Windows 10 update by mistake!

Anne Parker

Just thought I would let people know I updated my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 by mistake last night!

I thought I was restarting for a normal update but the next thing I know Windows 10 is installing!

Anyway my USB drive and MBX Dongle were still attached so I left them.  Luckily I had upgraded MBX and the Dongle a couple of months ago so when the system came back MBX ran first time - infact most everything did except for my Bullguard firewall.  I'm also left with the issue that I hadn't deactivated EQ7 so it now thinks I have two installs active!  I elected to go through the options at installation so I could set my own default programs and privacy settings from the start rather than letting Microsoft set them.

The firewall just needed a laptop restart to finish reinstalling itself and all was ok.  Windows switches it's own firewall on, and it seems on Windows 10 it is ok to have both Windows and a 3rd Party firewall active.

One thing I have found is that 'System Restore' had been switched off, so you may want to check if yours is turned on if it is something you would use to roll back if you install new software etc.

You can't stop an update being installed but you can uninstall an update causing problems, though it will reinstall the next time microsoft does it's updates - this reinstall can be stopped using a small program downloaded from microsoft - though I've not yet had occasion to download and use it.  If people want further details I'm happy to provide them so send me an email.

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Cathy DeWolf

Hi Anne -

My PC also updated to Win 10, but I restored it back to Win 7.

Please tell me about the program to prevent it from installing again.

Thanks,
Cathy

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 2, 2015, at 8:05 AM, Anne Parker lokicat6@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

[...]

MarieD <marie.drozdis@...>

For those who don't want to install the upgrade, there are plenty of sites
online that have little programs that prevent Win10 from installing
automatically. They also identify the Microsoft Knowledge Base download
that keeps nudging owners to install Win10. Once I deleted that, I no
longer get the notifications. A web search will identify those.

I have the upgrade on my laptop and do like it, but I am deliberately
staying with Win7 on my desktop. I have a couple of necessary programs that
will not run on Win8/8.1 so Win7 stays with me. I don't know or care if
they work with 10, but I doubt it.

MarieD

cmgazerro@...

What seems to be problem with W10?  I did and aside from the learning curve, I love it.  As with all computer issues I absorb on an as need basis.  The possibilities are endless and trying to learn all at once is more than overwhelming.  Microsoft support has been really good also.  FYI:   When opening ZIP embroidery files I like to "select all".  Then select janome and PDF files before deleting the other files.  Could not find the "select all" feature.  Did search on web and discovered the feature is under the "Home" tab.  Now all is good.  Hope this helps.
Carolyn

Judy Jackson <judy.j282@...>

I agree Carolyn, although I have had to get my brain working I have had no issues with W10 or wth any of my existing software.

Judy, Cornwall Uk

Sent from my iPad

On 2 Dec 2015, at 17:00, cmgazerro@... [janome12000] <janome12000@...> wrote:

What seems to be problem with W10?  I did and aside from the learning curve, I love it.  As with all computer issues I absorb on an as need basis.  The possibilities are endless and trying to learn all at once is more than overwhelming.  Microsoft support has been really good also.  FYI:   When opening ZIP embroidery files I like to "select all".  Then select janome and PDF files before deleting the other files.  Could not find the "select all" feature.  Did search on web and discovered the feature is under the "Home" tab.  Now all is good.  Hope this helps.

Carolyn

Anne Parker

Don't get me wrong - I have no real issue with upgrading to Windows 10 - but had planned to do it in the New Year, not in the middle of making my Christmas presents!   I wanted to advise that I didn't get any option to choose, it just started the install when I did a restart. (I had been refuseing the install over the past few months).  On searching the forums it seems this has happened to others as well!  Luckly I had done MBX and dongle updates, plus backed up my data, ready for it.  And I have now been in touch with EQ7 support and my activations are sorted.

I know I could back it out, but having checked everything is working I don't see any reason to.  My main concerns were whether my ASUSDVD which is a version of Cyberlink Power DVD 10 would work and whether there would be options not to install updates I didn't want to.

It turns out Power DVD 10 works, though documentation on the Cyberlink site said I would need to update, and there is a way, if a little convoluted, to uninstall and hide any update you don't want - so I'm a happy bunny.  I also seem to have Windows Media Player - or at least a nearly complete version of it - which at one time Microsoft said wouldn't be available.  I had understood a DVD playing app would be available instead but this looks like the original.  Maybe Microsoft relented!

Anyway I like Windows 10 - now that I've tweaked it, and sorted Bullguard Firewall and System Restore settings. :0)

Anne
www.sewingtales.wordpress.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance". Anon

Cat - N

Doesn't CTRL+A work to SELECT ALL in Win10?

- Cat

What seems to be problem with W10?  I did and aside from the learning curve, I love it.  As with all computer issues I absorb on an as need basis.  The possibilities are endless and trying to learn all at once is more than overwhelming.  Microsoft support has been really good also.  FYI:   When opening ZIP embroidery files I like to "select all".  Then select janome and PDF files before deleting the other files.  Could not find the "select all" feature.  Did search on web and discovered the feature is under the "Home" tab.  Now all is good.  Hope this helps.
Carolyn

Vikki Youngmeyer

I accidentally started the Windows 10 upgrade on my small Lenovo computer which I use when I travel or for dog shows. I, too, was planning to do it between Christmas and New Year’s. It installed okay so I left it alone, but tweaked a couple of things. Then I went and updated it on this computer, again, all went well.

Vikki

Houston, TX

[...]

Carolyn Gazerro <cmgazerro@...>

Just tried it and it does work.  Had to highlight one item for it to work in the unzipped folder.  If I use Ctl A on an email I don’t have to highlight anything to select all.

Thanks for the tip.

Carolyn Gazerro

cmgazerro@...

401-821-8008