 AM

Why is it that there's "never enough", be it fabric, designs, space or money for it all!  In addition to everything else, I have easily over 100 t-shirts in bins left over from the time when I thought I wanted to be a commercial embroiderer. The same thing with fabric and patterns.  We've been in this house for almost 30 years, and it's bursting at the seams :-)  It's time to accept reality, and simplify.  In the last 10 years, I have bought and sold a 15 needle commercial machine, 3 embroidery machines (although Janome will be the last - I love it!), a serger, and a quilting machine.  I've managed to whittle down my stash a little by donating fabric to my guild to make quilts for Families in Transition, and kids who go to summer camp.  I wouldn't need to "find more space" if I had less stuff.  I've seem many friends wit much smaller spaces than mine who manage perfectly fine because they know their limits.  Guess I'm finally facing reality.  Stay tuned for freebies when I finally start downsizing!  As they say, less is more.  Sue

P.S. thanks for the advice on the thread stand - I'll give it a try.

Patrice Krant

Hi Paula: rather than throw out the scraps next time, throw them into an old pillow case, sew up the open end, and donate it to your local animal shelter as a dog bed! My local quilting group meets weekly and we all bring our scraps from the previous week; to date, we've donated at least 50 dog and cat beds to our local (Homer, Alaska) animal shelter.